Which Cameras/Setup would go for with your home?

GaryTX87

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

New to the forum, but in sort of a dilemma. Sorry to have to say this, but I have terrible neighbors renting (the kind that love to be loud and rowdy at 1 am in the morning (already been in a heated argument recently where they made vows to do harm), so it would just be a peace of mind of I knew my home was surveillanced while I'm away to work/somewhere.

Kind of on a budget, but I've done some due diligence and figured wifi cameras are not for me. I prefer wired, and I think 4 would do for outside (would like more, but on a budget of around $200-400).

That being said, I'm looking for the best cameras I could get (preferably 1080p or higher) are these any good:

EZVIZ 4-Channel 4-Camera Security Camera DVR Surveillance System

https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-4-0-Megapixel-Weatherproof-Pre-Installed-Smartphone/dp/B079YXT7T2/ref=sr_1_6?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1525020352&sr=1-6&keywords=4mp+security+camera+system&refinements=p_89:Amcrest,p_72:1248879011

https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-Full-HD-Security-Included-AMDV10818-4B4D-B/dp/B01MXRU7ZB/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1525034273&sr=1-4&keywords=2+bullet+2+dome+camera+system

https://www.amazon.com/Loocam-4-0-Megapixel-Weatherproof-Pre-Installed-Smartphone/dp/B07426HQ88/ref=sr_1_19?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1525034568&sr=1-19&keywords=2+bullet+2+dome+camera+system+4mp&refinements=p_36:10000-45000

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

New to the forum, but in sort of a dilemma. Sorry to have to say this, but I have terrible neighbors renting (the kind that love to be loud and rowdy at 1 am in the morning (already been in a heated argument recently where they made vows to do harm), so it would just be a peace of mind of I knew my home was surveillanced while I'm away to work/somewhere.

Kind of on a budget, but I've done some due diligence and figured wifi cameras are not for me. I prefer wired, and I think 4 would do for outside (would like more, but on a budget of around $200-400).

That being said, I'm looking for the best cameras I could get (preferably 1080p or higher) are these any good:
Welcome Gary,

Do take a look at the notes which giomania has assembled.
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

If most of your issues are at night, then you will want to take a look at and at least compare your options with the Dahua OEM starlight series of 2mp cameras.

For your budget, it will be challenging. Costco just had a deal on a 4 camera Lorex NVR kit ( Dahau OEM ) for $450 - it has sold out already. The nice thing about that kit is that you should be able to add a Dahua OEM starlight camera(s) to it.

There is the option to start with just one stand alone Dahua OEM starlight camera - just get a model which has a microSD card and you can record to it.

I would recommend avoiding all of those options you listed, the quality of the more affordable kits is not as good as you might expect.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 to what @mat200 said. Welcome to the forum!

All of those outfits you linked are analog and I think it wiser to use IP cams. I commend you for reading beforehand and understanding the issues with wireless.

Also note that bullet style cams have chronic issues with spider webs. Dome cams have issues with dust. The cams that have the least issues with spider webs or dust are turret style and are highly recommended.

As mentioned by @mat200 you could start out with a couple of quality cams that allow recording to microSD card, then as budget permits, add a compatible NVR or VMS software (like Blue Iris, my fav) on a PC (that meets some min. requirements). If you go with a NVR, get one that is expandable. For example, if you want 4 cams initially, get an 8 channel NVR; if you want 8 cams initially, buy a 16 channel.

It's best to buy 1 or 2 quality cams first, then add as you can. If you buy cheap cams initially, you waste money in the long run when you discover poor low-light performance, improper focal length or field of view and find yourself discarding them.

GaryTX87

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice @TonyR and @mat200 . I really want to make sure I pick the right cameras first, but my budget is just an issue.

Maybe I can start with two cameras first, and then add more later? What kind would you recommend in my situation?

And where these the lorex cameras you mentioned:

Costco Wholesale

Reaction score
I just got my 450 dollar Costco kit in. I'll have some screen shots up shortly. The biggest concern I have about the kit is future compatability. Lorex will be little to no help for you as none of the part numbers will match up with their system.

I am worried that my 4k cameras and or NVR will be bricked in the future. I don't understand why the industry does not have standards in the format. I understand a 2k camera not working on a 4k NVR... But 4k cameras not working on 4k NVR because their a different series it manufacturer seems rediculous.

