What should I buy

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Been reading a lot here since I've found this place.
I'm looking to wire my house with camera's.
Road in brown, in black is house connected to me.
In orange dots I've marked where I have wires ready
Is this layout fine ?

Regaring Cameras, I saw that Starlight are the most recommended, but its a little to pricey for me (I prefer Dahua or Hikvision).
What models should do that work ? I taught about Dahau 4431 Bullets
upload_2018-3-10_22-54-6.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You know what to buy...100 dollars for a starlight is not pricey...avoid China region hacked cameras

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Chura,

Welcome to the forum. Like many newbies, your initial questions are very basic, and broad. Many, many new members have asked the same questions. The experts here get fatigued answering the same basic questions, ad infinitum. So they don't reply.
Secondly, asking a question, and then waiting for an answer, takes time. You'll get your questions answered much more quickly if you search this forum instead. The answers are here, just waiting for you to find immediately. "Search" is your friend.

Starlights are great performers. The Varifocal feature is great, but does increase the price. You could use a non-varifocal Starrlight. but you must pick the right lens for the cam location. See the IPVM camera calculator to get an idea of FOV for different lens sizes.

I recommend you start with one cam, and get up the learning curve.
Search here for "Test Rig", "bullet vs turret", "camera location", "camera height", "coverage", "choke point", "spiders", etc.

Again, welcome!

Fastb

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
You may want something covering your door. From so far as I can tell, it's either recessed and out of site of the camera at the bottom left of the diagram, or it's possibly double doored in which case the outer door looks hidden by the wall corner at the end of the path.

Either way, whilst the bottom left camera may catch someone coming down the path, it looks as if it won't cover what actually happens at the door so if someone threatens you, forces entry or assaults you etc, the camera may not show it. So personally I'd consider an extra camera covering the door.

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
+1^^^

Also, avoid bullet-style unless you enjoy getting out the ladder to clean spider webs monthly and in the mean time learn to live with false motion detections.
Thanks for the tip! Then i'll have to use some bracket or I can use the Turrets sidewise ?

Read attached.
Wow, That was very helpful, finished reading and got many question answered!

Chura,
Starlights are great performers. The Varifocal feature is great, but does increase the price. You could use a non-varifocal Starrlight. but you must pick the right lens for the cam location. See the IPVM camera calculator to get an idea of FOV for different lens sizes.

I recommend you start with one cam, and get up the learning curve.
Search here for "Test Rig", "bullet vs turret", "camera location", "camera height", "coverage", "choke point", "spiders", etc.

Again, welcome!

Fastb
Thanks Fastb, I did search and read a lot, just didn't bump into the spider thing.

You may want something covering your door. From so far as I can tell, it's either recessed and out of site of the camera at the bottom left of the diagram, or it's possibly double doored in which case the outer door looks hidden by the wall corner at the end of the path.

Either way, whilst the bottom left camera may catch someone coming down the path, it looks as if it won't cover what actually happens at the door so if someone threatens you, forces entry or assaults you etc, the camera may not show it. So personally I'd consider an extra camera covering the door.
I taught about it, but I've figured i'll get LTS or Hikvision doorbell that will cover that location. is it any different ?