Where to purchase DS-2CD2442FWD-IW cube?

baltomare1

n3wb
Reaction score
Is the 4mp Cube camera only available overseas? The only sites I see selling it are not Hikvision approved sellers and I don't want to deal with not being able to update the firmware. Hikvision USA doesn't show it listed on their site but Hikvision Europe has it. What's the deal with this camera?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You'll have trouble getting most Hikvision approved sellers to even talk to you, I expect. I'm not sure if milkisbad has this model or similar, but you could ask him: Good source to buy IP items at

If I were you I would just buy the camera through Amazon or Newegg ($100 USD) and just not update the firmware. The main reason for firmware updates is to fix security holes, but those security holes are a non-issue if you don't let the camera have access to the internet in the first place, which is what you should be doing.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

LaurentR

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I bought mine from the link above. PoE Depot as a seller seems to be selling proper US models. I have bought a bunch of Hiks from them (and NetView) on Amazon and 100% good. WR serial numbers, no upgrade issue and on the cubes, the US wall wart, which is a good sign.

Kenm

n3wb
Reaction score
Amazon member just answered before you and said NO. My Blue Iris software does not display this little jewel. Looks good, I really don't want another camera in my box of Stupid Things I Do box. Please advise, I need some help. Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Amazon member just answered before you and said NO. My Blue Iris software does not display this little jewel. Looks good, I really don't want another camera in my box of Stupid Things I Do box. Please advise, I need some help. Thanks
Amazon member is wrong..most amazon replies are written by idiots (and that is being generous) ...This camera just like EVERY other hikvision camera supports RTSP and onvif...by definition that means its supported by blue iris...
post a copy of your video>configuration settings blue iris and in the camera..

Kenm

n3wb
Reaction score
Of into the Blue Iris we go, I getting a Hix out of this! I could not help myself, again thank you.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is the 4mp Cube camera only available overseas? The only sites I see selling it are not Hikvision approved sellers and I don't want to deal with not being able to update the firmware. Hikvision USA doesn't show it listed on their site but Hikvision Europe has it. What's the deal with this camera?
Post a link to the Amazon camera

Kenm

n3wb
Reaction score
Search amazon:
Hikvision DS-2CD2442FWD-IW 4MP 2.8mm

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Fenderman is right this camera will work with BI no problem. It's a nice little camera for the money.

Kenm

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you all. Should be fun as I have been the victim of Lorex, Logitech and others that I cannot remember. I really like Blue Iris and I hope to like the new Hikvision as well. Results to follow.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you all. Should be fun as I have been the victim of Lorex, Logitech and others that I cannot remember. I really like Blue Iris and I hope to like the new Hikvision as well. Results to follow.
Logitech ?? :facepalm: Don't they only make web cams ? Get ready for a nice improvement! :headbang:

Kenm

n3wb
Reaction score
Alert™ 700n Indoor Add-On Camera - with Night Vision = Did not endure, nothing good if it does not last.

Kenm

n3wb
Reaction score
Hikvision DS-2CD2442FWD-IW 4MP 2.8mm Received from Amazon yesterday, up and running with Blue Iris today. You Tube was very helpful as I am a hard learner. Thanks to everyone.

J Howard

n3wb
Reaction score
Hikvision DS-2CD2442FWD-IW 4MP 2.8mm Received from Amazon yesterday, up and running with Blue Iris today. You Tube was very helpful as I am a hard learner. Thanks to everyone.
Would you be able to post your BI settings, and any camera setting changes you had to make to get it up on BI? I have struggled for the last hour, and while I can stream via VLC, etc, it will not come up on BI for some reason. Thanks!

EDIT: Found another thread, BI seems not to be able to handle the full 4MP when I first add it, I started at 720 and it came up, then upped it to full 4MP. Weird. Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Would you be able to post your BI settings, and any camera setting changes you had to make to get it up on BI? I have struggled for the last hour, and while I can stream via VLC, etc, it will not come up on BI for some reason. Thanks!

EDIT: Found another thread, BI seems not to be able to handle the full 4MP when I first add it, I started at 720 and it came up, then upped it to full 4MP. Weird. Thanks
that makes no sense....blue iris pulls a new stream ever time you make a settings change...it would not matter that you had it set to 720 before..

Last edited:

J Howard

n3wb
Reaction score
that makes no sense....blue iris pulls a new stream ever time you make a settings change...it would not matter that you had it set to 720 before..
Don't know what to tell you, no setting was changed in multiple attempts outside of camera res and all I ever got were error codes and rainbow bars, then when I set the camera to 720, it showed right up. *shrug*