Who has the edge these days? Dahua or Hikvision??

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
looking at setting up a new system at a mates house, 4 cameras, turrets, and 8 channel NVR, what is the best system these days to go with? hikvision or dahua?

mr_guns

n3wb
Reaction score
Either one. Everyone has there own brand they like. It's like asking which oil to use, you will get all kinds of answers. For my needs the Dahua Starlight series was a perfect fit and I've been very happy with my choice. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
how about firmware wise? are both hikvision and dahua have the chinese versions as well as english and you have to hack the chines version to english?

mr_guns

n3wb
Reaction score
Bought mine from Andy on this site and he had the latest firmware already installed. They already had English version. If an update is available you can get it from this site. Even if an update comes out I don't plan on doing it unless I see it includes something I need. If it ain't broke why (try to) fix it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
It's probably hard for anybody to give a sweeping answer because different people use their system in different ways and have different priorities and expectations. I can supply one narrow opinion. For a small system (16 cameras max), 4MP, no PTZ, recording 24x7 with event triggers, and maximum of about $200 per camera, I've used both Dahua and Hickvision-based systems. My conclusion is that Dahua is far ahead in what I care about: Image quality, ease of use, and inconvenience/impact of bugs. They're both full of bugs and have lame user documentation, Dahua being less lame in that regard.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
looking at setting up a new system at a mates house, 4 cameras, turrets, and 8 channel NVR, what is the best system these days to go with? hikvision or dahua?
I would try to avoid the Chinese market versions of both Hikvision and Dahua cameras unless you are willing to do extra work. Both make all sorts of models - and deciding which exact ones to get can be a bit of work.

I picked up a Dahua system from Andy, and a number of starlight cameras and they work every well in low light. I am thinking about adding a 4k camera or 2 based on various reviews here to get a more detailed day time image for the front of the house.

If you are in the US this maybe a useful starting point
FYI - Some local Costco B&M have a Lorex / Dahua OEM 4K 6x camera kit and 8 port NVR for $800