Why live there?!?

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ll never understand how people justify living by things that will impact your life - forever?!? It’s not lost on me that people are enticed by cheap land and having the opportunity to be a home owner.

But when you see people living by a major rail road, airport, trucking, etc. How do you ever get a solid nights sleep? You have a baby good luck. Going to listen to music or watch a show - good luck.

I just don’t ever see myself doing this at all!

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This would only bother people who want to live in absolute peace and quiet. Others enjoy the sights and sounds because they want to be around constant activity. I'm between the two types.

Eventually, people adjust to their environment.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ll never understand how people justify living by things that will impact your life - forever?!? It’s not lost on me that people are enticed by cheap land and having the opportunity to be a home owner.

But when you see people living by a major rail road, airport, trucking, etc. How do you ever get a solid nights sleep? You have a baby good luck. Going to listen to music or watch a show - good luck.

i lived 2 years in NYC. I can tell you, this is silent.

US mostly uses paper as walls and what they call windows is just simple 1mm glass., so you not only hear everyone else in your building, instead you hear the whole city.

Most european countries with inner city airports have sheduled flight plans from 6-22 or in Fahrenheit 6am-10pm.

If someone comes from outside a city , everything is too loud for them.

What gets me is that people will by a house next to an airport and then complain about the noise. :(
Thats happen here all the time. After the owner died or go somewhere else the new owners pay much less than normal (because of the noise) and then they start to complain about and also start petitions against the noise source. Just stupid.

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
What gets me is that people will by a house next to an airport and then complain about the noise. :(
Yes, or one of the oldest forms of transportation like a RR! It’s not like the RR wasn’t there a hundred years ago! Seeing so called condos being erected next to one of the busiest rail lines mere feet away.

Only for them to complain the hourly rumbling, horn, and 109 plus cars are intolerable?!?

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
The same with HOA's. People buy into a development, then complain about the covenants and bi-laws after the purchase.
Agreed, I’ll never understand how it is a person would want someone else telling you when it’s OK to BBQ?!? That your garage door must be left opened - WTF?!? Or that bikes can’t be left out from X time from Y time on the driveway?!?

I mean some common sense things like no cutting the lawn at 4:00 AM makes sense!

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I used to sleep like a baby next to Amtrak about 50ft away, doing 90+ MPH.
It shook then S___ out of the racks.
At Main-side Quantico!
When I lived in NYC back in the day had to stay with a relative for a short while. The apartment bedroom window was literally 6-8 feet from the tracks.

I was probably the meanest SOB to be around as I’m crazy short tempered when I’m not well rested. Having to endure that for a month made me appreciate a few cars passing by every hour seem like nothing!

Just can’t do it anymore . . .

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
There's a creek about a quarter mile from me. I understand the "romance" of living with a creek in the backyard and it certainly is nice and picturesque. Unfortunately it's also a flood plain so, periodically, it floods and they get three or four feet of water in the house. Every time, "we will rebuild". Every time loans, funded by the public to rebuild. Finally, after the last disaster, the State got some Federal funds and has bought them all out. Now the process of tearing all the houses down, say 20-30 houses.

The same thing at the shore, and there we're talking about high priced real estate and high priced damage every time a hurricane or strong Nor' Easter comes by. Why do people keep rebuilding when Mother Nature will tear it down again? Maybe it's a status thing, maybe it's being hard headed or is it just plain dumb?

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
A friend of mine went to Lake Havasu City the other day for the weekend and to meet up with some friends. So I looked up the area on Google Maps and was looking at the houses at the East end of the city next to the mountains. Well there are washes between the little mountain ranges and guess what? Yep, houses built up in that area. It does not get that much rain in that part area of Arizona but they do get horrendous downpours from time to time in the Monsoon Season and it will flash flood. It may take 20 years for the big one, but it will happen.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
There's a creek about a quarter mile from me. I understand the "romance" of living with a creek in the backyard and it certainly is nice and picturesque. Unfortunately it's also a flood plain so, periodically, it floods and they get three or four feet of water in the house. Every time, "we will rebuild". Every time loans, funded by the public to rebuild. Finally, after the last disaster, the State got some Federal funds and has bought them all out. Now the process of taring all the houses down, say 20-30 houses.

