What lens to use for intended area?

The North Face

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
About a year ago I started reading here when getting my first real outdoor IP camera and eventually settled on a HDW-1230S (because I’m a cheapskate) ordered through Andy. Overall satisfied with the camera though I would wish that IVS events would be announced over ONVIF.

My use case is that over the winter, I have a boat standing in my yard and I want people to stay away from it. The camera is part of that setup. I’m now considering an upgrade to a T5241H-AS-PV mostly for the Active Deterrence and People Detection functionality, but not sure what lens size to get.

In picture attached, you can see the current HDW-1230S view with a 2.8mm lens. The red box is the area I really want covered, the dashed area would be good but not essential. The full image I have now is basically too wide.

816E9EEA-D6B7-4B5F-9CF0-2C4D07FF72AF.jpeg

My question: should I go with 3.6mm, 6mm or even stay with 2.8mm?

My second option is the varifocal HDW-2231R-ZS if I decide I can live without Active Deterrence. I know the mounting point might not be optimal for what I want to achieve, but it was the only practical option for a number of reasons.

ntssyd

n3wb
Reaction score
You need to measure the distance from the camera mounting place to where the boat is and then use one of the online calculators to work out what lens to get.

The best tool I found is the calculator from IPVM. Not free but if you can spare the $100 for a 3 month subscription (minimum length) then you'll get the camera you need. I forked out for it because $100 was less than my time is worth mucking around with different cameras (possibly getting the wrong one and having to return it) and I didn't need the frustration.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You need to measure the distance from the camera mounting place to where the boat is and then use one of the online calculators to work out what lens to get.

The best tool I found is the calculator from IPVM. Not free but if you can spare the $100 for a 3 month subscription (minimum length) then you'll get the camera you need. I forked out for it because $100 was less than my time is worth mucking around with different cameras (possibly getting the wrong one and having to return it) and I didn't need the frustration.
The ipvm calculator is free. For that kind of money the op can just buy a varifocal

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The ipvm calculator is free. For that kind of money the op can just buy a varifocal
Yes... Seems it is - I never had to pay:
IPVM Camera Calculator V3

Where is the IPVM calculator for purchase? I don't get where you saw this information paid $100?

ntssyd

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot that it is free unless you try to use a floorplan. I used a floorplan because the satellite pics didn't zoom enough on my site, the site has too many nooks and crannies and I also put some cameras inside which the satellite pics do nothing about.

Re:Varifocal. OP indicated that the varifocal doesn't have the deterrence features he wants.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot that it is free unless you try to use a floorplan. I used a floorplan because the satellite pics didn't zoom enough on my site, the site has too many nooks and crannies and I also put some cameras inside which the satellite pics do nothing about.

Re:Varifocal. OP indicated that the varifocal doesn't have the deterrence features he wants.
Thanks I do appreciate you explaining this. It makes more sense that I never did this.