Why megapixel over analog?

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For one thing the cabling, much more of a pain in the arse for analog, it is far easier to setup digital, and is more future ready. It really will depend on your application - how you intend to use it. For the average home user digital is much more flexiible (can you say WiFi), however, in a commercial environment analog still has its place (its cheap).

To be fair analog has some advantages at lower resolutions, ones that will disapear as digital progresses (like it has in movie production).

Greyblack

n3wb
Reaction score
For one thing the cabling, much more of a pain in the arse for analog, it is far easier to setup digital, and is more future ready. It really will depend on your application - how you intend to use it. For the average home user digital is much more flexiible (can you say WiFi), however, in a commercial environment analog still has its place (its cheap).

To be fair analog has some advantages at lower resolutions, ones that will disapear as digital progresses (like it has in movie production).
Why is cabling a bigger pain in the ass with analog? Pulling cable is pulling cable. Most analog systems now a days are done with Cat5 and baluns at either end. I guess if you are still pulling RG59 siamese cable, it is a little bulkier, but I wouldn't say it's much harder. As I said pulling cable is pulling cable.

As for the original question, the megapixel clarity for the price of the equipment is exceptional. With a mediocre IP cam compared to a mediocre analog cam in the example similar to the above, the IP cam you can clearly make out the bills in the drawer, the analog cam you could probably make out that you are looking at a cash drawer, but it would probably be hard to make out one bill from another.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was actually letting my picture sample answer the original question, rather than áctually' asking the queston. LOL

Greyblack

n3wb
Reaction score
I understand that, I thought the question was rhetorical. However the respondent went off on another tangent, I was merely trying to make the see the obvious.

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why is cabling a bigger pain in the ass with analog? Pulling cable is pulling cable. Most analog systems now a days are done with Cat5 and baluns at either end. I guess if you are still pulling RG59 siamese cable, it is a little bulkier, but I wouldn't say it's much harder. As I said pulling cable is pulling cable.
I disagree with both statments here.

1. Pullling Cat5/6 cable is NOT the same as pulling RG59 (more than "a little" bulky) cable. Besides the obvious difference in cable size (plus analog sytems will have seperate power/audio - unless its a combo) the cabling for analog systems is more expensive, ugly, and dead technology (IMO). POE camera cabling is far easier (and less expensive).

2. Most analog systems do NOT use Cat5/6 cable. You have to use ugly adapters for that (similar to POE injectors - except you need them on both ends) and you reduce quality in that setup (not always, but still, yuck!). The inexpensive (cheap) analog systems they typically sell in retail box stores are pre-packaged with cable/NVR/cameras, which makes them attractive to some people (I'm not one of them).

As for the original question, the megapixel clarity for the price of the equipment is exceptional. With a mediocre IP cam compared to a mediocre analog cam in the example similar to the above, the IP cam you can clearly make out the bills in the drawer, the analog cam you could probably make out that you are looking at a cash drawer, but it would probably be hard to make out one bill from another.
This is very subjective and really depends on your application. You say mediocre analog vs. digital, I'd like to know what you think that is (pixel vs TVL), and I'd like to know the price point. Analog cameras are on their way out and so the deals on them (from a price point of view) are hard to beat (sales on them everywhere).

Not all camera applications require hi definition (remember before digital everyone thought 480 TVL was oh sooo good - and it wasn't THAT long ago). There are many applications where an analog sytem is fine (not that I would install one - ever).

I was actually letting my picture sample answer the original question, rather than áctually' asking the queston. LOL
It would help if they were at the same perspective and you specified the resolution of each camera, the pictures were worthless for a direct comparison. My comment was on the general question itself - not the pictures.

Why I ever even responded to an obvious NON QUESTION (you already had the answer in your mind - more like a troll question) is beyond me - you'd think I'd know better by now. Suffice it to say that people have different opinions on analog vs. digital and we know what yours is.

I've only brushed on the arguments of analog vs. digital, there are many. Remember when there was an argument over vinyl records and CD? How about movie production - film vs digital? In time digital will win the day, however, that is my opinion and observed result from prior analog vs digital technology.

So once again I am sorry I ever responded to this post. :rolleyes:

Git

Banned
Reaction score
It would help if they were at the same perspective and you specified the resolution of each camera, the pictures were worthless for a direct comparison. My comment was on the general question itself - not the pictures.
I could be wrong - but I believe he posted those pictures to show how clear they are even when you digitally zoom in. (its the same pic in both shots).

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You could be right, point is though there isn't enough information given to make them of any use in a comparison between analog and digita. I thought one was analog and the other digital - very confusing - so I responeded to the question - not the pictures.

What was most disturbing was the beratement of a forum members post (by a moderator no less) with no cause, this is what disturbed me the most. You'd think a moderator would know better.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Guys, I guess it was my mistake. I should have been more informative. The two pictures are of an IP camera in normal state and the other picture is of the same camera digitally zoomed in. I asked why use IP over analog because an analog camera would not digitally zoom in like this and I wanted to show what a digitally zoomed IP camera is capable of. Now, if the two pictures were of the same EXACT image, and one was clear and the other less clear, I can see the confusion.

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guys, I guess it was my mistake. I should have been more informative.
Agreed, pity you didn't just stop with this statement.

The two pictures are of an IP camera in normal state and the other picture is of the same camera digitally zoomed in. I asked why use IP over analog because an analog camera would not digitally zoom in like this and I wanted to show what a digitally zoomed IP camera is capable of. Now, if the two pictures were of the same EXACT image, and one was clear and the other less clear, I can see the confusion.
Actually you never asked that question in your post, there is only the thread title and the statement "You tell me...", and there is absolutely NO description of the photos and their meaning. If you had actually asked that question and put in that information about the photos, you would have gotten an appropriate response.

So for the half apology I offer you half of a "no problem, forgiven". :cool:

Greyblack

n3wb
Reaction score

1. Pullling Cat5/6 cable is NOT the same as pulling RG59 (more than "a little" bulky) cable. Besides the obvious difference in cable size (plus analog sytems will have seperate power/audio - unless its a combo) the cabling for analog systems is more expensive, ugly, and dead technology (IMO). POE camera cabling is far easier (and less expensive).
If we are talking about pulling Cat6 vs straight up RG59, they are very similar in size. Looking at some specifications they are both roughly .24 inches. The little bulkier part of my statement was if you use siamese cable for analog, it's pretty much like pulling 2 cables at once.

And yes I agree, rg59/siamese cabling is more expensive, as far as ugly, wire is wire. Whoever installed it can make the quality appearance of the install, I agree making RG59 siamese look good can be more time consuming.

2. Most analog systems do NOT use Cat5/6 cable. You have to use ugly adapters for that (similar to POE injectors - except you need them on both ends) and you reduce quality in that setup (not always, but still, yuck!). The inexpensive (cheap) analog systems they typically sell in retail box stores are pre-packaged with cable/NVR/cameras, which makes them attractive to some people (I'm not one of them).
I agree and disagree, most analog systems out there are using coax. Most analog systems installed in the last few years are using Cat5/6 with baluns, and not using coax. Once again the cabling cost for analog is higher even still since you have to add the price of the baluns at both ends in the equation.

This is very subjective and really depends on your application. You say mediocre analog vs. digital, I'd like to know what you think that is (pixel vs TVL), and I'd like to know the price point. Analog cameras are on their way out and so the deals on them (from a price point of view) are hard to beat (sales on them everywhere).

Not all camera applications require hi definition (remember before digital everyone thought 480 TVL was oh sooo good - and it wasn't THAT long ago). There are many applications where an analog sytem is fine (not that I would install one - ever).
I agree, there are some great deals on analog equipment out there, and analog could be fine for a lot of peoples situations. As for cost, you can get a superior quality IP camera for little to no additional cost over the analog (nothing bank breaking here). The original vague question was just a comment of the picture superiority, nothing more.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Agreed, pity you didn't just stop with this statement.

Actually you never asked that question in your post, there is only the thread title and the statement "You tell me...", and there is absolutely NO description of the photos and their meaning. If you had actually asked that question and put in that information about the photos, you would have gotten an appropriate response.

So for the half apology I offer you half of a "no problem, forgiven". :cool:
I'm not a moderator and I must say, you're over the top and should chill. No one cares that you didn't get it. It's a misunderstanding of the intent of the original post, that's all. No need to be so bent out of shape.

Who says a picture paints a thousand words!

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All I see is the bills are not facing the same direction and the fiver is upside down.. Why would someone put singles on both ends?

I must be OCD or something :nuts:

fasteddie

n3wb
Reaction score
The singles on the end is probably an extra $50. Back in the day I always threw the extras under the drawer and put the checks there and big bills under the checks.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you Shock for understanding my post. As a moderator, I don't want to fight over stupid things with members, but you are right. Zxel just did not get what I was going for. Does my post say 'why would someone chose megapixel over an analog camera?' or does it say megapixel over analog? For myself and I'm sure others, it is very clear that those two pictures are from the same camera and not from an IP camera and an analog camera. Anyway, it's not a big deal, so i will let it slide.