Which cable?

poolecw

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry if this is not the proper board... Which cable do you recommend for an IP camera system with at least 8 cameras. Longest run would be around 200'.

toysareforboys

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Another great company to get cable from (and great customer service) is Parts Express. If you have never terminated ends, get the feed thru type to save some headaches.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry if this is not the proper board... Which cable do you recommend for an IP camera system with at least 8 cameras. Longest run would be around 200'.

Bought some Zactron 1000 Feet CAT6 UTP 23 AWG Solid Copper, CMR Riser Rated, UL Listed, Pull Box, Blue
Price: $99.99 free shipping
http://amzn.to/2Bj3sAH

The Cat6 Wiring looks to be good quality, jacked it thick. I'm pleased...

upload_2017-12-25_7-15-5.png

I am using the below color scheme for attaching the Network Cable Modular Plugs
http://amzn.to/2zt47ue

upload_2017-12-25_7-14-31.png

Using some Cable Strain Relief Boots Cable Connector Plug Cover
http://amzn.to/2BOj6VP

Using the TRENDnet Crimp, Cut, and Strip Tool, TC-CT6, works great.
http://amzn.to/2C0y9IB

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

toysareforboys

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Bought some Zactron 1000 Feet CAT6 UTP 23 AWG Solid Copper, CMR Riser Rated, UL Listed, Pull Box, Blue
Price: $99.99 free shipping
http://amzn.to/2Bj3sAH

The Cat6 Wiring looks to be good quality, jacked it thick. I'm pleased...

View attachment 24988

I am using the below color scheme for attaching the Network Cable Modular Plugs
http://amzn.to/2zt47ue

View attachment 24987

Using some Cable Strain Relief Boots Cable Connector Plug Cover
http://amzn.to/2BOj6VP

Using the TRENDnet Crimp, Cut, and Strip Tool, TC-CT6, works great.
http://amzn.to/2C0y9IB
Wow, awesome list! Not outdoor rated cable but still very nice.

How do you like those pass through RJ45 plugs? Never used ones like that before, they look nice :)

-Jamie M.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wow, awesome list! Not outdoor rated cable but still very nice.

How do you like those pass through RJ45 plugs? Never used ones like that before, they look nice :)

-Jamie M.
They work great, a lot easier to push the wiring through, and then pull the wiring up tight .... when pulling the jacket gets in all the way, never a loose wire connection...

toysareforboys

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
They work great, a lot easier to push the wiring through, and then pull the wiring up tight .... when pulling the jacket gets in all the way, never a loose wire connection...
What do you use to trim the wires coming out of the top? Does it leave them pretty flush/clean?

-Jamie M.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
DO NOT BUY cable like Zactron that is not known....Cable is one of the CHEAPEST components of a system but the most time consuming to replace and diagnose if there is an issue. Stick with known suppliers of quality cable.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What do you use to trim the wires coming out of the top? Does it leave them pretty flush/clean?

-Jamie M.
I have the Hayco soldering station which came with these... They work great... So I ordered a second pair :)

Hakko CHP-170 Micro Soft Wire Cutter, 1.5mm Stand-off, Flush Cut
http://amzn.to/2DLfr8n

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
DO NOT BUY cable like Zactron that is not known....Cable is one of the CHEAPEST components of a system but the most time consuming to replace and diagnose if there is an issue. Stick with known suppliers of quality cable.
Actually the cable looks to be a quality cable... tested out fine...

PC190179.JPG PC190178.JPG PC190180.JPG PC190181.JPG PC190182.JPG

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually the cable looks to be a quality cable... tested out fine...

View attachment 24998 View attachment 24999 View attachment 25000 View attachment 25001
you dont have enough experience or testing equipment to know anything about the able...it should be avoided...dont misguide users into buying crap that you found on amazon by accident....cable should always be purchased from known good suppliers as I stated before. I can put those stickers on any cable, they are meaningless. For 10-20 dollars more monoprice or cable matters cable is available...

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
you dont have enough experience or testing equipment to know anything about the able...it should be avoided...dont misguide users into buying crap that you found on amazon by accident....cable should always be purchased from known good suppliers as I stated before. I can put those stickers on any cable, they are meaningless. For 10-20 dollars more monoprice or cable matters cable is available...
not sure how you would know what my experience is or not in building computers, networking equipment or whatever etc... I've only been building electronics since 1979 and still have an engineer test and trouble shoot everything before it goes into usage.

My engineer "Chris" checked it out and said it was good cabling... he works on board design, trouble shooting, and implementation of medical equipment devices, day in and day out...

however, what is your preferred method of testing networking Cat6 cabling... and I will call him to see if he utilized that method. Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
not sure how you would know what my experience is or not in building computers, networking equipment or whatever etc... I've only been building electronics since 1979 and still have an engineer test and trouble shoot everything before it goes into usage.

My engineer "Chris" checked it out and said it was good cabling... he works on board design, trouble shooting, and implementation of medical equipment devices, day in and day out...

however, what is your preferred method of testing networking Cat6 cabling... and I will call him to see if he utilized that method. Thanks
I dont care what you built you and your "engineer" have no clue about cable and how to test it...
I dont have the equipment or know how to test cable fully and properly and therefor rely on trusted brands that must maintain their reputation and provide a consistent product in this batch as well as FUTURE orders...You dont know the first thing about ip cameras or cabling as your posts suggest, so please dont mislead others into purchasing no name amazon specials in an effort to save 10 dollars....as indicated poor cables can cause all sorts of problems that are difficult to diagnose and time consuming and costly to replace...Only an idiot would buy and install this crap, particularly after being warned...do as you please but dont mislead others.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I dont care what you built you and your "engineer" have no clue about cable and how to test it...
I dont have the equipment or know how to test cable fully and properly and therefor rely on trusted brands that must maintain their reputation and provide a consistent product in this batch as well as FUTURE orders...You dont know the first thing about ip cameras or cabling as your posts suggest, so please dont mislead others into purchasing no name amazon specials in an effort to save 10 dollars....as indicated poor cables can cause all sorts of problems that are difficult to diagnose and time consuming and costly to replace...Only an idiot would buy and install this crap, particularly after being warned...do as you please but dont mislead others.
never mind I know, I'm an idiot for telling someone what I purchased or for trying to help, I understand, Thanks

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use a Fluke DSX on the cables I've made using the Audtek cable I've linked to above. All cables have exceeded the requirements (except for the one where I swapped 2 wires, but lets not talk about that :) ) If you want to buy one, here is a link. I just borrow one..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
never mind I know, I'm an idiot for telling someone what I purchased or for trying to help, I understand, Thanks
exactly after you were told that you should not use that cable...this happens all the time here with ip cameras....every six months an idiot pops up with a magic brand, bunch of folks buy, then they start dying like flies...why the hell should someone buy an unknown brand to save 10 bux!!!! the entire install will be 500-2000 but yes be cheap on the CORE component of the system...that is INSANITY.