Which IP Cam is Open and Secure?

AdamQ

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking for an IP cam which is secure and open source.

Here is a report of insecure cameras:

These are some online projects to change the original firmware of some IP cams

I'm really interested just in the hardware part.
If there is a reliable DIY project I will go for it as I need to implement IP cameras in other devices.

Can you suggest a good model to use?

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Its not so much about the hardware, its about your implementation of that hardware. A top of the line Dahua can get hacked if not set up properly.

Have a read here:

AdamQ

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't care if reolink is shit or not or how many security hacks I can implement to hardening a system.
The link is just to point to the point of the question: no camera is secure but the one you can have under control.

What I'm asking is about open firmware, lens, and drivers.
I don't wanna wait for a vendor to update its firmware, and I don't need a closed IP camera.

I'm reading hundreds of pages and posts, that's why I'm asking.

I'd like to build one by my own having spare parts (lens, driver, firmware, etc).
But I can also use a branded one if it's possible to have full control of the product.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't care if reolink is shit or not or how many security hacks I can implement to hardening a system.
The link is just to point to the point of the question: no camera is secure but the one you can have under control.

What I'm asking is about open firmware, lens, and drivers.
I don't wanna wait for a vendor to update its firmware, and I don't need a closed IP camera.

I'm reading hundreds of pages and posts, that's why I'm asking.

I'd like to build one by my own having spare parts (lens, driver, firmware, etc).
But I can also use a branded one if it's possible to have full control of the product.
You are Obviously new here we know about the security issues and how easy it is to simply secure the camera. Go build your own camera If you can’t figure out how to secure a simple network device like a camera

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are NO open source cameras. Camera security is done by correctly configuring your network, isolating your cameras from the internet.

I lived in Naples Italy, 1958 to 1962. I lived at 176 via Posillipo. That was a long long time ago... :)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Probably the closest thing you will find to an open source IP camera is a raspberry pi with a camera module. But the low light performance will be frankly appalling, with a final price tag that is just as high as a proper IP camera, and a lot of hours of your own work to put in.