Which Form Factor for 2xHDD + 1xSSD?

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm considering upgrading my BI machine to something with a 6th or newer generation i5 in an Optiplex, Elitedesk or Prodesk machine.

The problem I'm having is figuring which of the Dell or HP models can take both my WD Purples (8TB & 4TB) and an SSD for Windows. Both machines with bays for the drives and at least 3 SATA connectors.

Any suggestions for a suitable machine?

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm considering upgrading my BI machine to something with a 6th or newer generation i5 in an Optiplex, Elitedesk or Prodesk machine.

The problem I'm having is figuring which of the Dell or HP models can take both my WD Purples (8TB & 4TB) and an SSD for Windows. Both machines with bays for the drives and at least 3 SATA connectors.

Any suggestions for a suitable machine?
I think that some of the small form factor desktops like the Elitedesk only have 1- 2.5” and 1 - 3.5” bay

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Most Dells unless you get a mini tower only have space for 1 3.5” drive. I’ve got a HP 600 G2 which does have the sata ports and space for 2 full size drives and an SSD.

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just to come back. I got a HP 600 G2 and it does accommodate 2 x HDD and an SSD

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The HP ProDesk 600 G2 is working for me. i5-6500 and CPU seems to be around 50%-60%. I'm running 8 x 2MP and 1 x 6MP cameras.

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Folks, it may be a better idea to build a system from components.

Is anyone aware of M.2 flash drives?

The interface is much faster than SATA, they're somewhat cheaper and also they don't take up much space at all.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Folks, it may be a better idea to build a system from components.

Is anyone aware of M.2 flash drives?

The interface is much faster than SATA, they're somewhat cheaper and also they don't take up much space at all.
Its much more expensive to build - a fools errand. You can put 2 x3.5 drives and 1 2.5 in an HP elitedesk SFF. You would pay almost double to build one yourself unless you steal windows.

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't see the point unless you are building a high performance system. SATA vs M2 won't make much of a difference to a dedicated BI5 box. It not like you need the speed for gaming tbh.

My ProDesk 600 G2 cost €160 off a local sales website. I added a 240GB SSD for around €30 plus the WD Purples from my old shared machine.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't see the point unless you are building a high performance system. SATA vs M2 won't make much of a difference to a dedicated BI5 box. It not like you need the speed for gaming tbh.

My ProDesk 600 G2 cost €160 off a local sales website. I added a 240GB SSD for around €30 plus the WD Purples from my old shared machine.
Gotta agree with this, my 600 G2 was something like £105, I already had a 2.5” 250Gb SATA SSD, got 2 2Tb hard drives for £30 and some extra RAM for something like £10 and job done.

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
fenderman, understandable for some but isn't Blue Iris better when used with Nvidia GFX cards due to hardware acceleration.

And Linux may be a better option, after all it's free, faster and less vulnerable than Windows.

I've noticed a few CCTV clients a for Linux as well that look interesting, NX Witness and Xeoma. May well look into them in the future and see what they're like, but it seems that they cover most if not all of the features of Blue Iris.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
fenderman, understandable for some but isn't Blue Iris better when used with Nvidia GFX cards due to hardware acceleration.

And Linux may be a better option, after all it's free, faster and less vulnerable than Windows.

I've noticed a few CCTV clients a for Linux as well that look interesting, NX Witness and Xeoma. May well look into them in the future and see what they're like, but it seems that they cover most if not all of the features of Blue Iris.
Most importantly the OP is specifically asking about a blue iris machine.
no it’s not better with nvidia. Nvida is a power hog.
Linux is not a better option as blue iris does not run on Linux. Windows is a great os. I have over 20 blue iris machines. Crazy stable.
Nx is ok but 70 per camera. And lacks many blue iris features and has many that blue iris does not. It’s geared towards business.

Xeoma is Russian garbage that pays its users to write positive reviews.

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was noticing that NX was the better looking option, you can usually get a feel for things just looking at the website.

Plus it also has a toolbox and dev community, so there's probably a lot more things that it can do. But you probably need to know how to add features if you require them and remove what you don't.

And you wouldn't need much of an Nvidia GFX card for hardware acceleration, a low end one or that one you have maybe laying around somewhere will do.