What's up with Intel HD acceleration BI 4

Tincanalley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Okay, been using BI 4 with 34 3MP Longse IP cameras. All but 6 are 20fps and VBR. The other 6 are 30fps and CBR of 5120 (the VBR wasn't ramping up fast enough when movement was happening). I managed to get my CPU usage down to 78% using all the tricks (direct to disc, low realtime frame rate in app, etc.). I am/was happy with that usage, but thought I might be able to get it lower by turning on the Intel acceleration feature. That was a huge mistake. When I did this and restarted, my usage went up to 95%.

In trying to fix it, I turned off running as a service and restarted. This didn't help, so I turned off the Intel function and restarted. This also didn't help. I then restarted it as a service again and it lowed the CPU usage, but not to the level it was before. I now hovers around 84% and frequently goes up to 95 to 100% when one or two cameras are recording or I am viewing footage.

I need to get it back, but am at a loss. The setting are identical to what they were before the change. Has anyone else run into this issue? It's a windows 7 64bit, 5820k 6 core, 16GB DDR4, SSD and WD Black running the latest version of BI 4. I don't see why it can't use the Intel acceleration, but more than that, why it won't go back when turned off.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Were you using video post processing? That can have a negative affect on systems with lots of cameras. This is explained in the release notes.

Tincanalley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Were you using video post processing? That can have a negative affect on systems with lots of cameras. This is explained in the release notes.
I turned off VPP. I read it could be worse the more cams you have, so i kept it off.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I turned off VPP. I read it could be worse the more cams you have, so i kept it off.
Ok, I see the problem. Your processor does not have integrated graphics so you cannot use HA. You must have intel HD with quicksync.

Tincanalley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, I see the problem. Your processor does not have integrated graphics so you cannot use HA. You must have intel HD with quicksync.
Well that would do it. My fault for not investigating that. I guess I figured it had what was needed since it was a high end chip.

Thanks for the info. I hope they implement another means of helping out the process for those of us not able to use HA.

Tincanalley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Now that I know why it doesn't work, I still am at a loss as to why my CPU usage is higher when turned back off. I liked the headroom I had running under 80% and rarely saw higher than 88% for short periods.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Now that I know why it doesn't work, I still am at a loss as to why my CPU usage is higher when turned back off. I liked the headroom I had running under 80% and rarely saw higher than 88% for short periods.
Did you reboot the entire system?

Tincanalley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did you reboot the entire system?
I rebooted after every change. I made 4 changes. Turned HA on, rebooted. Stopped running as a service, rebooted. Turned HA off, rebooted. Turned back on running as service, rebooted. No other changes were made.

Tincanalley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did you update Blue Iris, or did Blue Iris auto-update, to a newer version during your HA trials and tribulations?
No new updates during the process. The entire process of starting, testing and reversing changes took about 45 minutes total. I made sure to not make multiple changes at once, keep track of my changes and reverse the changes exactly.