What % of CPU Blue Iris server usage becomes a concern?

Reaction score
Trying to gauge how much my little i7-4770S cpu can handle before an upgrade is needed. Right now, hovers around 50% running: 8 x 2MP and 3 x 4MP at 15FPS (I forget the total bitstream bits at this moment). I am not full time recording (surely, that takes up some CPU) as waiting for a 4pin power adapter to get my WD Purple 8TB running). And I maybe add in 2 more 4772's (4MP) cams in the near future. For a total of 13. #14 cam could be a doorbell cam if ever one comes out with POE (I wired my house this summer/fall and do not want to go WIFI for it).

cam913

n3wb
Reaction score
My playback chocking issue at x8 and sometimes x4 playback was caused when the "NEW" videos was stored on a Spinning Hard Drive. Having "NEW" storage as a SSD Drive fixed my playback chocking issue, since the "NEW" storage SSD is writing from many cameras and reading for playing-back all at once. Now I view "NEW" videos at x16 without issue.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My playback chocking issue at x8 and sometimes x4 playback was caused when the "NEW" videos was stored on a Spinning Hard Drive. Having "NEW" storage as a SSD Drive fixed my playback chocking issue, since the "NEW" storage SSD is writing from many cameras and reading for playing-back all at once. Now I view "NEW" videos at x16 without issue.
Unless the drive is defective or has very poor read speeds a "spinning" hard drive would not cause the issues described.

cam913

n3wb
Reaction score
Unless the drive is defective or has very poor read speeds a "spinning" hard drive would not cause the issues described.
At the time the "NEW" storage spinning drive was working when playing back at 1x, 2x and 4x but +8x was skipping to many frames to make it view-able. Having hours of footage to go through it was taking too much of my time. Recording from multiple cameras was never an issue maybe because I'm using WD NAS 2TB Hard Drive. Having a spare Samsung 500GB 850EVO was the ticket for "NEW" Storage with great playback at 16x. Now the 2TB is as "STORED" Storage and I just tried viewing some footage from last month at 16x playback and it played fine. This is just my experience.

Reaction score
At the time the "NEW" storage spinning drive was working when playing back at 1x, 2x and 4x but +8x was skipping to many frames to make it view-able. Having hours of footage to go through it was taking too much of my time. Recording from multiple cameras was never an issue maybe because I'm using WD NAS 2TB Hard Drive. Having a spare Samsung 500GB 850EVO was the ticket for "NEW" Storage with great playback at 16x. Now the 2TB is as "STORED" Storage and I just tried viewing some footage from last month at 16x playback and it played fine. This is just my experience.
Curious. I just bought the Synology Nas mainly for storing files. First bay has a 6 tb red Seagate hd. 2nd bay empty. Wonder if I can put my Western digital 8tb purple in second Bay and use it there instead of in USB port where it is in an external drive

cam913

n3wb
Reaction score
Curious. I just bought the Synology Nas mainly for storing files. First bay has a 6 tb red Seagate hd. 2nd bay empty. Wonder if I can put my Western digital 8tb purple in second Bay and use it there instead of in USB port where it is in an external drive
I have an 10 year old DS409 Synology NAS 4-bay that originally had 4x WD 1.5TB drives in RAID 5 and 2 years ago one of the drives was acting up. I backup the files and upgraded all 4 drives to HGST 3TB in RAID 1. With RAID configurations I prefer to use all the same drives. Unless the 2 drives will be used in a non-RAID configuration, it should be fine.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Once again that is not normal operation. I can playback 256x off a spinning drive.

Reaction score
If your storage drive has an MBR instead of a GPT partition, and your drive controller is not in AHCI mode, that's your problem. Your drive should have a GPT partition table, and the controller should be in AHCI mode. Disk partitions are created by Windows Disk Management (or a partitioning utility) and the controller mode is set in your computer's BIOS.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If your storage drive has an MBR instead of a GPT partition, and your drive controller is not in ACHI mode, that's your problem. Your drive should have a GPT partition table, and the controller should be in ACHI mode. Disk partitions are created by Windows Disk Management (or a partitioning utility) and the controller mode is set in your computer's BIOS.
Can the ACHI mode be changed on the fly without problems?

