Which Balun do I need

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have these Dahua cameras

HAC-HFW2221R-Z-IRE6

And intend to purchase this NVR, which has PoE built-in, so to my understanding should be able to power the cameras over network cable, without the need of any other power source. Is that correct?

NVR4108HS-8P-4KS2/L

Previously, I purchased passive video baluns, which would enable me to transfer the HDCVI signal over network cable, but they don't allow to transmit the power over the network cable.

video balun

Can someone please point me to correct baluns I need, because as far as I can understand, an active video balun doesn't fit my purpose of transmitting video and power signal over LAN cable.

Thanks in advance

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You cannot use HDCVI cameras on an NVR that is POE, unless the NVR is a hybrid model that can accept POE and HDCVI.

The baluns are only good to use ethernet cables to span a distance, but the NVR needs to be able to process the analog video from HDCVI and a POE NVR does not have that capability.

So you either need an NVR that is for analog cameras or a hybrid if you plan to use POE cameras as well.

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for your detailed answer.

I searched for Hybrid NVR, but couldn't find one that is PoE enabled, can you maybe point me to an 8 channel one?

My cameras are HDCVI, but I have the network cables already in place, so I want to avoid replacing them with coaxial.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If all your cameras are HDCVI and you do not plan to mix HDCVI and POE cameras, then you just need those baluns with the power adapter that you would be using if you used the BNC cables with power cable attached and connect to an analog NVR.

If all your cams are 1080, then something like this would work: 1080p HDCVI Security System

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks again for your kind reply.

I have 6 identical 1080p cameras HAC-HFW2221R-Z-IRE6

Before I saw the PoE NVR, which is obviously of no use for me, I considered either the XVR5108HS-S2 or the XVR7108H-4K-I2 , where the latter one is about double the price of the former.

As I'm a noob in these things, would the 5108 be sufficient for me, and the 7108 overkill since I don't have 4K cameras anyway, or should I stick with the 7108?