Which system?

Bigred78

n3wb
Reaction score
I setting up a small security system in a small building. These are both roughly the same price. I know the lorex is 4k.
Which would be a better buy.
Thanks.

Lorex 16-channel 4K NVR with 3 TB HDD and 6 4MP Bullet Cameras and 3 4MP Dome Cameras
Costco Wholesale

Check this out at Amazon.ca
Hikvision USA I7608N2TA Hikvision Kit, 8 Ch Nvr with Poe, 2 Tb Storage, Six 2Mp Outdoor Dome W 2.8Mm Lens, H.264+ https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N5R23SO/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_bQskCbE0642XP

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I setting up a small security system in a small building. These are both roughly the same price. I know the lorex is 4k.
Thanks.

Lorex 16-channel 4K NVR with 3 TB HDD and 6 4MP Bullet Cameras and 3 4MP Dome Cameras
Costco Wholesale

Hikvision USA I7608N2TA Hikvision Kit, 8 Ch Nvr with Poe, 2 Tb Storage, Six 2Mp Outdoor Dome W 2.8Mm Lens, H.264+ https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N5R23SO/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_bQskCbE0642XP

Hi @Bigred78

The lorex kit in the link - I am not certain of the OEM, so not certain of how easily it is to add other cameras to it.

Also note the cameras are 4MP not "4K"

farnk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks.

Costco Wholesale

Are they going to be outdoor, indoor, both?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You, as most, *may* want easy answers. Resist these presumed needs. Study the Wiki. Buy a system which will meet 100% of your needs...needs which won't ever be uncovered if you purchase a Costco kit. I, as most, would recommend 2MP Dahua Starlight turret IP cameras.

Last edited:

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks.

Costco Wholesale

For both systems offered, the storage seems very low - if you go away for a week with the 4 mp camera's and something happens on the first day it'll likely have been overwritten by the time you get back

Just a thought

Reaction score
You, as most, *may* want easy answers. Resist this presumed need. Study the Wiki. Buy a system which will meet 100% of your needs...needs which won't ever be uncovered if you purchase a Costco kit. I, as most, would recommend 2MP Dahua Starlight turret IP cameras.
Out of all the cameras out there why is it that you tell him to buy this one? Just curious

Reaction score
Because a number of forum members have that camera (or a variation with similar sensor) and know it to produce good quality images during the day, but more importantly very decent night images even with very little light. You will struggle to do the same with standard 4MP cameras in this price range.

Q is giving you an easy solution, low cost, that will produce a good result in all light conditions. This way if you come back tomorrow and you have bought something off Amazon or from Costco (do you guys have those?) then he tried to point you in the right direction, while allowing you to make whatever decision you choose.

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Personally I'll be going down the Hikvison route, following advice from several members that they are the easiest to set up & most likely to be auto-detected & auto-configured by Blue Irs

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Personally I'll be going down the Hikvison route, following advice from several members that they are the easiest to set up & most likely to be auto-detected & auto-configured by Blue Irs
I would argue that this statement is simply not true. I have owned a dozen Hikvision cameras and they are no easier -- but no harder -- to configure in Blue Iris than Dahua cameras: log into each camera's Web UI, change the camera's static IP address, configure the camera in Blue Iris. It sounds like @BigFoot may not have used both cameras side-by-side yet.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would argue that this statement is simply not true. I have owned a dozen Hikvision cameras and they are no easier -- but no harder -- to configure in Blue Iris than Dahua cameras: log into each camera's Web UI, change the camera's static IP address, configure the camera in Blue Iris. It sounds like @BigFoot may not have used both cameras side-by-side yet.
Agree as I have also owned and configured both. There is an advantage in sticking with the same manufacturer IF you use an NVR, but BI doesn't care.

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Correct Q - I have only tried 2 camera's so far (QVIS brand )

But from questions asked & private conversations, the balance of answers suggest that Hikvision may be easier from those with experience - of which I have non

I'm happy to be corrected, but having had a price from Andy for the Dahua cams, I can get Hikvision here cheaper, without messing around with import

Last edited:

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm happy to be corrected, but having had a price from Andy for the Dahua cams, I can get Hikvision here cheaper, without messing around with import
Have to take exception to the "messing around with import" comment. Could not be easier with Andy. Last purchase I made with him I sent a Paypal payment and 3 days later the DHL guy was delivering my 1831. Don't like that method? He has an Amazon store.

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have to take exception to the "messing around with import" comment. Could not be easier with Andy. Last purchase I made with him I sent a Paypal payment and 3 days later the DHL guy was delivering my 1831. Don't like that method? He has an Amazon store.
Ni ill intention intended Nolo, but I'm in the UK. I import from the US, Canada & the Far East only when I have no alternative

It's a ball ache - it's a 30 mile, 2 hour round trip with horrendous parking to pay my import duty & tax on everything (at 20%, our VAT rate), before I even see my package

Not sure what its like wherever you are on the planet, but here , its a pain in the ass

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It would be wise for you to investigate the firmware which is installed on those Hikvision cameras.
Thank you Q - already way ahead of you there pal

Will only be dealing with verified UK Wholesalers / Distributors, and verified personally via the Hikvision servers

I have no intention of falling for 'grey imports' and a written guarantee of English firmware will be a prerequisite to purchase

But thank you for your concern - it is really appreciated

Bigred78

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow thanks for all the replies. I have been reading and the lorex doesn't really do it for me. Alot of dead cameras and issues. I was about to order the hikvision and found a store nearby, kinda nearby. He suggested this kit he had in stock.
He said better then both I mentioned above.

Dahua N484E62 IP Security Camera Kit with 6 Cameras
https://www.aartech.ca/dahua-n484e62-ip-security-camera-kit

Is he just trying to sell me his stuff?
I would installing 4 of the cameras outdoors under eves and 2 in the hallway inside.

Thanks again for all the replies.
2tb I think would be fine, I wouldn't need anything longer then a week. Can I put a bigger hd in this one later if I decided?

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
BigRed - Although I have no camera's yet, from everything I have read I think you'd still be better going with your own PC-based Blue Iris system

But hey, it's your money & you've got to live with whatever you buy

Bigred78

n3wb
Reaction score
It's in a stand alone building. I would then have go buy a computer.