When are you ordering your EV?

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The whole EV thing is yet another scam. The power comes from carbon based generation and "green" energy it'll be probably close to a century away from being able to satisfy the generating requirements, especially without some magical breakthrough in technology. Throw in the fact that they need to be driven around 60-65,000 miles to recover their own production cost in carbon and throw in the carbon cost of disposing of the batteries, mining and processing the minerals needed for the batteries and then producing the batteries and it's a total scam an a half.

Yeah, I'm rushing right out to trade in my F150 EcoBoost for a new, totally electric F150 for 60-70 K. In a pigs eye. FJB can KMA.

Last edited:

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
It will be a long time until I change my F150 for an electric one, just because of the range. I have a 36 gallon tank, and I keep about 80 gallons of gas at home, so I can bring that with me if needed too

But, for my wife's car, an EV would be killer. Would never need to go to a gas station again, would leave the house fully charged every single day. And, if a hurricane rolls through and there is a run on gas, I could still drive around!

I have 17kw of solar, and while I have 1:1 net metering now, soon enough here in Texas it will be gone forever, so no more using the grid as a battery for free when it goes away. I could charge the car up literally for free from excess generation in the day. Driving around for free, I'll take that any day

On a good day I export over 60kwh, enough to easily charge a car

1654044721641.png

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
When my Dad was alive, he bought a 2000 Prius new. We sat down and calculated it out, what the inflated price was he paid for the hybrid vs what he could have bought a normal Toyota economy passenger car for. We finally calculated it out, he would break even at 100k miles for the extra cost and fuel savings. The car never made it to 100k. The inverter took a shit at 60k, he paid out of pocket to get that fixed at around $5000.00 and the batteries took a shit around 75k and it was going to cost more to have the batteries replaced than what the car was even worth. We ended up scraping it out for $500.00.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
And you can make Biden a happy man when you buy an electric car.

I love my F150 with 36 gallon tank and 3.5 eco boost. At 19mpg, I can go for ever, and like said above, I keep enough to go quite a ways.
Although, a small diesel pc/car would be nice. It's easier to store diesel, and more BTU per gallon.
Wonder about a VW or ranger pickup with a 50 gallon tank in the back?

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
And you can make Biden a happy man when you buy an electric car.

I love my F150 with 36 gallon tank and 3.5 eco boost. At 19mpg, I can go for ever, and like said above, I keep enough to go quite a ways.
Although, a small diesel pc/car would be nice. It's easier to store diesel, and more BTU per gallon.
Wonder about a VW or ranger pickup with a 50 gallon tank in the back?
Not sure. I consistently get between 34 and 36 MPG on my Audi A4. It holds 15 gallons and I have a range of Approx. 520 miles. Weird thing about this car.....It gets better fuel mileage running 90 MPH than it does running 70 MPH. At 90 MPH, the engine tach is running 1850RPM. At 70 MPH, tach is reading in the 1450-1500 RPM range. Another 15 gallons in the back would put me well over 1000 miles

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I really wonder if some of the cars disable some of the EPA junk while running higher speeds, or while in sport mode?
If my Honda Accord is warm, stick it onto sport mode and you pull out straight onto the interstate, then run 80-90, turn the sport mode off, the mileage goes up about 3-4 mpg. I did this several time while working in Wyoming.
It doesn't work on the F150:oops: aerodynamics really kill the gas mileage.

Last edited:

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Well...

VW isn't the only vehicle maker that has been fudging the emissions numbers. GM and Chrysler got caught with their hands in the cookie jar, too. But, the MSM must have been extra busy trying to get Trump impeached back in the early days.....and missed those stories....

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Picked up a Mustang Mach-E for my wife on Valentines Day ( I know, best husband ever ). It seemed perfect given that she doesn't do too much driving typically. With the purchase, I qualify for a $7500 tax credit and I also got the power company to give me a $1000 rebate for buying an EV. So far, she loves the car although it does seem like a PC with a steering wheel and tires. Many settings to learn. The best thing is the Ford Blue Cruise. I must admit it still feels totally weird to set the cruise control and let go of the steering wheel doing 65MPH on the highway. :)

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Picked up a Mustang Mach-E for my wife on Valentines Day ( I know, best husband ever ). It seemed perfect given that she doesn't do too much driving typically. With the purchase, I qualify for a $7500 tax credit and I also got the power company to give me a $1000 rebate for buying an EV. So far, she loves the car although it does seem like a PC with a steering wheel and tires. Many settings to learn. The best thing is the Ford Blue Cruise. I must admit it still feels totally weird to set the cruise control and let go of the steering wheel doing 65MPH on the highway. :)
Yeah, I bet it does feel weird going only 65 on the highway :lmao:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here in California the electrical infrastructure is to weak to handle much more. We are already getting brownouts.
Yeah, let just 50 people get home about 6PM to their residential neighborhood of 200 houses and all plug in at the same time into their 200 AMP service to charge their EVs.....goes from brownout to blackout.

Reaction score
As I’ve written before, my wife brought up the most basic of problems with charging EV’s. When a subdivision is submitted for approval the smallest, least expensive wire is in the plans - just enough to satisfy local government.

If every house in an even small subdivision has a 50 amp circuit installed and they use it to charge their EV’s I’m worried about fire much less blackouts.

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have 17kw of solar, and while I have 1:1 net metering now, soon enough here in Texas it will be gone forever, so no more using the grid as a battery for free when it goes away. I could charge the car up literally for free from excess generation in the day. Driving around for free, I'll take that any day

View attachment 129488
Nice curves!

Here in the PNW, this is more typical
IMG_3547.PNG

I wouldn't normally get solar here because it's dumb, but there were 3 subsidies. Federal, state, and the utility. Everyone's paying for my solar, because subsidizing those that are reasonably well off so they can save money is super important :rolleyes:

It doesn't make sense for ratepayers to subsidize wealthy people to have solar and utilize the grid as a battery. The whole system cost goes up with increasing solar that's on it. People feel good about being "green" though, since some generators can sit idle, not being utilized while the sun intermittently delivers whatever god decides to give us.