GaryTX87

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out what to do, I really, really would like to get those costco cameras for that price in about a week, but they are sold out :(

Does anyone else have any recommendations or thoughts what I should do? Thanks.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just got my 450 dollar Costco kit in. I'll have some screen shots up shortly. The biggest concern I have about the kit is future compatability. Lorex will be little to no help for you as none of the part numbers will match up with their system.

I am worried that my 4k cameras and or NVR will be bricked in the future. I don't understand why the industry does not have standards in the format. I understand a 2k camera not working on a 4k NVR... But 4k cameras not working on 4k NVR because their a different series it manufacturer seems rediculous.
HI Daniel,

Excellent! Looking forward to seeing a good review on that kit. What are the cases of the cameras made out of?

W/ regards to standards - There are standards: ONVIF
Those standards are improving and getting better w/each revision.

Every vendor who has the market power wants some sort of "lock in" or wants to advance tech significantly faster than collective committees can ever agree on.

Re: a 2k camera not working on a 4k NVR
If you have a Dahua OEM camera which Lorex rebranded - then it should work. In fact a good Dahua OEM IP PoE should work with the Dahua OEM NVRs.

I believe just like a previous Costco Lorex kit which was Dahua OEM you should be able to get the Dahua OEM starlight cameras to work with that kit.

I've been trying to figure out what to do, I really, really would like to get those costco cameras for that price in about a week, but they are sold out :(

Does anyone else have any recommendations or thoughts what I should do? Thanks.
Hi Gary,

If you are not under an immediate threat, do take some time to review the notes here.

You can also pickup one camera, I would recommend a good Dahua OEM starlight - the IPC-HDW5231xxx models preferred - a junction box ( optional, but I do like them ), a microSD card, a PoE power sourcing equipment - AC adapter is fine for now, and start with that. There's still a lot to learn and actually using a proper camera will help encourage you to really play with it and get a better understanding.

Deals are always coming and going. You really want to understand what you want before the deals hit.

There should be a lot more deals coming the BF-cyberweek time period.

GaryTX87

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Believe me, I would wait if I could, but I feel like in the next week or two, things could go south.

I really wish I could've got in on that Lorex. Seems exactly what I was looking for. As for now, I'm trying to go with at least 3 cameras for my current situation. So I would have to buy 3 starlights at ~$140?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Believe me, I would wait if I could, but I feel like in the next week or two, things could go south.

I really wish I could've got in on that Lorex. Seems exactly what I was looking for. As for now, I'm trying to go with at least 3 cameras for my current situation. So I would have to buy 3 starlights at ~$140?
Hi Gary,

Not certain which model or shipping method that is associated with the ~$140 price.

The Dahua OEM 2mp starlight models are very good for low light, and if you need night time performance they would be the preferred ones.
I picked up quite a few of them when I had a similar issue as you're having, well worth it. Far superior to other options in low light conditions.

Drop Andy a line, @EMPIRETECANDY - if he has cameras in stock he can ship very quickly.

If you're getting 3 cameras I would look for a 8 port PoE switch. Giomania has made a listing of possible switches - please see his notes for it.

GaryTX87

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey everyone, still suck at my current situation, and now my neighbors are blasting music from 9am-10pm everyday (they barely leave the house it seems). I've been taking a look at what @mat200 posted, and I think this would suit my current situation:

- Something that captures great in the day, but really good at night (4mp 2k cameras)
- 3.6 lens over 2.8 (Or maybe just 1x 2.8 to go in my backyard to see when their kids try to attack my fence again)
- Built in audio (turret type cameras, but I believe I will need a junction box and have to run poe).
- Something that is compatible with blue iris.
- For now, i think i would suffice with 3 outside, and add more as I see fit.

So what would you suggest with a budget around $200-400 for everything? I know I need a nvr system, preferably a 2tb hd (but might have to settle for 1tb for the time being), alot of cable, possibly a switch for poe, and junction boxes.

I really wanted to go with a kit, but maybe a la carting it would be a better method?

I came across these type of cameras:

Dahua Ipc-hdw4431c-a 3.6mm Poe 4mp Built in Microphone IR Dome IP Camera | eBay

But idk the take on them?

