What's the current recommendation for home alarm system

sam988

n3wb
Reaction score
I see a lot of older threads in this forum recommending the ring alarm system.

For purely alarm (not cam) is that still the current recommendation?

What about the commercial products like ADT, Brink, etc

Interested to hear the pros/cons

Thanks

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you can do a DIY wired system yourself that's the most bang or the bucks. Stay away from ADT, Brinks and the rest of the bunch. They're all busy trying to gobble each other up and customer service isn't very good. Ring, Simply Safe and others are fine, but keep in mind they are WiFi and a WiFi jammer, available from eBay, can defeat them. Whether the average burglar will do that is questionable, at least for now, but it can be done. Those systems will send an alert that they can't communicate with their detectors so there is still some form of protection even if you get a smarter than average burglar.

sam988

n3wb
Reaction score
The house is currently wired for some older alarm system, but I don't think it's every single point of entry

How do people find the ring monitoring service?

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I used to use Simplisafe (first generation) but it had a lot of issues. I switched to Ring alarm (second generation) and it works awesome. I don't pay for monitoring and if the alarm goes off I receive an alert on my phone. I can then check my cams inside / outside my home and call law enforcement if necessary. I have a ADT alarm sign in the front to scare the bad guys away.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The house is currently wired for some older alarm system, but I don't think it's every single point of entry

How do people find the ring monitoring service?
Ring works well and the monitoring is excellent and only $100 for the entire year. Because your house is mostly wired you are probably better off with a Honeywell vista system and use some wireless sensors for the points that are not wired. There are several threads on the Vista it will require more technical work and is not plug-and-play like the ring