Reaction score

cam913

n3wb
Reaction score
If your storage drive has an MBR instead of a GPT partition, and your drive controller is not in AHCI mode, that's your problem. Your drive should have a GPT partition table, and the controller should be in AHCI mode. Disk partitions are created by Windows Disk Management (or a partitioning utility) and the controller mode is set in your computer's BIOS.
My system is on Windows 8.1Pro. I did check the Windows IDE driver and it is a Standard SATA AHCI Controller. All drives are in MBR mode.

KB41786

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm stumped and would greatly appreciate some assistance. I have a dedicated BI5 Win10 device with an i7 7700 and 16GB RAM. I have the 4664 driver for the i7, hardware acceleration off, 9 cameras, all dumbed down to 10fps, but the absolute moment I start BI5, the processor goes to 100% and RAM usage fluctuates, but spikes at near complete usage all available. I used BI4 for some time and definitely had the memory leak problem, but I was able to use the BI4, though processor usage was always high. I'm a novice, but I've tried to read and implement all information I could find. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Now, BI5 not only runs at 96%-100%, it starts out that high immediately and stays that high, it crashes often, and the computer and BI5 are not usable when BI5 is running (the 100% freezes everything). Hopefully, I included most of the pertinent information, but I'd be glad to explain anything else further and try anything to get this to work. I really prefer BI, if I can get it to work. I also want to add cameras this weekend.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
KB41786

1) Provide a screen shots system status cameras status.jpg StatusBar.jpg
2) Provide a screen shots system status clips storage
3) did you do a clean install of windows 10
4) did you migrate the cameras settings for BI 4 to BI 5 ? how did you do that.
5) are you recording continuously direct to disk ?
6) are your recording direct to disk ?
7) are all your disk drives internal ?
8) what version of BI ?
9) what version of windows ?
10) are you using a virus scanner ? Have you removed the BI video folders from the virus scanner ?
11) provided a screen shot of the windows task manager sorted by memory big to small
12) a screen shots from two of your camera settings (in the camera not bi) Video tab ... resolution ,frame, iframe .......
13) what cameras make/model are you using ?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm stumped and would greatly appreciate some assistance. I have a dedicated BI5 Win10 device with an i7 7700 and 16GB RAM. I have the 4664 driver for the i7, hardware acceleration off, 9 cameras, all dumbed down to 10fps, but the absolute moment I start BI5, the processor goes to 100% and RAM usage fluctuates, but spikes at near complete usage all available. I used BI4 for some time and definitely had the memory leak problem, but I was able to use the BI4, though processor usage was always high. I'm a novice, but I've tried to read and implement all information I could find. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Now, BI5 not only runs at 96%-100%, it starts out that high immediately and stays that high, it crashes often, and the computer and BI5 are not usable when BI5 is running (the 100% freezes everything). Hopefully, I included most of the pertinent information, but I'd be glad to explain anything else further and try anything to get this to work. I really prefer BI, if I can get it to work. I also want to add cameras this weekend.
There are also some good trouble shooting tips in the BI help file. It can be read without starting BI, it's a PDF file in the BI program folder.

tran383

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
7) are all your disk drives internal ?
How important is it to have internal drives only? I only have 1 extra slot for my 6TB purple drive but thinking of adding another 6TB for external storage. Will there be issues with connecting a usb external for additional storage?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
How important is it to have internal drives only? I only have 1 extra slot for my 6TB purple drive but thinking of adding another 6TB for external storage. Will there be issues with connecting a usb external for additional storage?
This all depends on the architecture of your PC and the external USB hard drives as to what speeds you will get and how it will perform. If you can add an internal then that is the route I would take. Also don't forget that some USB drives can be 'shucked' and used as internal drives. I only have 2 x 2Tb internal drives in my BI PC and am planning on buying some WD external drives so that I can shuck them and replace my 2 x 2Tb drives. Just waiting for the right price and drives to come on Christmas special :)