I just would like to find the best I can with my budget cause its been a utter nightmare living with people that clearly have no respect and are rowdy. I also have to pay someone to install, but I think I will also have him pre-drill/wire some other area so I can just install future cameras myself with ease.

Thanks for all the advice!

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone, still suck at my current situation, and now my neighbors are blasting music from 9am-10pm everyday (they barely leave the house it seems). I've been taking a look at what @mat200 posted, and I think this would suit my current situation:

- Something that captures great in the day, but really good at night (4mp 2k cameras)
- 3.6 lens over 2.8 (Or maybe just 1x 2.8 to go in my backyard to see when their kids try to attack my fence again)
- Built in audio (turret type cameras, but I believe I will need a junction box and have to run poe).
- Something that is compatible with blue iris.
- For now, i think i would suffice with 3 outside, and add more as I see fit.

So what would you suggest with a budget around $200-400 for everything? I know I need a nvr system, preferably a 2tb hd (but might have to settle for 1tb for the time being), alot of cable, possibly a switch for poe, and junction boxes.

I really wanted to go with a kit, but maybe a la carting it would be a better method?

I came across these type of cameras:

Dahua Ipc-hdw4431c-a 3.6mm Poe 4mp Built in Microphone IR Dome IP Camera | eBay

But idk the take on them?

I just would like to find the best I can with my budget cause its been a utter nightmare living with people that clearly have no respect and are rowdy. I also have to pay someone to install, but I think I will also have him pre-drill/wire some other area so I can just install future cameras myself with ease.

Thanks for all the advice!
HI Gary,

If you want really good at night you will want a Dahua OEM 2mp starlight model.

Your budget is very tight, and you will need some significant compromises to remain within that budget.
If you want to reduce the costs, I would highly recommend considering a DIY install if you are able.

Those are Chinese models of the Dahua OEM cameras, so you'll want to double check if you really want to go that route.
( again more info in notes )

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

GaryTX87

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looks like I'm going to have to try to diy as much as I can. Is there any particular starlight model I should look towards, cause I see alot of starlight models. What about these models:

US Stock Dahua H2.65 IPC-HDBW4433R-ZS Starlight IP Camera 2.7mm ~13.5mm Vari focal Motorized Lens 4MP IR 50M with Mirco SD Card Slot POE Network Dome Ip Camera WDR Vandalproof Replace IPC-HDBW4431R-ZS - Newegg.com

https://www.amazon.com/Dahua-IPC-HDBW4433R-ZS-HDBW4431R-ZS-Motorized-Surveillance/dp/B078GHML37

Thanks for the advice, still feel clueless haha, just trying to find the right model and soon cause its getting out of hand in my neighborhood.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like I'm going to have to try to diy as much as I can. Is there any particular starlight model I should look towards, cause I see alot of starlight models. What about these models:

US Stock Dahua H2.65 IPC-HDBW4433R-ZS Starlight IP Camera 2.7mm ~13.5mm Vari focal Motorized Lens 4MP IR 50M with Mirco SD Card Slot POE Network Dome Ip Camera WDR Vandalproof Replace IPC-HDBW4431R-ZS - Newegg.com

https://www.amazon.com/Dahua-IPC-HDBW4433R-ZS-HDBW4431R-ZS-Motorized-Surveillance/dp/B078GHML37

Thanks for the advice, still feel clueless haha, just trying to find the right model and soon cause its getting out of hand in my neighborhood.
Hi Gary,

Skip Amazon, Skip ebay, Skip newegg, .. those are all taking you too much time and effort searching for possible solutions from often questionable vendors who may not be fully honest in describing their offerings.

For example that "4mp starlight IP camera" at newegg.. IS NOT a STARLIGHT camera. Yes, you got that right - you're being straight up lied to by that vendor on newegg.

Do take the time to read the notes giomania has assembled, they are your shortcut to your journey which we've all gone through.
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

You may also go through my notes, more randomly organized based on when I saw something interesting here:
Looking for some advice and direction!

GaryTX87

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Learned a plethora of information, thanks. Seems like most cameras are out of my budget though. $124 was around the cheapest starlight I could find. Really not trying to cheap out, but just right now, I dont have a big budget for a system like that. I wish I had posted earlier for that costco deal.

