What software do you use for backup?

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been using Macrium Reflect free for several years and really like the software but they are discontinuing support after 2023. I don't mind paying the $150 for a 4-pack for my home computers but I don't know yet whether this is a yearly thing (many companies seem to be going to a yearly subscription) or if they will then discontinue support for the paid version at some point too. What backup software do you use, free or paid?

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
^^^back when I was still doing a lot with windows, acronis true image was my go to. Would set computers up with full disk images to be stored offsite and incremental auto backup after that. Their later versions would allow for them to clone backup to even different hardware than original image. Hard drive fails or building burns down you can be back up fairly quickly and easily.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been using Macrium Reflect free for several years and really like the software but they are discontinuing support after 2023. I don't mind paying the $150 for a 4-pack for my home computers but I don't know yet whether this is a yearly thing (many companies seem to be going to a yearly subscription) or if they will then discontinue support for the paid version at some point too. What backup software do you use, free or paid?
My understanding is that the free version will still be available for use, so what will be the results of "discontinuing support"? I guess a lot may depend on an individual's use of the program, but for simple disk image backups I'm not sure what difference this will make.

I'm thinking Macrium was offering a 50% discount on black Friday, but still, there are some other backup programs out there still free but many may not meet the needs of more extensive backup needs.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
My understanding is that the free version will still be available for use, so what will be the results of "discontinuing support"? I guess a lot may depend on an individual's use of the program, but for simple disk image backups I'm not sure what difference this will make.

I'm thinking Macrium was offering a 50% discount on black Friday, but still, there are some other backup programs out there still free but many may not meet the needs of more extensive backup needs.
I saw that about the black Friday discount too. Yes, I can still use the free version, I guess the only question would be if there could be any kind of security risks after updates ends, MAYBE it will be safe.

Macrium Reflect (paid) is what I use... but it wasn't $150. I'll have to search for my receipt.

Macrium Reflect 8 Home, it was 55.96.
The $139.95 ( I said 150, I meant 140) is for 4 computers, a single is $69.95.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don’t use the cloud. Just a PC, a NAS and two SSD drives. One of the SSD drives is always in a lock box at the bank. Choreographing it all is Goodsync. Goodsync is a lot cheaper than the alternatives listed above. However, I don’t backup the OS, just data.

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've been using Acronis Cyber Protect for a couple years now. It's a good backup program that is subscription based. I also have a Synology NAS unit which has it's own backup software as well.
I went this route since Microsoft stopped supporting Windows Home Server in 2012. I like Acronis, but I do not use the cloud backup option.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I also only backup just data. My NAS is the central source and I use Robocopy to pull the content to a drive on my BI desktop and also the home desktop.

I also have random backups on USB external drives, admittedly all within the house so no off premise backups as such.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Macrium Reflect 8 Home, it was 55.96.
FWIW, I've been using Macrium Reflect 8 Free the last 3 years not for backup but to clone HDD's to SSD's, it even will reduce partition size so you can clone a 1TB to a 500GB. I've done about 5 now and all went smooth as silk.

Great product!

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
FWIW, I've been using Macrium Reflect 8 Free the last 3 years not for backup but to clone HDD's to SSD's, it even will reduce partition size so you can clone a 1TB to a 500GB. I've done about 5 now and all went smooth as silk.

Great product!
I agree, I really like it. I've been using Macrium Reflect for quite awhile, even before version 8 so I will probably continue using it as long as there are no problems that arise. It seems like some previous updates I did with Reflect were released because of something Windows updates broke, so I can just hope for the best. If you are like me you probably feel that your data, pictures, documents, etc. are too important to lose and you backup on a regular basis.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are like me you probably feel that your data, pictures, documents, etc. are too important to lose and you backup on a regular basis.
I've installed perhaps a dozen clients with SyncBack SE. It'll do backups on demand or on a schedule or perform a sync between 2 devices.
What I like about it for my clients is that it is very quick, only backing up the files that are new (of course) but also letting you know what appears now on the destination that is NOT on the source so you can decide what to do....that option can be left off also. No use confusing people that have a hard time with PC's to begin with. :idk:

Last edited:

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Using a Seagate 4 TB external USB backup drive from CostCo. The software provided does backup and retains the Windows file structure. Thus one has to drill down to find files of interest.

Wanted to partition the drive into smaller partitions. However "Windows's Disk Management" will not partition USB drives. Used MiniTool Partition Wizard 12 to create two smaller partitions on the USB drive. Worked well.

For backup, have had good luck with Karen's Software Replicator (Backup Utility). Free and one can select which files to backup plus other features.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Great product!
Yes, Macrium is great for creating a clone or image of a drive. By some of the posts here I think there is some confusion on imaging a drive, and just backing up files. Two different functions altogether.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
When I need to "Redeploy" an instance of Windows to another physical box.....I use the paid version of Macrium reflect.
Ive also tried Free Backup Software for Windows | AOMEI Backupper Standard
to see if it works. It seems to have some feature like Macrium, with free and Paid version, that allow more stuff.
But I trust macrium more at this point.

I help a restaurant/bar with keeping thier POS computers running. I've imaged all thier drives, and moved them from Xp 32 bit , to Vista Pro 32, to Win 7 32, and most recently one machine win win10Pro , a Dell Optiplex with a win 7 Pro license, didn't bat an eye about activation. that was nice.
It's all Dell optiplex machines, except thier Dad Gum server machine which is a Home built AMD rig, kept crashing. So i added another case fan. Problem solved.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Acronis is a tried and true enterprise software, and the first time I used it, I left the house and went to work,,,,,I told it to write an image to a USB drive, This was a Dell xps 400 . For whatever reason when I came home windows would not boot, and declared a missing boot drive or someshit.
and the backup was corrupted cuz it didn't finish. before whatever happened , happened.
So i got mad at Acronis.
I didn't know much back then, about fixing boot errors or what not....But I wiped the drive and reinstalled windows Xp, and lost some data......

So i gave macrium a try and it finished.....So i'm Biased.

Reaction score
I have been using the paid version of Macrium Reflect Home V8 for almost a year now. It was $55.96 plus tax last Feb. Not sure what happens when the support expires on 2/12/23. Does that mean I no longer get updates? Or does it mean I can no longer get help, which I have never done anyways.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If I remember correctly I was still getting the prompts to download hot fixes for a long time in MR 5 and 6. But their game has changed to 7 and 8 over the years. You may be right now.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Support & Maintenance
Macrium Reflect v8 Home Edition includes 12 months of free Technical Support. This will ensure that not only do you get a great backup tool for your home PCs, but you know that there is help if you need it. You also have full and permanent access to our active and helpful support forum.
Macrium Reflect v7 Workstation, Server and Server Plus for Exchange and SQL, all include 12 months free Support & Maintenance in the purchase of each license which is renewable for subsequent years. Support is provided via email and, if needed, remote access. This annual subscription includes Upgrade Protection - so Minor updates (i.e. v8.1 to v8.2) and Major updates (i.e. v7 to v8) are free. We also offer a Premium support option which includes priority response and telephone support.

If the Support & Maintenance subscription is not renewed the software will continue to function, Minor updates (i.e. v8.1 to v8.2) will remain free, and access to the Macrium Support Forum and Knowledgebase will still be available for all customers.