Why we harp about NEVER using CCA ethernet cable.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Looking Out

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I purchased some DripStone cable that said that it would be "Solid Cat 6" and it ended up being CCA. I tried to call them and start the return process but their phone number never is answered and the VM is full. I disputed it with my credit card using the fact that there is no such thing as CAT6 cable that is CCA and was refunded 100%.

I ended up buying 1000ft box of Cat 5E from True Cable and could not be happier. I purchased their pass through connectors and boots at the same time and I would recommend them to anyone.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Dripstone's terminology is misleading unless you take the time to learn it, which should not be needed. In Dripstone-onics, "solid" means CCA. To get copper you have to look for terms like "pure copper" and "bare copper". I caught onto this because the price of the "solid" cable was too good to be true and I looked deeper. All that aside they do have some very good deals on copper cable, especially with open box items.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
I see solid or stranded options with wire. That is something different. Never seen stranded cat5e before, but I presume its used in certain applications.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I see solid or stranded options with wire. That is something different. Never seen stranded cat5e before, but I presume its used in certain applications.
Basically every premade cable is made with stranded, even the really long 100f cables. This allows them to bend back and fourth without causing damage to the cable.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I purchased my Cat5e external grade cable direct from the manufacturer and made sure it was solid copper, as it turns out they don’t do CCA cable of any form, also purchased some wall boxes and other bits and pieces at the same time.

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The CAT5/6 CCA nonsense also extends to RG6 coax. But instead of CCA they produce what is called CCS (copper clad steel). CCS has limited current carrying characteristics and should not be used in runs that provide power (e.g. Dish antenna installations). And just like what we experience with CCA, the CCS ads are often cleverly written to fool us.

- Thomas

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
The CAT5/6 CCA nonsense also extends to RG6 coax. But instead of CCA they produce what is called CCS (copper clad steel). CCS has limited current carrying characteristics and should not be used in runs that provide power (e.g. Dish antenna installations). And just like what we experience with CCA, the CCS ads are often cleverly written to fool us.

- Thomas
RG-6 is 75 ohm cable, for cable TV. Cables to stay away from for radio transceiver's 50 ohm spec. would be RG-58 and RG-316. Both of those coax designations have copper coated steel as the core. CCS will have the highest db loss /100'.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have 1000' of trueCABLE direct bury gel-filled outdoor solid copper CAT 6 cable being delivered today. The price direct from trueCABLE was $22 less than the Amazon price, and they gave me a 10% veteran discount, saving me ~$50 from what would have been the cost via Amazon, and they were faster than Prime delivery would have been. Ordered on Thu, delivery on Sat.

Looking Out

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Aside from the positive experiences many of us share with TrueCable, I also had great success with this Southwire outdoor (Not burial rated) wire that I used for some exterior exposed runs. A wooden spool of 300ft of exterior Cat 5E for ~$36 with local stock for me was hard to beat for my small project needs.

Michael11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know this post is older, but I've spent countless hours trying to find decent cable. It seems every company has the "cable you need," but when you search the reviews for POE you see it doesn't work. Whether that's because the person didn't know what they're doing (most the people who leave reviews like that in my experience) or it's true. I don't want to buy wire for it not to work and then have non-returnable wire because I cut it.

I'm on truecables website and they have a place they will recommend a cable for your needs. They choose Cat6 and Cat6A (both shielded) for my choose of only needing 1GBase speed. Here are their products, the prices are crazy with inflation. I mean, assuming you can do most your runs with 100feet of cable, you're almost at $20 per camera. Just venting a bit!
Bulk Cable | Bulk Ethernet Cable | trueCABLE

I did order 100 feet of pre-cut cable hoping it would work because having the ends put on is great and is almost the same price as ordering in bulk. It's $16 for 100 feet but I'm going to return it because I don't think it will work. And for $4 more per camera (assuming 100-foot runs) I can get what I need.
Amazon.com: Maxlin Cable Cat6 Ethernet Cable for Gaming Black 100ft LAN Network Patch Cord Wire - High Speed Internet Cable with Clips, RJ45, 24AWG, 500MHz Connectors for Router Modem, Compatible with PS3 PS4 PS5 : Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
TrueCable, ShowmeCAble, Monoprice are all good vendors.

Good cable is not cheap.

If you are using this cable for Cameras, cat5e is plenty good.
The last place you want to cut corners is cable, it is the back bone of any cam network.

The premade cable you link is a no name, who knows what you will get item. Usually best to avoid. :oops:

Michael11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The premade cable you link is a no name, who knows what you will get item. Usually best to avoid. :oops:
I said I was returning it!

No one wants to sell cat5e anymore because everyone needs cat6! I'll check out those other vendors. I was just heading out the store to an electric distribution company that sells directly to electricians to see what they carry figuring I might save on the "free shipping" add on from online vendors.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Plenty of Cat5e around. If you lived close by i'd sell you some hunks....LOL
I got 230 feet left on a roll
Maybe you could reimburse your purchase of 1000 ft. by selling it off in chunks?
just spit ballin.
use what you need and put it on Craigslist the cable footage is marked from 1000 backwards to 2 feet in 2 foot increments
if you got 750 left over over sell it maybe 30% off.

Michael11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
$119 after free shipping, taxes, and coupons! I thought I needed shielded, but I really never used that in the past and never had issues. But my historical experience is for computer runs.

1674068637306.png