Which dahua cam for recessed ceiling mount?

Discussion in 'Dahua' started by MakeItRain, Jun 10, 2019.

Share This Page

1. MakeItRain

MakeItRain Getting the hang of it

Got this idea and approved by wife. We want to install a professional-looking recessed ceiling mount cam (or maybe a turret) but a recessed ceiling mount might look better. We want to install it in the corner of our living room/ceiling for that "professional" look. No wires.

I will cut the drywall and fish the poe ethernet there. Here is the bracket that will be used.

Am I safe to assume that the only one to use would be dome type with a plastic half-circle surround? I guess this is the only time dome is okay to use since it will be in doors?

This is going to be a fun project because I have all the pictures/videos of where all the electrical wiring is in the new house. So basically, I will be giving up 1-of-2 ethernet ports in the kitchen. Cut it, crimp a new connector from it and then install the camera there. Leave the old wire in place in-case I ever want to reverse it. Then patch up ceiling drywall. Pictures attached.

1.jpg
    IMG_2972.JPG

Kitchen before construction:
    2.jpg

2. looney2ns

looney2ns IPCT Contributor

That kit will only work with certain cams, you need to check with the Accessories selector here: Dahua Technology - Leading Video Surveillance Solution Provider with CCTV Produc

3. jrf

jrf Getting the hang of it

I use one of these:
    In the corners inside my house and am very happy with it...along with WAF approved.

VorlonFrog and crw030 like this.
  4. crw030

crw030 Known around here

Check out Dahua catalog provided by @EMPIRETECANDY here: Dahua IP Catalog 201902 Q1 to grab some candidates, you didn't really talk about your goals for this camera (since it's pretty high and in your kitchen).

Maybe something like: 2MP HD Recessed Mount Dome Camera IPC-HDB4231G-AS would work if you don't need IR to see in darkness (the cabinets might be too close for IR at that proposed location?)

I agree with @jrf about how ideal the mini domes are for WAF, very low profile and descrete, plus most the negatives regarding domes won't apply indoors. Maybe even something like: IPC-HDBW8232E-ZE would also pass the WAF ?

Not specific to this installation but for a long hallway, something like an DH-IPC-HDBW4231FN-E2-M would be a good fit and only requires a single cable for POE and TWO feeds, I just wish there were more lens options.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  5. MakeItRain

I do need to have IR because the kitchen goes pitch black at night. I want to be able to catch ghosts :)

6. jrf

The mini wedge has IR....and sound

7. MakeItRain

Just to be sure, the dome cameras (mini or full size) do not suffer from IR reflection when indoors. Is that a true statement?

8. jrf

That is more location dependent. That being said mine indoors in a corner surrounded by 3 white walls is a non issue. Of course the paint is flat which helps.

9. crw030

crw030 Known around here

Location dependent (like @jrf said), but also you can run the IR lower power indoors (you don't need to see 60 feet).

I only mention IR reflection because you would want to test it in the dark to make sure before permanently cutting holes or mounting things, because a couple inches in a different direction might make a huge difference from things like reflective surfaces you don't realize are in the frame, IR reflection from a nearby surface (wall, plant whatever) etc.