What's your preferred way to power IR illuminators?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm thinking about deploying 4 or 5 IR illuminators around the house. I picked up THIS ONE already but haven't yet installed it. It's 18w which exceeds your typical POE switch. I believe my switch is POE+ with autosensing but I'm assuming that autosense doesn't work for passive devices like this...am I wrong? I need to get some POE splitters to test it and just ordered some.

I'm also thinking about gets some of THESE which are 8w which definitely will be able to be powered by the POE switch using POE splitters to supply the power down range.

I assume most of you prefer to use POE over Cat5e/6 then use a POE splitter to connect to the IR fixture. This versus running AC power to each IR illuminator. Curious, does anyone make a passive multi-port POE power supply (i.e. not a POE switch data/power)??? Since my POE switch is 8 port maybe it would be best to get another one to power the IR illuminators.

How many IR illuminators do you use and how did you decide to power them>

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

firefly556

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When you get those up and running. Id loe to hear how they do especially the actual throw distance. I highly suspect I will be in need of a couple very soon. I hope to start testing my camera system by friday if UPS doesnt screw up.