Where to aim camera?

drh329

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am running this camera- HFW5241E-Z12E, using OpenALPR i am having issues mostly getting plates moving away from the camera, I am thinking the camera sould be moved to look down the road a little further, blue iris shows the cars being missed with OpenALPR so i know they went by. Couple of pics attached so you can get an idea of the setup. My street doesnt get a ton of traffic so sometimes its a waiting game for cars to go bye. I did play with zoom and was thinking maybe it was zoomed in to far and didn't have time to read the plate, also reduced contrast as it seemed to be on the brighter side. Thanks again
FrontYardLPRview.jpg
LPR 2021-3-15 10.16.09.719 AM.jpgServer-BPB5572-1615814129-0.jpgServer-FZB9973-1615817991-0.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those look like some great captures. Surprised that OpenALPR missed them, but it does happen.

I think you could tilt the camera up ever so slightly to allow more of the plates moving away from you, or the person like the silver car driving more down the wrong side, to be more down the center of the frame as that is probably part of the issue. That may be enough to get them.

But putting up in the tree will certainly give you excellent shots as well. Queuing @IReallyLikePizza2 has he has done that with great results in very similar location install.

drh329

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Those look like some great captures. Surprised that OpenALPR missed them, but it does happen.

I think you could tilt the camera up ever so slightly to allow more of the plates moving away from you, or the person like the silver car driving more down the wrong side, to be more down the center of the frame as that is probably part of the issue. That may be enough to get them.

But putting up in the tree will certainly give you excellent shots as well. Queuing @IReallyLikePizza2 has he has done that with great results in very similar location install.
I am going to try and tilt it up, funny as OpenALPR will miss cars that are clear as day on Blue Iris playback but it captures this perfectly, maybe thats how it goes...LOLALPR.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What computer do you have it running on and is the CPU maxing out during motion - that could cause it as well.

What FPS are your running? Maybe drop it to 10 or 12 FPS and match iframes and see if that gets more plates as that would use up less CPU. When I was testing Plate Recognizer and OpenALPR that made a difference for one of them, but I can't remember which one now that it impacted.

Did you set up the country code to US?

I guess you could try lowering the brightness and increasing the contrast so that there is a little more contrast between the plate and the numbers (although I think yours were fine as is).

Or you could zoom it out a little to give the plate more time on the screen, but I think you are fine as is. I think it is a processing issue though as those were great plates, but sometimes they do miss too. I have a few that I am like how did it not capture it.