What router are you guys using?

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm using a Synology RT2600ac but looking to move on to something else that has OpenVPN, a good firewall with logs, and AP's i can spread around the house. Been thinking about Ubiquiti but they lack two of the things i want, wondering what you guys are using.

My Synology 2.4 Ghz radio is dead.

I have,
2,200 square feet single story plus a garage to cover
60 IOT devices
20 IP Cameras
GIG Internet

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm using a Synology RT2600ac but looking to move on to something else that has OpenVPN, a good firewall with logs, and AP's i can spread around the house. Been thinking about Ubiquiti but they lack two of the things i want
I’m happy with my Ubiquiti USG and 3 APs. What two things are you missing?

sakau

n3wb
Reaction score
Just upgraded from the garbage that my ISP provided my wife to a Unifi Dream Machine setup. Love it,

Serodgers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ubiquity here. Edgerouter POE, EdgeSwitch-24 POE250watt, 2 AP in ceiling for whole house coverage.

VLANs for general PC, IPcams and IOT devices. VPN server hosted in EdgeRouter so when i am not home phone is auto connected to home setup. BI works great and cameras are isolated in a VLAN.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How is the VPN on Ubiquiti as they don't support OpenVPN? I use it to view ip cams without port fwd.

I've been looking at the UDM Pro since it can handle GIG internet but seems overkill for me.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
USG for me. I have WireGuard setup in a Linux VM for VPN access.

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’m happy with my Ubiquiti USG and 3 APs. What two things are you missing?
pretty much the same with the added UniFi AP AC In Wall in my workshop that not only gives me a 4th access point but also a POE and regular ethernet connection.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I also have an Asus Rt-ac86u. It does what I need it to do, and wifi is very strong. It was very easy to get it on openvpn with the stock firmware.

LopezEL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unifi Dream Machine. (not the pro)
If I were to do it all over, I'd go for the older USG. I haven't had major issues with the UDM but it does have a few bugs that need to be worked out.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unifi Dream Machine. (not the pro)
If I were to do it all over, I'd go for the older USG. I haven't had major issues with the UDM but it does have a few bugs that need to be worked out.
I have read about the bugs. Does it have firewall logs from what I can tell it does not without some extra work.

lacibaci

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ubnt EdgeRouter Pro with a couple of UAP-AC-PRO Wi-Fi access points.

spile

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
BT Smarthub 2 with a Netgear guest wifi slave and a Raspberry Pi running PiVpn / Wireguard.

LopezEL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I haven't figured out how to view the logs. There is an option to turn the feature on but the logs have to be downloaded through ssh commands?

awonson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
USG Pro 4 with 2x AC Lite, 1x NanoHD, 1x UAP-M-AC. Run OpenVPN on Raspberry Pi 4B+ and have the USG also configured with L2TP VPN.