Which NVRs and software can dewarp fisheyes?

Javik

n3wb
Reaction score
(Continuation of my question regarding only Blue Iris... )

Which NVRs and competitor software to Blue Iris are capable of fisheye dewarping and PTZ simulation?

Some fisheye camers can do multiple streams and internal dewarping, while the more basic fisheyes can't dewarp at all and you have to do it at the receiving / playback side.

Dewarping seems important, but if possible I'd like to save some bucks by getting cheaper fisheyes without internal dewarp and have the NVR / software do that directly itself.

This also avoids needing to record multiple streams of the same camera, if the NVR / software can generate the different views directly itself.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You will end up paying more for the licensing of the software. Exacq is supposed to be able to dewarp. Milestone has plugins available for specific cameras.

Javik

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmm, very interesting.

Exacq, only recording one stream, able to dewarp to multiple views at the same time, and save those views for later access.

Milestone - go to 4:30

Also I stumbled across:

Geovision dewarping

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Those are great programs, but the problem is you are paying 50-150 per camera licensing (depending on the features you need), negating any savings..if that is your primary goal.

Javik

n3wb
Reaction score
Unfortunately it seems a "wash" because the cameras that can do internal dewarping are likely going to cost $50-150 if not more to have that ability internally, vs a basic camera that can't do it internally.

Apparently the least expensive yet highest resolution fisheye I can find is the ACTi E16 10MP @ 7fps indoor box camera at around $390, followed by the ACTI E15 5MP @ 15fps indoor box camera at about $310.

Trying to find multi-output, self-dewarping, high megapixel fisheyes really jumps up the cost per camera above that.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately it seems a "wash" because the cameras that can do internal dewarping are likely going to cost $50-150 if not more to have that ability internally, vs a basic camera that can't do it internally.
Its only a wash if all or most of your cameras are fisheye.

Javik

n3wb
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, fisheyes are incredible compared to standard box/dome cameras. In the past I've had to use multiple box/dome cameras to try to cover a complex hallway space in a school building, trying to clearly cover lockers on both sides plus up and down the middle, preventing blind spots, etc etc. Stairwells with a generic box camera are a total pain to deal with.

With this new technology I will be able to tear out those multiple cameras, and install a single fisheye in their place that covers far more than was possible with all those cameras.

Seems like going all fisheyes may be the One True Path going forward.

I might try putting up a few high megapixel outdoor fisheyes to cover the school parking lots too, and then we don't have to mess with PTZ scanners anymore.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Stay away from anything Acti.
You will always get better images with separate cameras. Though fisheye is a cleaner look and easier to install. The alternative to fisheye is not a box camera. You can use a dome or turret.