Why don't TinyCam be on iOS

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Please please please, why not have TinyCam be on iOS?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Just did a search and there is an app called TinyCam, no idea if it is the same as what you are referring to?

simocyz

n3wb
Reaction score
+1
iOS alternative apps aren’t much (can’t find a good alternative to the official app, that looks awful).
Tinycam would sell a lot on iOS

wrybread

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I agree! I used to use Live Cams Pro on an iPad, which was pretty good, though still not as good as Tiny Cams Pro. That's now gone from the App Store for some reason. Would be awesome to have something as good as Tiny Cam Pro on iOS.

And if anyone knows of a good iOS alternative, please post!

Matthew Craig

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A lot of functions needed for a stand alone ip camera app cannot be used in ios. This is because the OS is locked down with barely any background access and functionality for app developers. An exact port to ios just would not work without jail breaking it/ rooting the phone. Apple's TOS states that an app can't be on the app store for a rooted phone.

wrybread

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A lot of functions needed for a stand alone ip camera app cannot be used in ios.
Nonsense. There's lots of apps in the App Store that work just fine with my Dahua camera for example, controlling all aspects of it. The problem is they're low quality apps, not that the functionality is missing or impossible.

A camera viewer is just a movie player that sends requests via what are essentially calls to a web interface. Very simple stuff.

Last edited:

Matthew Craig

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Nonsense. There's lots of apps in the App Store that work just fine with my Dahua camera for example, controlling all aspects of it. The problem is they're low quality apps, not that the functionality is missing or impossible.

A camera viewer is just a movie player that sends requests via what are essentially calls to a web interface. Very simple stuff.
I was thinking of the background capabilities that iOS could do. iOS doesn't really like background apps and can be tricky when locking the screen. It isn't impossible but hard to find an app that is like android ip cam apps, such as ip webcam or tiny cam (android).

wrybread

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can you give a specific example of something that Tiny Cam Pro does that you think wouldn't be possible in an App Store approved iOS app?

Last edited: