Why is BI app using my microphone?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I received a notification on my Android phone that my BI app was using my microphone when the phone was inactive this evening.

Wondering Why?
As far as I know it does not have any voice activated features or other reason to be accessing my phone's microphone.

Screenshot_20180403-211953_SecurityLogAgent.jpg Screenshot_20180403-211917_Chrome.jpg

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some camera's have 2-way audio. What version of android are you running?

Apps that try to record audio in the background are something to be concerned about.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
BI server and app on current version.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That is odd... I'd suggest letting Blue Iris support know about that one.

My best guess is that the app received a push notification (motion-triggered alert?) which woke it up in the background ... though why it would do anything microphone-related at that point is beyond me.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BI server and app on current version.
You should be able to revoke the app's microphone permissions. *if you don't use 2-way audio on any of your cams.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You should be able to revoke the app's microphone permissions.
he might need that if he has a mic with speaker....
if the popup was a one time event its nothing to be concerned about...likely a glitch...otherwise if it was intended it would happen all the time and to lots of other folks using samsung phones that report this.....

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think it may be a new function of the latest firmware update to my S8 as I am getting other types of "behind the scenes usage FYI type notifications about other apps too now since the last update. I do not get these on my tablet which is stuck on android 4.0 and no longer gets updates. This i seemed to be an odd one to get.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think it may be a new function of the latest firmware update to my S8 as I am getting other types of "behind the scenes usage FYI type notifications about other apps too now since the last update. I do not get these on my tablet which is stuck on android 4.0 and no longer gets updates. This i seemed to be an odd one to get.
If you don't use 2 way audio on any cams just revoke the mic permission.

Matt L.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm glad it watches out for mic usage on a side-note. It's not BI I worry about.