Which HDD to choose for Hikvision NVR?

Infinity7

n3wb
Reaction score
I plan to have up to 16 Hikvision 4pm cameras in my country house and plan to buy for them Hikvision NVR DS-7616NI-E2/8P or DS-7616NI-K2/16P.

Which HDDs would you recommend for this?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I plan to have up to 16 Hikvision 4pm cameras in my country house and plan to buy for them Hikvision NVR DS-7616NI-E2/8P or DS-7616NI-K2/16P.
For that number of cameras, at the likely bitrate, you will find that model will not be performing well.
It might be best to have a load margin by deploying the 32 channel model.

C0m4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
WD purple, although WD red isn't bad at all.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

Infinity7

n3wb
Reaction score
For that number of cameras, at the likely bitrate, you will find that model will not be performing well.
It might be best to have a load margin by deploying the 32 channel model.
Are you saying that Hikvision NVR's designed for 16 cameras will not actually handle 16 cameras well? If yes what's the max number of cameras it could handle?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you saying that Hikvision NVR's designed for 16 cameras will not actually handle 16 cameras well?
I'm saying that if at the outset you operate the NVR at it's maximum capacity you will see the performance at its limit and have limited margins for the future.
It will depend though on how high you run the 4MP cameras in terms of resolution and bitrate.
If I was planning on installing 16 cameras I'd give myself some margin by using a 32 channel NVR.
Depending on your retention requirements the option for more than 2 HDDs may also be a consideration.

bguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The NVR may be able to record up to 12MP streams, but can it record 8 12MP cameras at 30 FPS at the highest quality? I doubt it.
This data sheet: Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.
Says it can do 4 channels @ 8MP, or 16 channels @ 1080P. That is Hikvision's capacity listing for the DS-7616NI-I2/8P
It's rated at 160Mbps, so I'm guessing it's capacity is rated at 30 fps.

You have the MP of the camera, but the bit rate will depend on the quality setting and FPS. To make it easy, 1080p at 30 FPS, high quality is about 10Mbps. So, 10x16=160Mbps. To use the system with 16 4MP cameras you would have to lower the bit rate or the FPS in half, or both by 25%. But you would still be at the rated capacity of the NVR.

So, if you are planning a new system, and going to have the NVR already at max capacity, you might consider one with more overhead.

Oh, and WD purple, the largest you can fit, which looks like 6TB x 2.

Last edited: