Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey So i Currently have a

- Cisco WS-C3560X-24P-L (Switch)
&
- 2x IPC-T5442T-ZE

I believe the router with an OpenVPN would allow me to:
1 - Remote access into my BI computer from anywhere
2 - Also allow me to keep my cams off my main network.

Would it be better/easier to just go with 2 NICS in my BI computer ?

I already have a switch, is a router necessary ?

Also if I were to get a router, I am debating between:

Asus RT-AC68U - $118 Amazon
Asus RT-AC86U - $170 Amazon
ASUS AC2600 (Blue Cave) - $118 Amazon

Final setup will be 8 cameras around my house.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Depends on your level of security comfort.

OpenVPN keeps your cameras off the internet. Otherwise you are port forwarding to your computer.

You do not connect the switch or the cameras to the wifi router.

You connect all your cameras to a switch connected to NIC1 of the BI computer.

Connect the internet and router to NIC2 of the BI computer.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How are you connected to the internet now at the camera liocation (home) ?
who is your internet provider ?
Your current router/modem what is the make and model number ?

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you considering replacing your existing router as it doesn't have any VPN server capabilities?
Exactly

My current router is actually acting up: Netgear C6300-100NAS AC1750.

I just spent hours trying to connect to the routers admin login page. Spoke with tech support they said to RMA it.

But the one time I was able to log in, i followed the manual and saw that there was no option for VPN settings under the advanced menu.

So in short, yes i am contemplating replacing my router.

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How are you connected to the internet now at the camera liocation (home) ?
who is your internet provider ?
Your current router/modem what is the make and model number ?
So i just got the cameras in the mail from @EMPIRETECANDY (Thanks Andy !!!)

So they are not installed yet. I still need to test them at every location.

I have an International ISP.

Current router model : Netgear C6300-100NAS AC1750.

I want to replace the router because I'm pretty sure it's broken, and I'm also pretty sure it does not support a VPN.

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Depends on your level of security comfort.

OpenVPN keeps your cameras off the internet. Otherwise you are port forwarding to your computer.

You do not connect the switch or the cameras to the wifi router.

You connect all your cameras to a switch connected to NIC1 of the BI computer.

Connect the internet and router to NIC2 of the BI computer.
Ooooo this actually makes sense.

I have a little HP Elite desk 600 G1.

Are there any recommendations for second NICs ?

Something cheap off eBay ??

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are not providing enough information, when asked a question answer it in detail.
Who is your internet provider ?
What type of service, wireless, cable, fiber ?

it can not be international ISP unless you do not live in the USA. What are you hiding ?

A second nic costs less then $20 US on Amazon, make sure you get the correct card for an open slot.

Reaction score
Most ISP's supply a Modem/Router combination to you for your connection to the internet.

How are you currently connected to the internet? Who is your ISP? ATT, Comcast, etc? Did they supply you with a Modem/Router?

Is the Netgear router you are talking about provided by your ISP?

Your BI PC probably has a single ethernet RJ45 socket on the motherboard. For the dual NIC to work, you will need one open PCI-E slot to install a PCI-E NIC. I used the following NIC:

Amazon.com: Intel EXPI9301CTBLK 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express Network Adapter 1 x RJ45: Computers & Accessories

See the diagrams below on how to connect the dual NIC setup.

This one is for a typical setup where the ISP provides a Modem/Router combination for your connection to the internet.

Network Topology 0B.JPG

This one below is if you wanted to place a VPN capable router downstream of your ISP provided Modem/Router combination.

Network Topology 6.JPG

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are not providing enough information, when asked a question answer it in detail.
Who is your internet provider ?
What type of service, wireless, cable, fiber ?

it can not be international ISP unless you do not live in the USA. What are you hiding ?

A second nic costs less then $20 US on Amazon, make sure you get the correct card for an open slot.
OK first off, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question and help me out.

Second, just because you are helping me does NOT give you the right to be rude.

I am not hiding anything. I am USA active duty military serving over seas, I still pay US Taxes.

My ISP is a local company called GTA Teleguam. They are offering me fiber services (or so they say)

I will invest in a second NIC.

