Why did the HDW-5231R-Z reach end of life?

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I just checked that on Dahua's international website, the notorious eyeball HDW-5231R-Z everyone raves about is discontinued or has reached end of life.

The replacement seems to be HDW-5231R-ZE or may have to get the sister HDW-2231R-ZS.

Anyone know which is the proper replacement?

My sister is asking me to help her install cameras but she has terrible front yard lighting. Her home faces a school yard across the street so 8MP HFW-1831E could be a problem.

Baldcamman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am new to the Dahua camera's but have to say I am very impressed by the HDW-5231R-ZE. The day and night shots are nice and clean.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 2231 doesn't have a built in microphone and only has 1 substream instead of two. The ZE is the closest replacement.
My opinion is they wanted to promote ePoE which the ZE supports and some of the changes they made could have reduced manufacturing costs.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I just checked that on Dahua's international website, the notorious eyeball HDW-5231R-Z everyone raves about is discontinued or has reached end of life.

The replacement seems to be HDW-5231R-ZE or may have to get the sister HDW-2231R-ZS.

Anyone know which is the proper replacement?

My sister is asking me to help her install cameras but she has terrible front yard lighting. Her home faces a school yard across the street so 8MP HFW-1831E could be a problem.
Search is your friend.
Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, I'd forgotten it was missing some of the IVS functions.
Looks like it's missing "Face Detection" which isn't that useful and abandoned / missing object detection.
Smart Functions in IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS
  • Smart Plan only has IVS
  • IVS only has Tripwire and Intrusion box.
Smart Functions in 5231ZE:
  • Face Detection
  • IVS
  • Tripwire
  • Intrusion
  • Abandoned Object
  • Missing Object