The same thing at the shore, and there we're talking about high priced real estate and high priced damage every time a hurricane or strong Nor' Easter comes by. Why do people keep rebuilding when Mother Nature will tear it down again? Maybe it's a status thing, maybe it's being hard headed or is it just plain dumb?
Absolutely can relate to the above as in our area lots of rich folks who have McMansions they call cabins?!? Anyways like you every year depending upon the amount of snow fall certain areas were flooded from 2 feet to 12!

Yet every year the public would have to fill out funds to repair the so called disaster?!? They literally one year bought not one but three high tech sand baggers to help build the rain dikes.

Each unit cost something crazy stupid of $250K.

Like you after 50 years of this insanity the new government said if you stay it’s on you.

No free rides . . .

Of course you guessed it all of these rich fuckers knows someone in the government and since they are huge donors to their re-election campaign they waffled for a few moments until the press outted these dirty pricks!

So the government had to make good on that promise no more bail out!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Indeed an issue ..

Not enough land around metro areas for everything .. often whomever zoned areas also failed to do a good job.

Quiet living is not easy in metro areas ... trains, trucks, ambulances, fire engines, police, planes, helicopters, fast and furious wanna bes .. loud party people .. people yelling at dogs .. garbage trucks ..

The Zoning issues are very hard ones to address with airports, as the flight path takes a lot of room and the noise travels a lot.

Ideally, wooded areas will help reduce the noise .. but few areas want to not use the land for other profitable uses.

Recently I have seen homes built in areas which have rock quarries, farming ( live stock, chickens ) and gun ranges, as well as airports - and over time the new locals demand those close up.

( example Houston - lots of homes in flood zones .. )

1635099036983.png

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, I’ve read about a few places where new homes were built on top of a old garbage dump?!? As I recall there was this so called once in a lifetime event where the ground heaved and moved.

So what does that have to do with the new homes?!? Whelps for whatever reason that area doesn’t have or follow any building codes so there wasn’t a mandate to dig to undisturbed soil! So with any fly by night developer they built using the bare minimum of best practices.

Think all of those crazy videos you see about Chinese buildings just collapsing from a slight breeze!

Anyways, as soon as rain fell into the open spaces in the ground it washed out what the homes were built upon. Two years in a giant sink hole just ate up rows of houses that were built on literally garbage! When one of the homes were dug up there was probably 50 years of tampons, diapers, bottles, etc.

The power company came by about 30 seconds too late and the gases from the garbage lit up the entire area for more than a month because they FD couldn’t put out the one section of tires that were smouldering and burning underneath!

Anyone ever see a burning pile of tires?!? If you want 100 ways to die and get cancer that’s it right there! The toxic fumes coming off the tires and all the chemicals from 50 years of plastics.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
About 10 years ago we were able to metal detect a future housing development between Dallas
and Ft. Worth just south of I-20. It was a practice bombing range from WWII...

All of us dug pox loads of little bomblets about 1 foot long. While taking a lunch break from hunting,
I joked about some potential "new home owner" calling SWAT and the bomb squad because of what they dug up!
WE all laughed and went back to digging.

Low and behold about 6 months later they evacuated the new neighborhood! BOMBS, BOMBS duds.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
About 10 years ago we were able to metal detect a future housing development between Dallas
and Ft. Worth just south of I-20. It was a practice bombing range from WWII...

All of us dug pox loads of little bomblets about 1 foot long. While taking a lunch break from hunting,
I joked about some potential "new home owner" calling SWAT and the bomb squad because of what they dug up!
WE all laughed and went back to digging.

Low and behold about 6 months later they evacuated the new neighborhood! BOMBS, BOMBS duds.
Yup, there was a TV special about different parts of Europe. It showed what some of the farmers and new developments found while digging. Lots of mines and bombs.

In one caption they showed a tiller blown in a dozen pieces. It’s safe to say the farmer was probably the luckiest man in the world that day. Instead of dying and blown apart he was shot into the air more than 50 feet into the air and away. More luck followed as he fell into a water way which softened the landing.

If the tractor he was driving had a enclosed top frame he would have just died instantly by being crushed into the roof of the cabin.