What would you suggest I do in this scenario?

Thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Learned a plethora of information, thanks. Seems like most cameras are out of my budget though. $124 was around the cheapest starlight I could find. Really not trying to cheap out, but just right now, I dont have a big budget for a system like that. I wish I had posted earlier for that costco deal.

What would you suggest I do in this scenario?

Thanks
HI Gary,

Please see previous note on that

You can also pickup one camera, I would recommend a good Dahua OEM starlight - the IPC-HDW5231xxx models preferred - a junction box ( optional, but I do like them ), a microSD card, a PoE power sourcing equipment - AC adapter is fine for now, and start with that. There's still a lot to learn and actually using a proper camera will help encourage you to really play with it and get a better understanding.

Deals are always coming and going. You really want to understand what you want before the deals hit.

There should be a lot more deals coming the BF-cyberweek time period.

GaryTX87

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
HI Gary,

Please note:

Hi Gary,

Skip Amazon, Skip ebay, Skip newegg, .. those are all taking you too much time and effort searching for possible solutions from often questionable vendors who may not be fully honest in describing their offerings.
Also please do take a closer look at the notes, we've all gone through the journey you've currently going through and have shared what we've been learning in the notes.

Also, there are a number of good discussions here on various models of cameras as well as numerous discussions on the Chinese market cameras which you're currently looking at due to their low prices. Remember cameras designed for the Chinese market have a number of issues which make them less attractive to many of us here.

GaryTX87

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi @mat200 reading through the notes and the ones you post of your findings, and I think my situation is getting worse. The neighbors are blasting music from sunrise to around 10 now everyday by the backyard of my home, and my family is stressing me out because they feel something is going to happen, so they are making ultimatums I find the right cameras or they are going to go to sams club in a day or two and get either the swanns that have audio or night owl kits for around $300. They keep telling me "something is better than nothing".

Not really sure what to do right now with a budget of $375, impatient family, trying to get 3-4 cameras.

What would you do in these constraints?

Thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @mat200 reading through the notes and the ones you post of your findings, and I think my situation is getting worse. The neighbors are blasting music from sunrise to around 10 now everyday by the backyard of my home, and my family is stressing me out because they feel something is going to happen, so they are making ultimatums I find the right cameras or they are going to go to sams club in a day or two and get either the swanns that have audio or night owl kits for around $300. They keep telling me "something is better than nothing".

Not really sure what to do right now with a budget of $375, impatient family, trying to get 3-4 cameras.

What would you do in these constraints?

Thanks
Hi Gary,

Cameras do not stop the music.

Also buying poor quality cameras is not the answer.

Think of it this way.

1) You need a reliable car, you're on a tight budget so must buy a cheaper automobile ( used in this case ).
2) Wife tells you to just buy any automobile right away with the $1500 you have... don't bother to bring it to a mechanic and check it out.

Once you spend the $1500 you're not going to have a chance to buy another used automobile, any one... HOWEVER what type of automobile do you need? Wife says doesn't matter just get one... well, what if it turns out you need a truck? or a gas sipping commuter car? .....so you really want to keep looking until you find something good that works AND figure out what type of automobile you need.

You're in that situation. We have plenty of notes to help you determine what you need. Take the time to determine what is the most important.

also

SO your problem is music? -> then you'll need to call the police when it gets bad.

Sam club - I have not liked the offerings from Sam's Club for security cameras. They do a very bad job of posting the specs and details on their website.

The bottom line is that quality low light cameras run about $100+ each. If day time is your primary concern then many of the cameras in the kits do ok.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
No offense, but isnt calling the local PD and having them address the noise/disturbing the peace an option? If there is a real concern of violence or confrontation then maybe spend that $375 on say a Mossberg 590? Cameras would be the 3rd or 4th thing on my list....Cameras arent gonna stop most crimes from happening.

If I was really concerned about harm to myself or a family member, Id find a way to up the overall defense budget. Credit cards? I only mention because it never ceases to amaze me how much money people will toss down the toilet on stuff like TV's, cars, travel, (insert your favorite hobby) but when it comes to security they seem to have a hard time finding the resources.

Last edited: