What's the easiest way to play with multiple cameras?

spotco2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Some of y'all are bad influences! I'm sitting here with more cameras on my desk than I can mount just because I wanted to play with them all.

Actually I want to use a few of them in different places but am not really sure exactly where I want them. That brings up my question for some of you that like to play with cameras.

What's the easiest way to run a camera somewhere that I might or might not want to leave it? I'm having to fight the thoughts of making 150' patch cables out of a box of CAT5. Is there a better way?

I currently have a DS-2CD2232-IS bullet with a 6mm lens and DS-2CD2232-I turret with a 2.8mm lens that I want to play with.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
other than running cable, powerline and using a router as a bridge...something like those tplink mini routers...it wont be perfect but i will work for testing...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
just make some really long patch cables, you can always cut them down or use them on the permanent install.. this way you can PoE everything..

The rest is typically the results of some clever basement engineering, I screwed together a bunch of scrap wood into a makeshift portable tower I could move about and lean against the house... someone else here had a good idea about making a mounting rig attached to a ladder, that would have worked better had I not borrowed a ladder.

just make sure it dont fall over whatever you do, I dont think your camera would fare to well if your rigging collapsed.

spotco2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks folks. I'm just going to cut some long patches and play. It won't be the first time I've wasted wire before and if I do it right I'll still be able to use the wire for permanent runs. Might as well keep one long patch because I know this will not be the last cameras I will buy.