what's required to power a camera bought in USA in foreign country?

westhealth

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I couldn't find answer on the forum, hope somebody could give me some answer for this.
Lets say I want to sell my security camera(purchased here in USA) to somebody in foreign country(not sure which country at this point)
for them to be able to use this camera in their country, would they need the plug changer for the power adapter as well as some type of converter to change its voltage from 120V to whatever voltage they use?
I am guessing they would just need to change the plug and no need to worry about the voltage, could anybody give me some input?
thank you

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Are the cameras not PoE? They actually require a wall wart to operate?

You are essentially right. If they need a wall wart, then they will have to purchase the correct one that can plug into their country’s AC standard.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
If the cam is POE-powered, then there's probably more options, but some wall warts can be found to comply. As an example, this POE injector takes 100-240VAC input but the male end that plugs into the AC power could have a different configuration, depends on the country. Sometimes a slip-on adapter is all that's needed.

Same consideration for a wall wart; if it will accept the AC input voltage available, you still have to see if the male plug will properly plug into the AC supply.

EDIT: an excellent source of info ==>> Country-by-country list of plugs, sockets and voltages

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

westhealth

n3wb
Reaction score
thats a good point, if its POE, I guess I wouldn't have to worry about this, but how about those regular analog cameras that use BNC cable and 12V power adapter?
I know it has to fit it for their outlet, but is there anything else I should keep in mind?
thank you

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
thats a good point, if its POE, I guess I wouldn't have to worry about this, but how about those regular analog cameras that use BNC cable and 12V power adapter?
I know it has to fit it for their outlet, but is there anything else I should keep in mind?
thank you
If its not PoE and the camera requires 12VDC, then you still have to give it 12VDC no matter where in the world you are. How you do depends on the wall wart (transformer) you use and what the AC standard for the country is. Without knowing what country you are trying to use the camera in, its impossible to be more specific than this.

westhealth

n3wb
Reaction score
Lets say i have this swann analog camera from swann USA that uses 12v adapter, somebody in UK tries to buy it to replace his camera with it,
would he need a plug adapter as well as converter?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
As @EMPIRETECANDY says, most of those wall warts support a range of voltage from 110v - 220v. You need to read the specs on the wall wart. It will be printed directly on it. You just need to use the correct wall plug since British wall outlets are different than their American counterparts. That prevents someone from plugging in a 110V only device to their higher 220v standard.