Wi-Fi Direct?

Kaos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have several Foscam cameras up and they are working great with BI. My main problem is data usage. I have a 250GB monthly limit with my service provider and I am worried I will reach that this month.
95% of our camera viewing is on mobile devices with range of our home LAN, but the way things are configured the data is going thru my LAN - to my provider -back to my LAN - to my mobile device.
Is there a way that will avoid sending the data to my service provider and instead, send it directly to my connected LAN devices?
I do still want the option to view of my LAN also.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Why do you think your data is going "LAN - to my provider -back to my LAN"? In a proper setup the only time data is transmitted over the internet is for remote viewing.

Kaos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why do you think your data is going "LAN - to my provider -back to my LAN"? In a proper setup the only time data is transmitted over the internet is for remote viewing.
I'm assuming it is because of the increase in data usage, considering I don't view "out of LAN" that often.
Maybe I don't completely understand the proper setup. The way I have BI setup on my mobile device is; The local ip with port number and below that the external ip with port number. Does BI know to auto connect to the the local ip that BI is on when in range?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes BI checks the internal ip first…make sure its entered correctly. Even if you use your external address but you are connected to your internal network, i dont think its passed via your isp....(not sure though)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know about your router, but mine lets me use my public IP and public (forwarded) port numbers from inside my LAN, and it routes it as desired without using the internet. If your router has a real-time bandwidth monitor you should be able to do a simple experiment to see if your camera traffic is actually going out through the internet or not. What is your router?

I find it unlikely though that you come close to 250GB a month of mobile camera viewing over the internet, since that would suggest cellular data usage which you would certainly notice on your bill. More likely, your household is streaming too much TV / Movies / youtube / etc. Or maybe if you gave anyone else access to your cameras, they often leave it connected and streaming by accident.

Kaos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I will check my router and hopefully track the usage. Is there a way BI can tell you how it is connected?

I'm only halfway through my monthly billing cycle and already at 145GB. I do very little Netflix streaming, etc... and the increase was very noticeable after my cameras went active. I have noticed a slight increase on my mobile plan, but I have unlimited data so I don't watch it close.

My wife monitors the cameras on two different mobile devices 24-7 so my thinking is both of these mobile devices are not pulling camera data directly off the LAN, but pulling it through my service provider.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
if the mobile devices have data plans (not just wifi) and you have the incorrect info in the local address then it could be using cellular data...you can check the blue iris logs...either via the phone app or on the pc, and it will tell you what ip address the device is logging in with...so disconnect the device and reconnect and see what ip address its using...