Where would one typically place cameras for a standard raised ranch?

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just purchased two cams IPC-HDW5231R-Z 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens
to start out with and have an idea where would be best but without saying anything I would like to get some pro input to see if maybe I overlooked something. So, where would one typically place cameras for a standard raised ranch?

Attachments

Last edited:

DWW0311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I normally always mount them horizontally on the underside of the soffit if that is an option. It allows for wiring them through the attic and it affords some degree of protection from the weather.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Will it be best to have it in the middle of the soffit facing forward or far right in the front and far left in the back both facing across the yard?

I'm wondering if the 2.7mm lens will capture the whole yard if centered and faced forward.

DWW0311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Will it be best to have it in the middle of the soffit facing forward or far right in the front and far left in the back both facing across the yard?

I'm wondering if the 2.7mm lens will capture the whole yard if centered and faced forward.
It really depends on where your vulnerabilities are. In your case, all of the ground floor windows, the front door and the rear door are all problematic. You'll want to locate them where the field of vision allows you to capture any approach to those vulnerable openings.

Consider for the front: Between those two single windows angled slightly toward the driveway - that way you can cover any approach to the windows or the door and you also have a view of the vehicle in case someone decides to smash and grab.

For the rear: Ideally between those two windows above the basement door, facing straight out or slightly angled. The goal there would be to prevent anyone from being able to reach the camera from the deck while capturing any approaches.

That's if you choose to stick with two cams. I ended up going with 6 outside - four relatively on the corners to essentially capture a 360 field of view and 2 near the doors for added scrutiny on those approaches. Those are augmented by 2 (so far) inside on the upper floor handling internal scrutiny of the ingress points. There will be two or three more going in (1 more up, 2 more downstairs - finished daylight basement).

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you dw. I will most likely have to play around with the placements. I am looking into cameras to specifically place next to or just above each doorway also as to have a better view of people's faces.

DWW0311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you dw. I will most likely have to play around with the placements. I am looking into cameras to specifically place next to or just above each doorway also as to have a better view of people's faces.
That's workable. Just bear in mind best practices - you want to try to locate cameras where they can't physically be reached by an intruder.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Good point penguin. A lot easier than trying to figure out fov by calculating height, distance and lens size.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would cover the main doors first , then get a wide view or even 4mm for an overall view of the yard.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just purchased two cams IPC-HDW5231R-Z 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens
to start out with and have an idea where would be best but without saying anything I would like to get some pro input to see if maybe I overlooked something. So, where would one typically place cameras for a standard raised ranch?
Use this keeping PPF>100 Camera Calculator / Design Software

Then make temp mount out of a 2x4x8', 5 gallon bucket filled with rocks. Mount the cams, on top. Use to determine what works and what doesn't. Leave it in place for 24hrs or more in each location.
You want to know who did it, not just what happens. Cams mounted higher than 8ft will get good views of tops of heads, and not much else.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hmm so I got a few minutes to mess around with the back yard cam and now I'm wondering if I'd be better off mounting the cam on the opposite side of the soffit over the deck. I'd lose the ability to see the basement door, bottom floor window and the entry under the deck where there is another window but have a much clearer view of anyone at my back kitchen door and kitchen window as well as a good overall view of the whole back yard.

Attachments

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
It's not possible to cover one side of a house well with one camera. You have a 2-3 camera solution to that problem.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's not possible to cover one side of a house well with one camera. You have a 2-3 camera solution to that problem.
Right now my budget is only enough for two cameras. I will def be adding more as I have a 16 channel NVR. I am just trying to figure out the best placement for the time being. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
It sounds like you will be missing some important areas either way. The only way to tell would be to find out where they broke in after the fact and second-guess yourself. Other than that, who knows? Personally, I would probably have all of the doors in the field of view of the camera. That way, you will get the lion's share of visitors.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Picked up another cam and was contemplating placing it under the overhang above the left bottom window. Currently I have it set up in that window and it seems to be a good height and cover a good amount of area at the same time being face level. Does anyone else have a similar setup? thoughts??
new cam.jpg house.jpg

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Good height and location but you probably won't be able to use the built-in IR because of both the straight angle of the lens pointing out from the camera and also the reflection off the bit of overhang from the shingles. No biggie, built-in IR sucks anyway. Just add another illuminator beside it or close by.

cage771

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A layout like that can be problematic. Given that you have three cameras now, I'd suggest the following -

1 - get a shot of the front door with a decent sweep of the front yard. That that wish to do you harm will rarely risk a street facing break in. But they will approach the front first and foremost typically to see if you're home.

2 - above the back deck entry to cover the deck, stairs and portions of the backyard.

3 - mounted on the far side of the back of the house from the back deck entry, dial in a shot of more back yard, more approach ways, and most importantly, and exterior entry points such as the ground level man door and window.

It's hard to cover a house like yours with only 3 cameras.....with this layout you should have the basics covered. I highly recommend expanding the camera count though (I do this for a living though so I'm always a fan of more!).

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Good height and location but you probably won't be able to use the built-in IR because of both the straight angle of the lens pointing out from the camera and also the reflection off the bit of overhang from the shingles. No biggie, built-in IR sucks anyway. Just add another illuminator beside it or close by.
Thanks @Kawboy12R , I plan on having a camera on the far right under the roof soffit facing the driveway area that will have IR also.

It's hard to cover a house like yours with only 3 cameras.....with this layout you should have the basics covered. I highly recommend expanding the camera count though (I do this for a living though so I'm always a fan of more!).
@cage771, idealy how many cameras would you recommend for the outside and where? I may be able to convince myself to splurge on more cameras sooner than later.

I just got my cable and accessories in from Monoprice this morning so I am hoping to get this started this weekend!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Setup a test rig, of a 2x4, 5gal bucket, and some rocks. Temporarily place the cam, and test for 24hrs if you like the view or not.

You want to know who did it, not just what happened. Mounting cams higher than 8ft will limit the ability to identify.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I installed it under the overhang. I may make some slight adjustments this weekend so it shows a bit more of the front door step.

You really can't even see the camera even when looking for it until you are next to it. What do you guys think?

20170707_185850.jpg 20170707_185903.jpg 20170707_185927.jpg front cam.jpg