Which 4k/8mp color night vision cameras???

buzurk

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

I am looking to get three new cameras for the front of our home

I bought some cheap variants of 8MP ColurVU cameras and was impressed by how well the colour is at night (the street lights help them) but i want some better quality and want some of the smart detection which these lack
These were it- ColorVu 8MP 4K Hikvision Compatible Security IP Camera Full Color POE outdoor US | eBay

My NVR is a large synology NAS and i have enough licenses and plenty of storage available.

I am looking at
  • 8MP / 4K
  • ColorVU
  • Smart Detection abilities, AI tech etc etc
The only ones i can find that appear to be decent are
  • Hikvision DS-2CD2387G2-LU 8MP ColorVU(Most Expensive ~ $400aud ea)
  • Dahua IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV 8MP (Mid Cost, $250 aud ea)
  • Reolink 4K 8MP Ultra HD, Person/Vehicle Detection. Color Night Vision RLC-824A (Cheapest $110 aud ea)
Thank you

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you considered the 4K/X sold by @EMPIRETECANDY here. He sells to Australia as well and many members are here from Australia and can vouch for his pricing and service?

The 4K/X is the most popular 1/1.2" camera and doesn't seem to get as many complaints about quality at night as the other "full color" type cameras.

Do a search here. Many have not been impressed with the Hikvision DS-2CD2387G2-LU. Keep in mind that any camera called "full color" or "night color", etc. still require light. They are not magic and do not defy physics. Many people have come here after buying the Hikvision ColorVu series expressing their disappointment in the picture quality of the camera because they were expecting magic. If you do not have ambient light outside, you are better off with cameras that can see infrared. Further, it's onboard white LED lights are not as bright as the 4K/X. There seems to be more complaints about the Hik version at night than the 4K/X.

Stay away from the Dahua IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV 8MP. This active deterrence camera is an 8MP on a 1/2.8" sensor, so it is on a horrible MP/sensor ratio. You cannot have enough light at night for it to perform well.

Even worse, this 8MP is on the same sensor and CPU as a 2MP non TIOC camera and there are many threads here showing how under-performing that 3849 is. They had to limit bitrate and other parameters on the 3849 to try to make it functional, and it just doesn't cut it.

In my opinion the 3849 should not be sold with that current MP/sensor and CPU combination, but alas everybody wants 4k and chases MP over sensor and this camera is the epitome of that thinking.

Further, the red/blue flashing lights are more gimmicky and are certainly not a deterrent. With any ambient light you won't see the red/blue flashing unless you are looking right at the camera.

If you want active deterrence, your best bet is to go with the 2MP IPC-T5241H-AS-PV that will blink the white light. This is on the ideal MP/sensor ratio and will perform comparably to any similar 2MP fixed lens camera by Dahua. I have two of them. I have some of the other active deterrence cams as well, and would opt for the 2MP in every instance except for indoor, one could go with the IPC-HDW3449HP-AS-PV that has the red/blue lights that will bounce off the walls and be much more impressive than outside.

Lot's of threads here where people showed how bad the 8MP camera is in performing:

IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV issues
I put this guy up and for some reason, and I can put my finger on it, this picture just looks strange. The grass kind of looks like digital or something. The camera is on the default settings but I feel like I have tweaked most of them. Any suggestions? IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV is the camera.

IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV loses connection/reboots during the day
I have a IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV (8MP, Full-color night, 1/2.8” CMOS (3840 × 2160) @20 fps). I also have several IPC-HDW5831R-ZE, IPC-HDW2831T-ZS-S2 , and IPC-HDW4431C-A. The IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV disconnects and reboots during the day, I have no issues during the night. It's my only cam that has this...

Replaced HDW5442TMP-ASE by HFW3849T1P
Hello everybody! I replaced my favourite camera HDW5442TMP-ASE with new HFW3849T1P and I came accorss that HDW5442TMP-ASE has much better picture than newer one. I replaced it because HFW3849T1P 8MP instead of HDW5442TMP-ASE 5Mp and HFW3849T1P is TIOC (three in one camera). I didn't expect so...

Dahua 8mp (TIOC): Full Colour, Active Deterrence & AI
Dahua 8mp (TIOC): Full Colour, Active Deterrence & AI now for sale in UK. I wish they had the Image Sensor: 1/1.8" and a F1:0 lens as I would be all over this. SPECIFICATION Model Number: IPC-HFW3849T1P-AS-PV-280 CAMERA Image Sensor: 1/2.8" Progressive CMOS Effective Pixels : 3840 x 2160...

IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV Video Quality
Hi All, I have recently installed Dahua IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV, 2.8mm (8MP, full color, active deterrence) cameras. The overall video quality is good but I cannot read number plate for cars passing down the road (approx 11 meters away) or identify people properly. Is it the expected behavior? What...

Stay completely away from Reolink unless you do not care about getting any details and only care about what time something happened. Lot's of threads on their performance here. A lot is summarized in this thread:

So, let's take a look at this night video from a Reolink.

This person has incredible light and streetlights. Here is a freeze frame capture from that camera of a vehicle traveling maybe 10-15ish MPH under the streetlight, so about as ideal as you can get. Looking at this picture one would think it was middle of the day because their is so much light, but it was middle of the night 1am. Look at all that blur. I can tell it is a white car, but cannot tell make/model or if it is even a 2 or 4 door.

1645288648699.png

I have nowhere near the light quality this person has at night. Here is a capture from my Dahua OEM camera at middle of the night 2am with no streetlights and just the floodlights off my house at about 15ish MPH:

1645288822951.png

I can make out color, how many doors, make, model, etc.

The only way this is possible is by having a camera with the proper focal length for the distance one wants to cover, proper MP/sensor ratio, and a camera where you can manually change the parameters and the camera actually adheres to your settings.

Many cameras like Reolinks and other cheapo cams let you "set" the parameters, but the camera will override any user settings the the camera believes are in error because those cameras algorithms are written to provide a nice, bright, STATIC image over anything else. I have a cheaper camera that lets me "set" the shutter. If you set a shutter for 1/10,000 at night, the image shouldl be pitch black. But nope, the image still looks nice and bright because the cheapo camera internally says "user error on the shutter speed" and makes it what it wants it to be for a nice bright image...

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, no turret in 4K/X (yet lol).

Keep in mind you will find many on this forum that believe 4MP is more than enough, especially when it comes to night performance.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I really like this one. I have purchased some from Andy when he had them in stock. He may still have some.

DS-2CD2087G2-L(U) | Pro Series (All) | Hikvision

The key specifications.

• Image Sensor1/1.2" Progressive Scan CMOS
  • Max. Resolution3840 × 2160
  • Min. IlluminationColor: 0.0005 Lux @ (F1.0, AGC ON), 0 Lux with Light

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hikvision DS-2CD2387G2-LU 8MP ColorVU(Most Expensive ~ $400aud ea)
I've got two of these, both 4mm. One off an AliExpress store about 6mths ago, it came with the bottom of the box unsealed and had some focus issues. It wasn't from Empiretecandy. I recently adjusted the focus myself and its a lot better I just bought the second one from @EMPIRETECANDY and it's perfect.

As you've got some experience with cheap full colour cams already, I doubt you'll be disappointed. You will also have some idea about light requirements- you do need some. The human and vehicle alerts are amazing (after being annoyed for years by the wind, rain, trees, shadows etc causing false motion alerts.) It will detect even the most distant people- like three houses away on the street. Even in low light.

I'm in Australia too and would recommend sending Andy a message for prices. Delivery is quick as he uses express carriers.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
i have a client bought some dahua 2439 full Color camera and a IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED, he want to cancel the 5442 before he receive the camera, said those 2439 are junk, but i told him it has huge difference, and ask him to wait till test, lastly he found huge difference. Lol. One camera can buy 2 or 3 cheap camera has its logic, not crazy marketing trick. ;)

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hi all, Thanks for the awesome info

Are these OK value?
New Arriving Ds-2cd2347g2-lu 4 Mp Colorvu Fixed Turret Network Camera,free Dhl Shipping - Ip Camera - AliExpress

Just buy from our shop, cheaper price. Also hikvision logo.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
?

The specs say they both have the 1/1.2" sensor and the same 0.0005 lumen rating.

PS: the "depth of field" ( minimum focus distance) on the 2087 is really bad -
  • Depth of Field
    2.8 mm: 4.5 m to ∞
    4 mm: 7 m to ∞
    6 mm: 13 m to ∞
    [*]
compared to the 2387 -

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I think Andy has made a typo error in his listing

Image Sensor1/1.8" Progressive Scan CMOS