Which hub to get to expand from there?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I am thinking of starting home automation but I would like to be able to expand from it.

I been reading up and there so many hubs to get but it look like they are compatible which different brand devices? How do I know it following a standard? I know X10 was popular back in days but it look like it been replaced with something called Z Wave?

I am wanting to be able to combine DIY alarm, fire alarm, doorbell and operate some lamps around the house because We are a Deaf family but still expandable to door lock or furnace control etc.

Any suggestion what hub brand to go with?

Thank you for your inputs!

Bill

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If I'm correct, Z-Wave is the new automation platform.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
If I'm correct, Z-Wave is the new automation platform.

Yes from what I been reading Z-Wave is the current home automation platform but there are several different hubs brand to choose from so I am asking inputs from who already tried or using one at home and what brand they are using etc. Sort like a personal reviews on their system to get an idea what require and how to expand from there.

Bill

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
VeraLite is the most popular z-wave controller I have found. I have one myself and it works well.

Git

Banned
Reaction score
Decision Time!

Since your on this forum, I am going to assume you have or you are interested in IP cameras... If so - do you/are you planning to use a Network Video Recorder or use some sort of PC based software?

I made the decision years ago to have a 'home server' that runs 24/7. I started out mainly to make daily backups of my computers and to store/share files (WHS 2003). I later added media and use PLEX to stream to our TV's and other devices. When I became interested in Z Wave, since I had the home server went with PC Based software. And finally, now that I have several IP Cameras, by server runs Blue Iris to control them. So the 'home server' solution has worked extremely well for me

So, you can go with some sort of stand alone controller or look into running something on a computer. Smarthome has a number of different products - its a good place to see what is available

http://www.smarthome.com/controllers-apps/software-apps.html

randyh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I started out years ago using Hal2000 Home Automation software running X10 equipment. I have since then, gradually migrated to Insteon equipment. Insteon has worked really well for me. The current HUB that Smarthome is selling is only about 40 dollars and the free IOS and Win8 apps work quite well with it (both via local network and when out about in the WAN world). I run Blue Iris for my cameras and have not currently married Camera and Insteon stuff. So on my Ipod I have to pull up two different apps to access both. I am working on a hack to convince Insteon Hub that my cameras are Insteon cameras but have not made a lot of progress yet. But Insteon on its own is working really well.