Which one would u get?

Armin773

n3wb
Reaction score
Quick question would this be a good camera to set up for Reading plates at night. SD49225T-HN or would you go with one of these IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E

I been reading thru threads here but can’t seem to find a answer.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The plan was to put it up and let it record. And if I have to go back and look at the footage I wana be Abel to see the plate number, Incase of teft or something.
If you don't need the PT functionality you can stick with the more affordable and smaller camera. Double check that you actually need such a powerful zoom model. ( after watching your capture of the potential thief ... )

Armin773

n3wb
Reaction score
If you don't need the PT functionality you can stick with the more affordable and smaller camera. Double check that you actually need such a powerful zoom model. ( after watching your capture of the potential thief ... )
Haha yeah that guy is something stupid looked right into the camera.
Do you think the camera I have there would be capable of lpr it’s a Lorex 4K bullet with 4x zoom I can’t remember the model number right now.
And what do you think about that angle where the Lorex 1 is right now?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Haha yeah that guy is something stupid looked right into the camera.
Do you think the camera I have there would be capable of lpr it’s a Lorex 4K bullet with 4x zoom I can’t remember the model number right now.
And what do you think about that angle where the Lorex 1 is right now?
Hi @Armin773

The 8MP 1/2.5" Dahua OEM camera in that lorex kit is related to the Dahua OEM IPC-HDW58xx models. So while not the best in low light conditions, you can get it to function for license plate captures to some degree ( most here prefer low light models ). See the LPR section and try to tune it and see what sort of results you get. Remember daytime capture and night time captures are 2 different beasts. I would probably keep that 8MP camera setup for good day time captures and add some low light models for night time captures to augment your setup. ( I see you have 8 available channels of the 16 from the NVR based on the kit you shared.. so I would look to add 2+ low light models to the front of your house for optimizing low light image capture, and keep the original cameras setup also.. )

Armin773

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @Armin773

The 8MP 1/2.5" Dahua OEM camera in that lorex kit is related to the Dahua OEM IPC-HDW58xx models. So while not the best in low light conditions, you can get it to function for license plate captures to some degree ( most here prefer low light models ). See the LPR section and try to tune it and see what sort of results you get. Remember daytime capture and night time captures are 2 different beasts. I would probably keep that 8MP camera setup for good day time captures and add some low light models for night time captures to augment your setup. ( I see you have 8 available channels of the 16 from the NVR based on the kit you shared.. so I would look to add 2+ low light models to the front of your house for optimizing low light image capture, and keep the original cameras setup also.. )
Hey thanks for the reply’s Mat.
What do you think about that angle for a lpr towards that stop sign. And if money was not an issue would the dahua SD49225T-HN 2MP 25x be good for low light lpr.
Sorry am not really familiar with low light models.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the reply’s Mat.
What do you think about that angle for a lpr towards that stop sign. And if money was not an issue would the dahua SD49225T-HN 2MP 25x be good for low light lpr.
Sorry am not really familiar with low light models.
Hi @Armin773

There's a lot of nice cameras if money is less of an issue.

Take some time and see what the other members are sharing for their license plate captures. Don't just jump into buying something until you've at least checked to see how other members like it. ( folks here are fairly good about giving their reviews so I have a lot of trust in them ).

Try the varifocal turret camera you have and play around with it's settings first. Once you get a feel of it, you'll understand better the issues.

Reaction score
I use this camera for LPR license plate reading for right now.

I will be getting this camera to be my permanent LPR camera.
Review - Dahua IPC-HFW7442H-Z 4MP Ultra AI Varifocal Bullet Camera

Remember to check out the Wiki and cliff notes as well a lot of information there. Good luck.