what's the best route for a powerful system that I won't have to fight?

evilblackdog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've currently got a cheap zmodo setup that I'm always fighting with it dropping cameras. I'm putting together a better system with the goal being that I don't have to babysit the thing to keep it working.

I'm interested in going the PC + Blue Iris route as it comes highly recommended here but as I said before, I just want the thing to work without the need for constant tinkering.

What would you guys do with a 2-3k budget and that goal in mind? I'm just looking for 30,000 ft view info here so I can focus my own research. Thanks All

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
HDCVI

Same cameras as the Dahua IP line for the most part, including Starlights, 2MP,4MP,8MP/4K, PTZ's etc... but with little to no IP networking gymnastics required. They just work.
http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/products_category/hdcvi-camera-388.html

The Dahua XVR series pentabrid and standard tribrid DVR's can accept both HDCVI cameras as well as IP cameras if you have a specific camera need that the CVI line can't fulfill.
http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/products_category/hdcvi-recorder-417.html

HDCVI cameras can be run on Cat5e/Cat6 just like IP cameras. No need for coax anymore.

A number of real world CVI sample clips on my YT channel
bigredfish59

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
No wireless for anything. That is most of the stability problems avoided right there.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
you dont mention how many cams you want to run? with a 2-3k budget you can build an exceptional system...

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I love Blue Iris. It solved a few problems that I ran into with a mid-level Dahua NVR, and in terms of motion detection and alerting, it had a lot more options and flexibility. If you're planning on buying a PC for BI, definitely be sure to read the "Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris" link on the page below:
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

Another vote for the Dahua Starlight cameras. They use a larger Sony sensor inside that captures more light per pixel... the image quality is pretty awesome, especially in low-light situations (like night time). Hikvision has started to sell some cameras with this Sony sensor too, but I don't think they have all of the different styles (turrets, bullets, domes, varifocals, etc) yet, like Dahua does.