Where to start? NVR not detecting camera connected directly to it :(

BusyDad

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently purchased a LaView NVR (LV-N5216D6E) which came packaged with a few bullet cameras (LV-PZ804N4). The bullet cameras were picked up by the NVR immediately. I decided to buy 2 additional dome cameras (LV-PD51208C) to add to this system. I stuck with LaView branded cameras assuming they would be simple plug and play.

After plugging the cameras in, the NVR did not pick them up. I've tried different cables, ports, etc. Any ideas on where to start finding out why it wouldn't pick these up? I tried emailing LaView Support, but their advice was to do a factory reset (which I did and did not fix the issue), which makes me doubt their usefulness as all this equipment is brand new from them.

Sorry if this is a basic question, but I'm a total newbie to the ipcam area and was lucky enough to stumble onto this site through my late night Googling trying to find a solution.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome Busy,

Double check the user/password data you have entered in the NVR for those cameras.

Ideally it should be a plug and play.

iirc - some of LaView's passwords lengths have increased,

So you may need to try
user: admin
password: 12345, or 123456, or 1234567, or 12345678

iic the last one I heard is working for some newer LaView kits,...

( note, some products have a limit to the number of guesses you can try - so be cautious )

BusyDad

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply mat200.

My problem turned out to be waaay more complex than I originally thought, but I was able to get my 2 dome cameras up and running.
I'll post as many details here as possible, to help others who run into similar issues.

Firstly, I suspect the dome cameras were manufactured by a different company from the NVR and the included bullet cameras. The default IPs were nowhere in the range for the NVR.
1. The bundled cameras that connected fine were listed with their MAC addresses, not their IPs:
laview1.jpg
2. To find the connected cameras' IPs, I just hit Edit, and PING'ed them.
3. I downloaded to different versions of the SADP tool (3.0.0.2 & 2.3.2.11)
4. I connected my laptop into the NVR and ran the SADP tool.
5. Success! the 3.0.0.2 version of the SADP was able to pick up the 2 dome cameras:
laview2.jpg
6. I tried 'Activating' them by entering a password and confirming it, but it did not like the combinations I was entering. I've read in several places (on the webs and here) that defaults passwords are typically 123456, 12345678, abcdef, on similar. Odd, but based on this screen I would assume it's asking you the establish a new password because there is NO CURRENT PASSWORD. This did not seem to be the case.
laview3.jpg
7. Luckily, I stumbled upon this thread by Enabler:
You could try a1234567 and 123456789abc - I've had some that were already set to those

If try too many times you get locked out - just reboot the cam to clear it
8. For some crazy reason 'a1234567' took!
9. I changed the IPs for the two dome cameras and they finally showed up on the NVR's radar!
10. Tried adding the cameras to the subsequent channels, but kept getting a 'Network Error' #FML
11. After a bit of tinkering around, I changed the protocol from 'Laview' to 'ONVIF' and was able to get these two dome cameras up and running.

So many frustrations with these damn IP cameras, but the picture is sooo good. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who's posted something here or anywhere because you never who might find your info useful.

My next challenge - getting an Amcrest IP67 camera added as well. Was mentally exhausted today, so didn't get to start troubleshooting this one, but luckily it showed up 'automagically' when I plugged it into the NVR. Unfortunately, getting a 'Network Error' when trying to add it.
laview4.jpg

To be continued...

BusyDad

n3wb
Reaction score
Tried setting up a REOLink and Amcrest bullet IP camera, with a POE Injector Adapter, but could not find them using various search tools while plugged into the LaView NVR. I decided to isolate the REOLink and Amcrest on a traditional router and was able to find them using the manufacturers' camera search tools. Rather than going through the hassle of getting these going on the LaView system and also the possible added complexity, I decided to just stick with a couple of LaView bullets. Luckily they recently went on sale and was able to snag a good deal.

With the new LaView bullets (LV-PB3140WC), I had to go through the same process I did with the domes cameras.