when your RJ45 connector gets wet

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Impressive what can happen when your PoE connection gets wet for about a day. Looks like the third conductor down from the top is half etched away from the PoE voltage. This pic was after I cleaned it up with alcohol and a q-tip, before the area was all black. This was a casual install just as a quick test... I had protected the camera from rain and it stayed dry, but not the plug. It was working for about a day after it rained, then quit. The camera seems to boot up but it will no longer connect, even after cleaning the connector and using the separate +12V jack instead of PoE.

PoE-Wet-RJ45.JPG

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
This was a casual install just as a quick test... I had protected the camera from rain and it stayed dry, but not the plug.
So you protected the camera that prob. has an IP66 or IP67 rating but not the plug that has no rating and open electrical connections? :facepalm:

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
If the camera does not work with the 12V connection you most likely shorted the board out, normally i would have said cut that connector off and connect a keystone jack on the end of the cable but if you already connected via POE/12V and got nothing it's prob done. You could also try to hold your hand over the device to try and activate the IR if you also get nothing it's most likely toasted. What camera was this?

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Camera is 4MP Hikvision DS-2CD2542FWD-IS. Cut off the jack and had a look, just a black mess inside and pin 3 had actually corroded through.

Replaced it with new jack, and it's working again. If anyone else has this particular cable, the ordering (pins 1-8) is 1=Orange, Yellow, Green, Grey, Purple, Blue, Brown, 8=White.
Hik-RJ45-jack.jpg

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
This is not the first post showing the same thing, I'm just surprised because I've been able to get away without properly protected connectors. My first attempt was to wrap a double-female rj-45 connector in an underground box with plastic wrap. Within a couple of days the data feed failed because of condensation under the plastic wrap, but luckily, no visible damage to the connectors. Lesson from that: Bad protection is worse than none at all. I ran OK without the plastic wrap for a few weeks, then I switched to a waterproof double female connector. In another case, I ran 2 cameras totally exposed without any connector protection at all, making sure the waterproof rj45 female on the camera was hanging straight down so any water would run out of the connector. These connections were out there all winter, dumped on by at least 2 feet of snow and a bunch of rain, and never showed any problem. I'm not recommending, just sharing, and these connections are now protected.

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
May depend on local pollution levels- I'm living in a city so there's plenty of stuff in the air that probably makes the rainwater pretty conductive. Lots of pollen around, as well. My connector was horizontal, instead of straight down. And if you use a separate +12V dc connector for power, instead of the +48V PoE I'm sure it could withstand more abuse.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's so easy to prevent this. Die-electric grease in the female jack, or Silicone wrap. Even a shot of Deoxit will help.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
If I put die electric grease in the female jack, how long do I need to wait till I can plug it in?
If you use anything other than dielectric grease, you have to wait until it is complete evaporated before you plug in. Dielectric grease... no wait.

mse678

n3wb
Reaction score
Camera is 4MP Hikvision DS-2CD2542FWD-IS. Cut off the jack and had a look, just a black mess inside and pin 3 had actually corroded through.

Replaced it with new jack, and it's working again. If anyone else has this particular cable, the ordering (pins 1-8) is 1=Orange, Yellow, Green, Grey, Purple, Blue, Brown, 8=White.
View attachment 17090
I have a similar issue, with a Hikvision bullet camera, but the cable coloring is Orange, Yellow, Green, BLACK, Purple, Blue, RED, Brown. As you can tell, the difference between the one posted and mine is I have BLACK and RED instead of GREY and WHITE.

Can anyone advice me what my ordering would be for Pin 1-8? Thanks.