Why Intel over Amd?

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I been reading over the forums and noticed a lot of the chiefs on here highly recommend Intel.
Why?
Are they really worth it?

I am not a fan of neither - Till one of them can give us a 250 core processor! :D

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Simply because of power consumption. The intel will be way more efficient. Intel dominates in efficiency. The high end amd's use way more power than the equivalent intel, and thats without factoring the extra cost and power consumption of the video card as the high power fx series does not have on board video. The difference is substantial and the 150 you save is quickly diminished by the cost of a video card and your power bill and the heat increase...you will make your money back on the intel in a year or two maybe less depending on where you live..
If you are buying the system prebuilt like I do (business class refurbished) intel is the same price as the AMD systems...3-400 for the i5 haswell's and 500 - 600 for the i7's...

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmmmmmm, I never gave the video card much thought. The 5-6 hundred for a i7 setup is very reasonable. Thanks!

5164george

n3wb
Reaction score
The purpose in adding a video card is to provide dedicated video memory (not shared with the main processor) and provide a dedicated video processor usually 64 bit to take the video processing load off the motherboard CPU. Video processing is a very intensive CPU activity, all the better to have it off loaded to a dedicated Video processor and leave the mother board or main processor to do it's intended job of running programs, services, printers and the like. At the same time motherboard RAM is totally dedicated to the main CPU and not shared with the video processor CPU thereby eliminating intermixed access cycles to motherboard RAM by the Main CPU and the video processor CPU.

George

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The purpose in adding a video card is to provide dedicated video memory (not shared with the main processor) and provide a dedicated video processor usually 64 bit to take the video processing load off the motherboard CPU. Video processing is a very intensive CPU activity, all the better to have it off loaded to a dedicated Video processor and leave the mother board or main processor to do it's intended job of running programs, services, printers and the like. At the same time motherboard RAM is totally dedicated to the main CPU and not shared with the video processor CPU thereby eliminating intermixed access cycles to motherboard RAM by the Main CPU and the video processor CPU.

George
Any benefit of using dedicated video is greatly outweighed by the extra power consumption..The OP was presumably referring to a PC NVR system. In that case a video card is not recommended at all. There is absolutely zero benefit. A system with 4gb of ram shared with intel HD could easily handle 15 or more cameras (depending on the software used) without issue..you are better off adding another 4gb of ram then a video card. Same with the processing the graphics, it has minimal impact on the cpu.

5164george

n3wb
Reaction score
We should not lose sight of why Graphic processors were ever built into a CPU chip to begin with. NOT to make them better but to make them less expensive and thus be able build a cheaper computer. That motive has not changed. When we see an integrated CPU and GPU on the motherboard CPU chip, that is the sign of a computer system built for a lesser purpose not greater performance. A PC without a display unit does not seem very useful at all. George

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It depends on what performance you are looking for...For high end 3d rendering or gaming yes..for displaying a bunch of camera feeds? No...it will only bring the system down, by increasing power consumption, heat, and adding a point of failure.