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Most ISP's supply a Modem/Router combination to you for your connection to the internet.

How are you currently connected to the internet? Who is your ISP? ATT, Comcast, etc? Did they supply you with a Modem/Router?

Is the Netgear router you are talking about provided by your ISP?

Your BI PC probably has a single ethernet RJ45 socket on the motherboard. For the dual NIC to work, you will need one open PCI-E slot to install a PCI-E NIC. I used the following NIC:

Amazon.com: Intel EXPI9301CTBLK 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express Network Adapter 1 x RJ45: Computers & Accessories

See the diagrams below on how to connect the dual NIC setup.

This one is for a typical setup where the ISP provides a Modem/Router combination for your connection to the internet.

View attachment 85802

This one below is if you wanted to place a VPN capable router downstream of your ISP provided Modem/Router combination.

View attachment 85803
So yes, my local ISP supplied me a router. I currently have my router downstream of my ISP provided Modem/Router combination. (My router is essentially acting as a access point, right? )

My local ISP supplied me a different router, i forget the brand and model. I can write it down today after work. The netgear is my own personal router.

I am currently connected to the internet from my personal router (Netgear). My main Desktop PC is connected through wifi, my BI is connected through ethernet. Both are connect to my Netgear router.
GTA is providing me Fiber.

I will ensure I have an open PCI-E slot before I buy a NIC.

My local ISP is GTA Teleguam.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I spent a couple of weeks in Guam years ago, nice place with great beaches!

General rule of thumb is not to run video cameras through a router. Consumer grade and ISP routers just don't have the bandwidth capacity to handle cameras, Sure they can stream a movie, but that uses buffering. Video cameras do not buffer at all and the combined streams can easily overload their backplane. Run the cameras and the PC to a switch. Connect the switch to the router for internet access for the PC.

Last edited:
Reaction score
my local ISP supplied me a router. I currently have my router downstream of my ISP provided Modem/Router combination. (My router is essentially acting as a access point, right? )
Your router (Netgear one) may or may not be acting as an (wireless?) access point. It depends on how it is set up. Generally it is not necessary (or wise) to run a router connected to another router, unless your network configuration requires it. If your ISP supplied router supports VPN, then that would be all you need. If it does not support VPN, then putting a router that supports VPN downstream of it is fine as long as you put the ISP supplied router in bridge mode. That would effectively 'remove' the ISP supplied router from the equation. It just passes everything through without doing any processing.

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your router (Netgear one) may or may not be acting as an (wireless?) access point. It depends on how it is set up. Generally it is not necessary (or wise) to run a router connected to another router, unless your network configuration requires it. If your ISP supplied router supports VPN, then that would be all you need. If it does not support VPN, then putting a router that supports VPN downstream of it is fine as long as you put the ISP supplied router in bridge mode. That would effectively 'remove' the ISP supplied router from the equation. It just passes everything through without doing any processing.
Any opinion on the router recommendations ?
@sebastiantombs
@samplenhold

Asus RT-AC68U - $118 Amazon
Asus RT-AC86U - $170 Amazon
ASUS AC2600 (Blue Cave) - $118 Amazon

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Anyone of them will work well. I'm using a 68U connected to Verizon FiOS directly. VPN was point click and add the file to my phone. I'd expect the other two to be just as easy to set up a VPN on. I get over a gig connection speed on this craptop but I am using a Netgear A7000 WiFi dongle, dual band.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many here run the 68 version as it has more options for firmware mods (merlin or tomato) than the 86 model has. If I recall correctly the 86 is supported by merlin mods but not tomato. If you plan on running stock firmware, then it really doesn't matter which one you get.

TheSwede

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Pls, observe that the -86 has MUCH better processor for VPN speed.
-68 gives about 30Mb and the -86 gives 150-200Mb VPN speed.
I use -86 with Merlin and it works fine.

Brgds TheSwede

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@TheSwede @wittaj

Why flash a different firmware?
Better stability? Better hardware utilization?

I found a Asus Blue Cave for $65.
I hear mixed reviews on it, but that price is too good to pass up.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many people prefer Merlin, which is open source firmware that is constantly being updated. When was the last time your router (or Asus router) has had a firmware update?