What should I do with the extra pigtails?

evilblackdog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm mounting my new Dahua starlights and I want to run the wires externally i.e. not drilling a hole through the center of the mount to run them directly through the wall.

What is the best practice to wrangle the extra pigtails in a clean and weatherproof fashion?
Part of me just wants to cut them off knowing it's unlikely that I'll ever do anything with them but the other part of me is loathe to commit so absolutely.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm mounting my new Dahua starlights and I want to run the wires externally i.e. not drilling a hole through the center of the mount to run them directly through the wall.

What is the best practice to wrangle the extra pigtails in a clean and weatherproof fashion?
Part of me just wants to cut them off knowing it's unlikely that I'll ever do anything with them but the other part of me is loathe to commit so absolutely.
wrap the entire connection in coax seal/silicon tape..

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Put them in an electrical box that the camera is mounted to

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You're right, looking at them again they don't look to bad. Thy're not cheap though considering I've got 10 cameras!
its a worthwhile expense....some folks try to save 10 dollars by buying hardware store boxes, they dont look nearly as good....the dahua box fits perfectly, looks like its part of the cam and is solid metal construction....

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Get the dahua mount box and don't fiddle with generic boxes. I get them for all my outdoor hikvision cameras