When do you use a junction box for mounting a POE turret camera?

Iampd

n3wb
Reaction score
I want to feed the ethernet cable through and mount a typical dome camera to a wooden horizontal surface (an overhang on a home). When is appropriate to first mount and feed the cable through a junction box, and mount the camera to that, versus simply mounting the camera directly to the surface? I don’t want to take any shortcuts, but at same time, I don’t to complicate the install if it will look better without a box. Any guideline or standard approach to this?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you don't use a junction box, you'll have to drill a larger hole in the horizontal wood surface to stuff the camera's larger waterproof Ethernet connector through.

If you use a junction box, the size of the hole that you drill only needs to be large enough to get unterminated Ethernet cable through... much skinnier. In this case, you'll stuff the camera's larger waterproof Ethernet connector in the junction box.

If you haven't already purchased your camera, consider a turret or bullet instead of a dome. Domes can issues where IR light bouncing off of something in front/on the side of the camera, reflecting back and washing out the image.

If you haven't already seen it, there's a lot of good info here:
IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes

Last edited:

Iampd

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for this response, it is very helpful. Sorry, yes, I meant to say turret, but it came out dome. I’ve also read through all the cliff notes, they’re filled with tremendous amount of great advice, so appreciate that. As for the junction box, I will be terminating the ethernet cord myself, so still on the fence whether I should use a junction box or not. Do installers typically use a junction box for cameras, or is it 50 / 50? Cosmetically, which looks better? Does it look odd or actually more professional? For those without spider issues, what about for a bullet style camera, wouldn’t that look strange to have a box between the wall and the bullet mount? I just can’t visualize it and having trouble finding examples of both when I search. Thanks in advance, and appreciate all the insight.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Around my neck of the woods, it seems likes most exterior cameras on commercial buildings using junction boxes. On residential houses, it's 50/50. I personally prefer the look of cameras mounted flush (i.e. no box), but that's just me.

I have nine exterior cameras around my house. Eight are mounted flush. The only one with a junction box is a bullet that couldn't be mounted flush due to the location.

Geomancer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's just preference.

If using a junction box, you drill a 3/8" hole for the Ethernet cable to go through. The connection to the camera happens inside the junction box.
If not using a junction box, you drill a 3/4" hole for the pigtail to go through. The connection to the camera happens inside the building structure. (You physically make the connection outside of course, but then feed it up into the house).

Without the junction box, you'll have a skinny cable in a big hole. Depending on the situation, you may want to seal off the hole, otherwise ... you just made a bit of a soffit vent on the facia :)

Reaction score
Its a personal preference. i prefer using junction boxes. I use them to lower my varifocal cameras because as you zoom them in, you have to adjust the turret up. And in order to get the correct position the varifocal camera has to be lowered a bit. So the junction box works great to lower the camera. As you can see in the second picture, even after adding a junction box to the t2232t-zs varifocal, i had to add a 1 inch piece of cedar to lower it even more. This was in order to get the zoomed in view i needed. The overview cameras i mount directly to the surface. The grey junction box hides all the wires. Good luck.
IMG_2385.jpgIMG_2761.jpg

Iampd

n3wb
Reaction score
FYI - we've had this discussion numerous times here at ipcamtalk so I have a few questions

1) is this topic not showing up in the searches?
2) Is it not covered well in the cliff notes?
The wiki doesn’t really explain when to / benefits of using a junction box. Yes, you are right, perhaps I should have searched more using site:ipcamtalk.com before posting as there are couple others asking similar question. Thanks for the reminder.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't use junction boxes. I like the cleaner flush look as well. My back porch has the same horizontal wooden surface you are speaking of. I had to use a 1" auger bit to drill through it to finally pop out the top into my empty attic space. I then fished the ethernet cable from the bottom outside, up into and through the attic, and down inside an interior wall into my network closet (e.g. my laundry room). The camera screws into the wooden overhead flush and you can't see any wire at all once its mounted.

Last edited: