Why can't I find this camera?

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I got into building a surveillance system for my house a little while ago. No specific reason, just always wanted one. We've recently had a rash of car breakins in the area, so I want to upgrade the camera I have covering the driveway. Due to the placement the only option is PoE. I have a pretty beefy injector(75 watts), but for the life of me I can't find a camera that has all the features I need. I want a motion sensor floodlight, ptz, and onvif compatible. Why does no such camera seem to exist in PoE?

Thanks!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I got into building a surveillance system for my house a little while ago. No specific reason, just always wanted one. We've recently had a rash of car breakins in the area, so I want to upgrade the camera I have covering the driveway. Due to the placement the only option is PoE. I have a pretty beefy injector(75 watts), but for the life of me I can't find a camera that has all the features I need. I want a motion sensor floodlight, ptz, and onvif compatible. Why does no such camera seem to exist in PoE?

Thanks!
Welcome @hunterjwizzard

One camera typically is not enough to cover the driveway ... plan for more cameras to get the coverage you want, and separate lighting ...

Reaction score
No, but its plenty to cover the 1 expensive car in the driveway ;)

Its mainly the motion sensor-activated floodlight I'm after, here. Our house was built back in the 50s and then "creatively" re-wired by someone who didn't know what they were doing. Aside from the porch light there's no power anywhere on the front of the house(including one whole wall of the garage). So short of several thousand dollars in electrical work, PoE(P.ower O.ver E.thernet) is the answer.

2 of my existing cameras have motion sensor LED lights built in. They've been great. But these ones need wall wars to run. I need one that works on PoE and has the floodlight.

Reaction score
Not at the moment. I certainly would like to eventually put more cameras and proper lights out there, I'm just limited at the moment to what can be done with the existing cabling. As an immediate stop-gap, I want to get a camera up there with a floodlight.

Reaction score
I went with this camera:

Its amazon so I can send it back if it fails to work with my NVR. It was a bit more than I had wanted to spend but for a quick and dirty solution this will do. The rest of my cameras are 1080p and i watch them on an old computer monitor. But the NVR holds a couple days of recordings and that's good enough.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I went with this camera:

Its amazon so I can send it back if it fails to work with my NVR. It was a bit more than I had wanted to spend but for a quick and dirty solution this will do. The rest of my cameras are 1080p and i watch them on an old computer monitor. But the NVR holds a couple days of recordings and that's good enough.
FYI - in general members have not been impressed with this brand...

1614221297382.png

Reaction score
Only one I could find that had ptz + floodlight AND was POE. I do not have an outlet where I need to install this thing. Nor do I have an outlet nearby to add a floodlight. I'm open to suggestions but I need something more along the lines of "This camera has all the features you want" and less "lets step back and re-evaluate your entire layout and also rewire your entire house" :p

Reaction score
Just a suggestion, but you may want to wait for @looney2ns to review a model in this series. It's brand new, has PTZ, IR, built-in white light along with AI and SMD. Made by Dahua and if all goes OK in the review, available via @EMPIRETECANDY. Here is a spec sheet of a model I'm interested in, too.

Link on Dahua International, to all cameras in the series:

Attachments

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Just a suggestion, but you may want to wait for @looney2ns to review a model in this series. It's brand new, has PTZ, IR, built-in white light along with AI and SMD. Made by Dahua and if all goes OK in the review, available via @EMPIRETECANDY. Here is a spec sheet of a model I'm interested in, too.

There has a PTZ one, but we already get one for looney to test, it's a PT version, mainly to test its some key function, we are the 1st one to release this new one on IPCT.
Next month, we will get another new model to play. ;)

1614263054507.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I went with this camera:

That does not have visible light LEDs. Those are infrared. Most cameras with built-in motion detector floodlights are gimmicky and not good cameras.

If you want a motion activated floodlight, it is best to get one without a camera. If you aren't comfortable doing high voltage wiring, you can get motion activated LED floodlights that operate on 12 or 24 volt DC power which is a whole lot safer. 24 volt DC is less voltage than even PoE.

As an example:
There are many options to choose from. Those are just some I picked with quick Amazon searches. That would be everything you need to DIY something, besides tools like a drill and screwdriver, or clips to mount the wire on the wall or studs.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Yes I have one here, been waiting for the winter weather to stop it's wrath. It finally has so I hope to get a review of this in the next couple of days. I have the 4mp version.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I know what you mean, looney. I've had two cameras sitting on the window sill "burning in" since the beginning of the month. I'm itching to get them installed so I can complete the front yard coverage. The snow is melting here pretty quickly, so maybe next week they'll actually get installed.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Only one I could find that had ptz + floodlight AND was POE. I do not have an outlet where I need to install this thing. Nor do I have an outlet nearby to add a floodlight. I'm open to suggestions but I need something more along the lines of "This camera has all the features you want" and less "lets step back and re-evaluate your entire layout and also rewire your entire house" :p
HI @hunterjwizzard

So far your requirements you listed are:
I want a motion sensor floodlight, ptz, and onvif compatible. Why does no such camera seem to exist in PoE?

• Motion sensor ( PIR? )
  • Floodlight
  • PTZ
  • ONVIF
  • POE
and judging by the cameras you pick.. something at < $200

Noting that the PTZ you picked has IR Leds not white lights,.. it does not meet your "Floodlight" requirement... so...

Honestly, there's not a lot of models that meet those requirements, so you will have to re-evaluate something.. not our fault that our recommendations do not meet your expectations.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I’d like to add one possible solution for more lighting is using solar powered fixtures. Whether it be flood light, strip, to panel configuration.

This solves any wiring related issues along with flexible mounting choices where needed. Lastly, this negates any possible surge / lightning damage while reducing long term energy consumption.

These solar light fixtures span every price, size, light output.

Reaction score
Here's a suggestion... If you were able to run an ethernet line for your POE camera, then you can certainly run an electrical line for a floodlight.
I'm able to run an ethernet line because I've worked in IT for 20 odd years and know exactly what I'm doing. I won't bore you with the specifics but between my lack of knowledge and the terrible wiring in the house, it would be a very bad idea to DIY it.

Honestly, there's not a lot of models that meet those requirements, so you will have to re-evaluate something.. not our fault that our recommendations do not meet your expectations.
I understand this. Honestly my original question was why such a camera doesn't exist. I have 2 floodlight cameras already that run on 12 volts, so I know these things don't take a ton of juice. It just seemed odd to me that I was having so much trouble finding one. I was thinking there might be some commonly known reason, apparently its that such cameras suck :p

Thanks!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I understand this. Honestly my original question was why such a camera doesn't exist. I have 2 floodlight cameras already that run on 12 volts, so I know these things don't take a ton of juice. It just seemed odd to me that I was having so much trouble finding one. I was thinking there might be some commonly known reason, apparently its that such cameras suck :p

Thanks!
Questions:

How much power does PoE provide? How much power does PoE+ provide?

How much power does a standard IP PoE camera consume with IR leds?

How much power does LED floodlights consume?

How much power does a PTZ consume?

How much power when you add all of that up?

How much power over CCA wired cables, which many have used instead of solid copper 23-24 AWG?

Now imagine the support headaches by the camera vendor when the home user installs such a camera with CCA wired cables?