Where (not) to buy a Hikvision IP cam?

royduin

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new on this forum so; hi! Recently I bought a house and I'd like to have 2 camera's. One at the front and one at the back of the house. After comparing between Hikvision models I ended with the DS-2CD2142FWD-I (2.8mm). But that model is around the 130 euro's here in The Netherlands and I got tipped they're very cheap at Ebay / Aliexpress. But... after the stories about not able to update firmwares I've Googled around and came here.

This question is probably asked a 1000 times but; where should I buy two Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-I camera's? They've to ship to The Netherlands. Are they selling legit US / International models for the same price as the China versions on Aliexpress? I've looked at and read a lot of products, some claim to be upgradable and legit, but are they?

I'm looking forward to your suggestions, thanks in advance!

Roy

58chev

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCAMTALK.

@EMPIRETECANDY, member here and has an Aliexpress Store is a very reliable source to purchase cameras from. And yes, they are upgrade able.

I would not purchase from a Hik Dealer as you will pay a premium for the cameras.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new on this forum so; hi! Recently I bought a house and I'd like to have 2 camera's. One at the front and one at the back of the house. After comparing between Hikvision models I ended with the DS-2CD2142FWD-I (2.8mm). But that model is around the 130 euro's here in The Netherlands and I got tipped they're very cheap at Ebay / Aliexpress. But... after the stories about not able to update firmwares I've Googled around and came here.

This question is probably asked a 1000 times but; where should I buy two Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-I camera's? They've to ship to The Netherlands. Are they selling legit US / International models for the same price as the China versions on Aliexpress? I've looked at and read a lot of products, some claim to be upgradable and legit, but are they?

Roy
Welcome Roy,

As 58chevy notes:

A lot of us have picked up Dahua OEM starlight models from Andy @EMPIRETECANDY since Dahua bet Hikvision to market with special low light cameras.

The most popular model is the Dahua OEM 2mp starlight IPC-HDW5231xxx - in either PoE or ePoE

I recommend taking a look at that option, as well as picking up a junction box or wall mount ( PFA137, PFA130E, PFB203w )

Do check out the wiki notes, for more great info thanks to giomania and others here:
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

Also note, Domes are disliked for outdoors by many members for various reasons - including issues with internal IR light reflections within the dome in low light conditions.

Interpon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Seems like a fair price locally. I have 2.8 and 4.0 hik domes for a few years in 4 seasons and no issues at all with condensation or ir issues. Also have some bullets. I prefer the domes as i care about guessing where they are pointed. Local is good especially a warranty. I use hik software too so i stay with hik. I am sure blue iris or others may be same or better but im satisfied with the hik software 4200 and 4500

royduin

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCAMTALK.

@EMPIRETECANDY, member here and has an Aliexpress Store is a very reliable source to purchase cameras from. And yes, they are upgrade able.

I would not purchase from a Hik Dealer as you will pay a premium for the cameras.
Thank you for the suggestion, I've looked in his store but couldn't find the DS-2CD2142FWD-I (2.8mm), any other suggestions for other stores?

Welcome Roy,

As 58chevy notes:

A lot of us have picked up Dahua OEM starlight models from Andy @EMPIRETECANDY since Dahua bet Hikvision to market with special low light cameras.

The most popular model is the Dahua OEM 2mp starlight IPC-HDW5231xxx - in either PoE or ePoE

I recommend taking a look at that option, as well as picking up a junction box or wall mount ( PFA137, PFA130E, PFB203w )

Do check out the wiki notes, for more great info thanks to giomania and others here:
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

Also note, Domes are disliked for outdoors by many members for various reasons - including issues with internal IR light reflections within the dome in low light conditions.
I've looked at the Dahua camera's but I'd like the Hikvision more. Also I'd like to stay with a dome camera for the same reason as @Interpon. But thanks for pointing me at other brands!

Seems like a fair price locally. I have 2.8 and 4.0 hik domes for a few years in 4 seasons and no issues at all with condensation or ir issues. Also have some bullets. I prefer the domes as i care about guessing where they are pointed. Local is good especially a warranty. I use hik software too so i stay with hik. I am sure blue iris or others may be same or better but im satisfied with the hik software 4200 and 4500
The price is fair, but I can save €50 each when I buy on AliExpress. And most of the shops do offer warranty for 2 years I've read.

PhilChris

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Roy
My question is a little different, I bought a Hikvision camera, model DS-2CD2T85FWD-I8 8MP POE, from Visionshow on Ebay. The camera is english language and advertised as upgradeable. The firmware is v5.5.5. When I contacted Hikvision USA, I asked them if it was upgradeable and they told me it was not supported in the U.S. Does anyone know if this camera is upgradeable in Europe? Thanks, Phil

58chev

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My question is a little different, I bought a Hikvision camera, model DS-2CD2T85FWD-I8 8MP POE, from Visionshow on Ebay. The camera is english language and advertised as upgradeable. The firmware is v5.5.5. When I contacted Hikvision USA, I asked them if it was upgradeable and they told me it was not supported in the U.S. Does anyone know if this camera is upgradeable in Europe? Thanks, Phil
@PhilChris ,
Hikvision will tell you that they are "Grey Market" cameras because you did not buy direct from them.

Yes, they are upgradeable through the HIK UK site, as long as the seller has sold them as "Upgradeable"
That is the site I use for upgrading my eBay "Grey Market" cameras.

PhilChris

n3wb
Reaction score
@PhilChris ,
Hikvision will tell you that they are "Grey Market" cameras because you did not buy direct from them.

Yes, they are upgradeable through the HIK UK site, as long as the seller has sold them as "Upgradeable"
That is the site I use for upgrading my eBay "Grey Market" cameras.
58chev, Do you know the IP address of the UK site? Thanks, Phil

royduin

n3wb
Reaction score
I've just purchased two here: Originele Engels versie 4MP DS 2CD2142FWD I vervangen DS 2CD2132 I CCTV IP WDR Fixed Dome Network Camera in Originele Engels versie 4MP DS-2CD2142FWD-I vervangen DS-2CD2132-I CCTV IP WDR Fixed Dome Network Camera van Bewakingscamera's op AliExpress.com | Alibaba Groep, contacted the seller before ordering and they guarantee this one is a legit English version which can be upgraded with the original firmwares from Hikvisions website. Let's wait and find out when they arrive! To be continued...

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You’re starting like how I did... a higher-MP wide-angle Hik dome. :)

If you ever go to expand your system (and want to stay with Hik), check out their Ultra Low Light series. They use the same technology that the incredibly popular Dahua Starlight series use. The lower MP + the Sony STARVIS image sensor will give you the best low-light images around. Daytime images will still be great (sharp, but you can’t zoom into them as much as a 4MP camera), but the low-light images can’t be beat. Especially involving motion... it’s sometimes possible to get good static images at night from non-Starlight/Ultra Low Light cameras, but when something moves, it usually turns into a blur.