where to place / hide NVR?

paradigmgt

n3wb
Reaction score
I just purchased a LaView LV-KNT982D22D4 IP cam security system.

I am trying to figure out where to place the NVR in my home. I am thinking of placing it in the basement within a utility room besides my electric meters, etc. Thoughts on this?

I am also thinking of putting it in a wall within the main floor of my home and hiding it.

Any other suggestions?

bguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Where ever it's easiest to get all the wires to/from. If you're worried about security, they make NVR lock boxes. Just keep in mind it needs air for cooling. I preferred having mine in my room connected to a 32" tv, as searching was faster directly on the NVR.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I am trying to figure out where to place the NVR in my home. I am thinking of placing it in the basement within a utility room besides my electric meters, etc. Thoughts on this?

I am also thinking of putting it in a wall within the main floor of my home and hiding it.

Any other suggestions?
Hi Paradigmgt,

First and most important is the units ability to function well, thus you want to be certain that it will be protected from extreme heat, humidity, .. and so on.

For a basement installation be certain you have minimal flooding risk if you plan to place it there - as that would produce a lot of humidity issues even if the water does not reach the NVR.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are hiding it I assume you are doing so to prevent it being stolen if someone breaks in and notices you have cameras and goes for the NVR.

An idea that I was going to implement once was to buy an additional cheap NVR and plug it in somewhere obvious, possibly even with patch leads to a wall plate on the wall (that obviously didn't have any cables connected to it behind the wall). Basically a complete decoy setup somewhere reasonably find-able whilst the actual NVR, cabling, monitor etc. was somewhere well hidden. This particular customer was highly concerned about someone breaking in and taking the NVR with them.

Im not sure if this is common practice or something other installers do (this particular install never went ahead) though just an idea.
I was thinking exactly that as an option... perhaps even putting a HDMI splitter in there and sending the HDMI input from the real NVR through the el cheap-o dvr and then to an attached monitor.

nosnoop

n3wb
Reaction score
If you are hiding it I assume you are doing so to prevent it being stolen if someone breaks in and notices you have cameras and goes for the NVR.
An idea that I was going to implement once was to buy an additional cheap NVR and plug it in somewhere obvious, possibly even with patch leads to a wall plate on the wall (that obviously didn't have any cables connected to it behind the wall). Basically a complete decoy setup....
I think it is much simpler if you make sure that you select an IP cam with microSD card feature, and just put an endurance microSD in each cam as a backup.
So even if the NVR is stolen, you still a back up video in each cam.
You can check whether the LaView system has it.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Any other suggestions?
Noticed the following system on sale at Nelly's Security. Thinking it may make a decent functional decoy system for $40-60 + HDD

ION-NVR-16 16 Channel Mini NVR Network Video Recorder for Onvif 3MP IP Cameras $60 from Nelly's Security

Rockky

n3wb
Reaction score
Where ever it's easiest to get all the wires to/from. If you're worried about security, they make NVR lock boxes. Just keep in mind it needs air for cooling. I preferred having mine in my room connected to a 32" tv, as searching was faster directly on the NVR.
Do you have yours in a lock box? Hows the 32 tv, is it big enough? Thats what im thinking about getting.

bguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you have yours in a lock box? Hows the 32 tv, is it big enough? Thats what im thinking about getting.
I don't have a lock box, as I'm not that concerned about security.

As for the TV, it works for me, since it's in my bedroom. I also use it with my Roku if there's a game I want to watch. 32" was my target size, but my range was 27-42. I got it off craigslist for $60. My requirements were cheap, 1080p, HDMI, and VESA mount.