Which Dell Optiplex to get.

10bad10

n3wb
Reaction score
So I finally pulled the trigger on my cameras and bought 6 Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I. The max cameras I will ever run in BI would be around 10. At this point I am looking to get a computer to run BI and think that a Dell Optiplex with an i7 is a good solution. What is the lowest generation I could use? I see a lot of different ones on eBay such as the 9010, 7010, 9020, 9040. I guess a better question might be the minimum specs my PC could have (i7, RAM).

My other question is about storage. I have a QNAP server with 12TB of WD Red space. Can I have the BI machine store to there or will I have to stick a WD purple drive in the BI machine?

Thanks for the help and sorry for the lack of knowledge!

-Dave

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you intend to run 10 4mp cameras, get the latest generation skylake i7-6700....or at least haswell, but they are priced close...
You can write to the nas, but I would recommend writing to a local drive then having BI move older files to the nas when the drive is full...

10bad10

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer fenderman. I've been looking at this on eBay. Does it seem like a good deal. Is there any problem with it being the i7-6700T?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer fenderman. I've been looking at this on eBay. Does it seem like a good deal. Is there any problem with it being the i7-6700T?
I would not get the T processor, that said, there is something wrong with that auction, I dont believe dell sells the T in the tower form factor, its only on the micro pcs (no room for 3.5 drive)....the picture is of a mini tower..its listed as a "micro tower" which doesnt exist....i believe the auction is for a micro form factor which I would not use...

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

10bad10

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks you solidified my concerns about that auction and I'll avoid the T processors.

shepscrook

n3wb
Reaction score
Or get a Xeon E5-2670 which are dirt cheap, the boards are a little pricier, but you're looking at around the same price if not cheaper for more horsepower.

You could be looking at an 8 core with HT, and a motherboard for $260-300 range which does 12,000+ on passmark

The Intel i7-6700 while being a beast, would be a 4 core with HT + a motherboard for around $380-460 and gets you around 9,000+ on passmark.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Or get a Xeon E5-2670 which are dirt cheap, the boards are a little pricier, but you're looking at around the same price if not cheaper for more horsepower.

You could be looking at an 8 core with HT, and a motherboard for $260-300 range which does 12,000+ on passmark

The Intel i7-6700 while being a beast, would be a 4 core with HT + a motherboard for around $380-460 and gets you around 9,000+ on passmark.
poor choice...the Xeon E5-2670 does not support hardware acceleration so the i7-6700 will outperform it. The Xeon is also more power hungry (and you will need to add video consuming more power) than the skylake and and old 2012 processor. A complete system with full warranty with the i7-6700 can be had for 400-500 dollars.

shepscrook

n3wb
Reaction score
poor choice...the Xeon E5-2670 does not support hardware acceleration so the i7-6700 will outperform it. The Xeon is also more power hungry (and you will need to add video consuming more power) than the skylake and and old 2012 processor. A complete system with full warranty with the i7-6700 can be had for 400-500 dollars.
Well, it's not entirely a poor choice, you could run a VM and add a video card and it would still be a good setup. It would use very slightly more power though. The hardware acceleration did skip my mind though.

But you really wouldn't have to. If it was dedicated to a couple of tasks NAS/VM/BlueIris and some other things, there's still more than enough power for quite a while.

Right now, with my server (NASBOX) running OpenMediaVault. I've got downloads, shares, a couple VMs, currently 2 cameras running and my overall CPU utilization is around 6-8% with an average at around 1.91%. I'm running an E5-2680v1. I'm planning on adding another maybe 4 cameras eventually. Still working out locations.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it's not entirely a poor choice, you could run a VM and add a video card and it would still be a good setup. It would use very slightly more power though. The hardware acceleration did skip my mind though.

But you really wouldn't have to. If it was dedicated to a couple of tasks NAS/VM/BlueIris and some other things, there's still more than enough power for quite a while.

Right now, with my server (NASBOX) running OpenMediaVault. I've got downloads, shares, a couple VMs, currently 2 cameras running and my overall CPU utilization is around 6-8% with an average at around 1.91%. I'm running an E5-2680v1. I'm planning on adding another maybe 4 cameras eventually. Still working out locations.
vm is a bad idea for blue iris or any vms...regardless, you cannot use hardware acceleration in BI when running a vm OR when using discrete graphics, you NEED intel hd with quicksync. Video cards are power hogs. Two cameras is a meaningless term, what resolution? what frame rate? have you actually measured your power consumption? You will likely find that it will be cheaper to buy a modern efficient system.

shepscrook

n3wb
Reaction score
vm is a bad idea for blue iris or any vms...regardless, you cannot use hardware acceleration in BI when running a vm OR when using discrete graphics, you NEED intel hd with quicksync. Video cards are power hogs. Two cameras is a meaningless term, what resolution? what frame rate? have you actually measured your power consumption? You will likely find that it will be cheaper to buy a modern efficient system.
Why is a VM a bad idea for Blue Iris?

2 cameras, 1080p, 30fps.

I haven't measured my actual power draw (Meter arrives on Sunday). Sure, the VM cannot use the graphics, but at this time, my system is not struggling at all with the load.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Why is a VM a bad idea for Blue Iris?

2 cameras, 1080p, 30fps.

I haven't measured my actual power draw (Meter arrives on Sunday). Sure, the VM cannot use the graphics, but at this time, my system is not struggling at all with the load.
A vms should be run on a standalone clean machine for 100 percent stability.