Who no love for AMD CPU's?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
It sounds like Intel has been "scamming" Intel fanboys for quite sometime now. (Not necessarily scamming )

When it comes to Blue Iris, are there any significant cons when it comes to using BI in an AMD environment?

hotbrass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It appears that BI is designed around the Intel platform. I have run on AMD a few times and it works great. I just happend to retire my i7 6700k as my daily driver so I repurposed it to run BI. My current daily driver and three other computers in my house are current generation AMD.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
What about Intel's past history of security flaws? Even though they were patched, what if something else is discovered down the line?

There are a bunch of threats that discuss why Intel is favored and for good reason.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Lack of Quick Sync...

But if you don't care about that then AMD is a damn good performer. I bought a 1600 AF CPU (6C/12T) for $105 from Amazon a couple weeks ago when I built a new Proxmox host. The value is unbelievable from AMD right now.

hotbrass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
AMD has VCE, but like Quick Sync the developer has to code for it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What about Intel's past history of security flaws? Even though they were patched, what if something else is discovered down the line?
did you actually look at the security vulnerabilities and see how they need to be exploited? It’s a non-issue. There is exactly the same probability that AMD will have a security flaw in the future as well. But if you want to spend more money on an inefficient processor that’s your business.
There are a glutton practically new business machines available with modern Intel processors for less than it is possible to build your own system unless you steal the operating the system and several other components

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Intel systems are better than ever for Blue Iris. Just a few months ago BI fixed H.265 decoding using Quick Sync. And the addition of sub stream support means you can now run a LOT more than used to be possible on old quad core Intel machines which are readily available at low prices on ebay, and will continue to be for the foreseeable future because of Intel's long-time dominance in the desktop PC market.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Ah @bp2008, that settles then, Intel it is. I just got annoyed by Linus blabbering about AMD beating up the competition with its Ryzen 3 and Threadripper series. I think that's targeted to the gamer's market though

Intel systems are better than ever for Blue Iris. Just a few months ago BI fixed H.265 decoding using Quick Sync. And the addition of sub stream support means you can now run a LOT more than used to be possible on old quad core Intel machines which are readily available at low prices on ebay, and will continue to be for the foreseeable future because of Intel's long-time dominance in the desktop PC market.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
New AMD hardware is good. For a "new parts" Blue Iris build, it would be a toss-up whether it is better to go with Intel and have Quick Sync, or to go with AMD and have more cores. But very few Blue Iris users actually need that much performance. So the best general advice is still to buy a $100-200 used Intel system. You can't touch that kind of performance with AMD on a $100-200 budget.

therealdeal74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Quicksync is the last crutch Intel has against AMD for BI but I don't think for long. The Ryzen APUs should be able to do hardware acceleration as well but BI needs to add the support. AMD is better performance per watt, 7nm vs 14nm and when Ryzen 4000 desktops come out the disparity with power vs performance is only going to get worse for Intel. It's when you want to buy one of those inexpensive business class machines where you'll see an initial cost savings.

I'm currently in the process of replacing my HP Prodesk I5-6500 with a Ryzen 3600XT. Here's a good high level article to read about why AMD > Intel.

therealdeal74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So tonight I finished my system upgrade. Went from a HP Prodesk 400 G3 with Intel I5-6500 CPU (not a T series) with an Nvidia 710 card to an AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT with Gigabyte B550 DS3H motherboard. Transferred the drives and the 16GB memory over. I purchased an Nvidia 1650 video card for HW acceleration. I noticed previous tests were using Nvidia 1030 cards for HW acceleration but according to this chart the 1030 doesn't shouldn't be used because it's not supported. The 1650 is the most power efficient card for this application because it doesn't require a separate power connector and is meant to be efficient. I had purchased the Prodesk because it was 6th generation Intel which had h.265 acceleration with Quicksync but it was choking on my 5 camera system with just 5 cameras, 2 cameras that had H.265 encoding. CPU was typically around 25-30% with Quicksync. I know it was choking because Teamviewer would show a black screen, even on KVM it was unresponsive and web interface was hit or miss. This Deskpro system was an "upgrade" from my Dell XPS 4790k because the HD4600 graphics doesn't do HEVC properly.

New system without the NVDEC acceleration, CPU was hovering at 10%. NVDEC it's averaging 5%, I'm seeing it dip to 2-3% quite often. This is for 307 MP/s.

Lessons learned: Even with just 5 cameras and Quicksync you can really push a 6th gen Intel processor. Don't expect a lot from Quicksync with the different generations. NVDEC is legit. AMD system costs around $200-300 more than an eBay desktop but well worth it. If AMD VCE support is added could be a platform changer.

1595238532509.png

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there an advantage using a dedicated GPU? Doesn't that mean higher wattage?

So tonight I finished my system upgrade. Went from a HP Prodesk 400 G3 with Intel I5-6500 CPU (not a T series) with an Nvidia 710 card to an AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT with Gigabyte B550 DS3H motherboard. Transferred the drives and the 16GB memory over. I purchased an Nvidia 1650 video card for HW acceleration. I noticed previous tests were using Nvidia 1030 cards for HW acceleration but according to this chart the 1030 doesn't shouldn't be used because it's not supported. The 1650 is the most power efficient card for this application because it doesn't require a separate power connector and is meant to be efficient. I had purchased the Prodesk because it was 6th generation Intel which had h.265 acceleration with Quicksync but it was choking on my 5 camera system with just 5 cameras, 2 cameras that had H.265 encoding. CPU was typically around 25-30% with Quicksync. I know it was choking because Teamviewer would show a black screen, even on KVM it was unresponsive and web interface was hit or miss. This Deskpro system was an "upgrade" from my Dell XPS 4790k because the HD4600 graphics doesn't do HEVC properly.

New system without the NVDEC acceleration, CPU was hovering at 10%. NVDEC it's averaging 5%, I'm seeing it dip to 2-3% quite often. This is for 307 MP/s.

Lessons learned: Even with just 5 cameras and Quicksync you can really push a 6th gen Intel processor. Don't expect a lot from Quicksync with the different generations. NVDEC is legit. AMD system costs around $200-300 more than an eBay desktop but well worth it. If AMD VCE support is added could be a platform changer.

View attachment 66719

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there an advantage using a dedicated GPU? Doesn't that mean higher wattage?
It does mean higher power consumption. I wouldn't use Nvidia hardware acceleration unless CPU usage was too high without it. Or if the CPU was otherwise struggling to decode a stream quickly enough. For example hardware acceleration can improve clip playback at 4K resolution when the playback is sped up.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

View attachment 66719
No question you improperly setup your intel system. 307 is nothing for the 6500. You wasted your money and now will be paying an increased power bill in perpetuity. Your are also comparing an intel processor that can be purchased as a complete Pc and os for under 200 bux to a processor that costs 250 Alone.
The number of cameras is irrelevant. I have 10 cameras systems on weaker processors.

CJ133

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I keep seeing these comments and it I'm a little confused by it.
"New AMD hardware is good" or "AMD is good now, not like they used to be".

I used, and overclocked tons of AMD processors 10-20 years ago and they did just fine. I also used plenty of Intel. I loved buying a bottom of the line AMD processor and making it perform like the top of the line model.
I chose either based on what gave me the biggest bang for the buck for what it was being used for. I never had any issues with quality from either. I had motherboards fail though..........and I even had an Intel I3 Coffee Lake bad right out of the box tho a few years back. Kept blue screening. First and only time I ever had a bad processor in almost 27 years.

If Blue Iris can take advantage of things an Intel chip can do that AMD cannot, I'd go the Intel route. I'm setting up a cheesy Lenovo I5 4570 for Blue Iris.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I keep seeing these comments and it I'm a little confused by it.
"New AMD hardware is good" or "AMD is good now, not like they used to be".

I used, and overclocked tons of AMD processors 10-20 years ago and they did just fine. I also used plenty of Intel. I loved buying a bottom of the line AMD processor and making it perform like the top of the line model.
I chose either based on what gave me the biggest bang for the buck for what it was being used for. I never had any issues with quality from either. I had motherboards fail though..........and I even had an Intel I3 Coffee Lake bad right out of the box tho a few years back. Kept blue screening. First and only time I ever had a bad processor in almost 27 years.

If Blue Iris can take advantage of things an Intel chip can do that AMD cannot, I'd go the Intel route. I'm setting up a cheesy Lenovo I5 4570 for Blue Iris.
Before Ryzen AMD had nothing unless you went all the way back to Phenom/Phenom II. Bulldozer was a joke. Intel owned the desktop CPU segment from the end of Phenom II to the first Ryzen chips.

Its not a stretch to say that AMD was pretty poor in terms of performance to price for those 10+ years when AMD was wandering through the valley.

If you are strictly setting up a PC for just BI, then its a no brainer to use an Intel CPU. But I can't bring myself to build out an entire server for a single purpose in 2020. Virtualization is simply too good. That is where AMD is truly beating the pants off Intel in the price to performance/cores catagory.