What tools do you bring to your installation site?

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm going to be installing 4 - 6 cameras and NVR for my workplace landlord. I would like to make this as smooth as possible so I do not want to be running back and forth between my house where my tools are and the local bigbox store picking up this or that or saying to myself "Damn, I wish I had this or that to make this that much easier!

So,my question is, what do you pros make sure you have at every job site to avoid this?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not a pro, but I've done a few installs at different places. It helps if you bring a phone or tablet that can view the cameras while you are aiming them. Assuming you have wifi available. It sucks aiming a camera when you have to go down a ladder and walk 3 rooms away to get to the NVR to see if you pointed it perfectly yet.

If you are making the network cables yourself from a spool of cable, bring a simple RJ45 continuity tester. Also bring more RJ45 connectors than you need (in case you screw up). In fact it is always nice to have extra parts. Patch cables (network cables) and whatnot. You may find you need an extension cord or a power strip for the NVR, monitor, and any switches you may be installing.

Obviously you'll want a battery powered drill, screws, screwdriver bits, drill bits, etc as necessary.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am not a pro, but I've done a few installs at different places. It helps if you bring a phone or tablet that can view the cameras while you are aiming them. Assuming you have wifi available. It sucks aiming a camera when you have to go down a ladder and walk 3 rooms away to get to the NVR to see if you pointed it perfectly yet.

If you are making the network cables yourself from a spool of cable, bring a simple RJ45 continuity tester. Also bring more RJ45 connectors than you need (in case you screw up). In fact it is always nice to have extra parts. Patch cables (network cables) and whatnot. You may find you need an extension cord or a power strip for the NVR, monitor, and any switches you may be installing.

Obviously you'll want a battery powered drill, screws, screwdriver bits, drill bits, etc as necessary.

Good points! The phone will be a must on this install for sure and I actually didn't even think about an RJ45 continuity tester, extension cords or power strips.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Good pointer from bp2008.

Stage the system before you head out, if possible. Connect cams to NVR w/ patch cables, set ip addresses, register cams on the NVR, set up remote access (if possible, since you're away from the workplace lan), set u/n & p/w, etc. You'll learn if you need a poe injector or splitter. Or junction boxes. Or patch panel.

If pulling cables through sheetrock walls (to conceal wires for appearance sake), bring a fish or borrow a magnepull.
Tool of the Day - MagnePull

Cable hangers, spade bits, sheetrock saw, voltmeter, aspirin, lol

Fastb

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Good pointer from bp2008.

Stage the system before you head out, if possible. Connect cams to NVR w/ patch cables, set ip addresses, register cams on the NVR, set up remote access (if possible, since you're away from the workplace lan), set u/n & p/w, etc. You'll learn if you need a poe injector or splitter. Or junction boxes. Or patch panel.

If pulling cables through sheetrock walls (to conceal wires for appearance sake), bring a fish or borrow a magnepull.
Tool of the Day - MagnePull

Cable hangers, spade bits, sheetrock saw, voltmeter, aspirin, lol

Fastb
More good tips! I think you are def correct on doing the NVR and camera setup before heading to the install site especially when dealing with such few cameras. Then all the time can be spent running wires and positioning equipment!

That MagPull is pretty sweet. Bet it could be great if used in the right environment.

Asprin is gonna be a must too I'm sure haha

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Fiberglass Pull Rods
Magnapull
Drill Bits from 1/8 to 2"
Mass assortment of different screws (metal, tap con, wood, all lengths and sizes)
PLENTY of cable
Toner and Cable Mapper
Ladder
100' string attached to tennis ball (open attic spaces or drop ceiling. Toss the ball 50' then attached your cable to the string and pull - way QUICKER then push rods or popping ceiling tiles every 10')
Calk (brown, almond, black, white) and clear silicon
All typical hand tools

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Torx bits to open cams (so you can aim them).
Lens cloth, glass cleaner, and wipes, to get your greasy fingerprints off optical path bits.
And if possible, a helper for feeding/pulling cable. And helper can be walking around in FOV, for checking the aim of cams. With hoodie, to check you get the best 'money shot' image, lol.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Fiberglass Pull Rods
Magnapull
Drill Bits from 1/8 to 2"
Mass assortment of different screws (metal, tap con, wood, all lengths and sizes)
PLENTY of cable
Toner and Cable Mapper
Ladder
100' string attached to tennis ball (open attic spaces or drop ceiling. Toss the ball 50' then attached your cable to the string and pull - way QUICKER then push rods or popping ceiling tiles every 10')
Calk (brown, almond, black, white) and clear silicon
All typical hand tools
Nice! more things I didn't really think about. assortment of different screws and different color Calk! I love the idea of the tennis ball :)

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Torx bits to open cams (so you can aim them).
Lens cloth, glass cleaner, and wipes, to get your greasy fingerprints off optical path bits.
And if possible, a helper for feeding/pulling cable. And helper can be walking around in FOV, for checking the aim of cams. With hoodie, to check you get the best 'money shot' image, lol.
Lens cloth and Glass cleaner! Good thinking haha a helper with a hoodie :D

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It doesn't matter I always forget something or a bit breaks. Make sure to bring extra drill and driver batteries

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
These were my tools of choice this week. I have a cart I load everything on and a 60' man lift for this job.

20170612_092320.jpg

This is a shot from up top using my laptop to aim the cam.

10.50.50.19_IPC_main_20170607113329.jpg

Last edited:

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I already went ahead and ordered some really cheap rods but if these don't work out I will def look into the Greenline. At the very least these will make for a good backup. I didn't realize how much stuff I would need so I got what I could off of harbor freight. Harbor freight stuff isn't the greatest of quality but man, you can't beat some of their pricing.

Attachments

Fruit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Bench test everything. Make sure you are able to activate everything and connect them together (even with so called 'plug and play' systems) (I assume you are doing IP), have the password/login for everything (especially since there's no default pw anymore, Dahua and Hikvision forces you to make a password) , know how to reset the passwords if your landlord and yourself forget about it...

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Amazon.com: Greenlee FP24 Wire Fish Pole, 24-Feet: Home Improvement
I starting using one of these when I got tired of climbing in attics, years ago. They make a smaller thinner one but they are less rigid. I also have several sets of the yellow harbor freight fish sticks. They are usually about 10 bucks for a set of 10 3 footers. If you forget a couple of them in a ceiling, no big deal.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use the same harbor freight yellow rods. They work and are cheap enough to replace with no worries!

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Harbor freight ones are not bad for the money but the connectors don't hold up where you screw together