What's this?

Robalo

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 8 Hikvision cameras plus multiple computers. Recently I have a new client on my router network map and I can't figure out what it is. What's this? Is my neighbor hijackingDSC_4114-1.jpg my signal?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you give your neighbor your wifi password? Is it something stupid and easy?

Robalo

n3wb
Reaction score
Absolutely not and the guest side is locked. Is this a receiver, microphone ?

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I dont see any cable coming out of it... Why not just change the pw, and block the mac address if it becomes persistent?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It might be a phone, printer, streaming device, thermostat, light switch, toaster, etc that you forgot you added to your network.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Recently I have a new client on my router network map and I can't figure out what it is.
A few things to try to check this out:
Do a MAC address lookup and see if the manufacturer data yields anything useful. Sometimes it does, sometimes not.
Do a portscan of the IP address (I'm assuming 'new client' has an associated IP address) to see what ports if any are listening. nmap has a wealth of options for exploring an IP target. This will give plenty of clues as to what it is.
If any are HTTP ports, point your browser at them and see what you get.
And your neighbour is just having a laugh.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Is that gizmo under cover? Hard to tell from the picture but it half looks like a rain gauge with a funky home made mount. I've definitely seen rain gauges that're similar in looks.

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good god, don't you guys even know what an Israeli made Trumpatron looks like?

Lucky we have a member who trains their camera's onto their neighbors house to alert the masses that these things are out there. Nice camera by the way, don't understand why you would want to look that closely at a neighbors house though.

Fun times.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My vote is that it's a battery-powered weather thingy that uses RF to communicate back to a weather base station.