Wide(-er) angle IP PoE cam

c c

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Short requirements for camera:
- IP PoE (no power splitter)
- at least 90 degrees FoV
- outdoors (Ireland, so mostly sunny ... j/k, has to resist to 'a bit' of horizontal rain and gale force winds ... hello Ophelia)
- price: ~50-75$/€

Longer story:

I got the Dahua IPC-HDW4233C-A as discussed in this thread:
IPC-HDW4233C-A does it need a separate power supply?

Today I mounted it at the back of the house, but had a test replacing the Kare 3.6mm (aprox 60degrees FOV) front camera (that failed a few days ago). The Dahua caught much more of the driveway with its (declared) 101 degree FoV.

What options would people recommend for at least 90 degrees Fov, PoE (if possible with no extra power splitter needed)

Do Dahua have something like what I bought above, but that powers from Ethernet directly with no splitter? So far I quite like the night time image when compared to the Kare cameras.

My Kare NVR only accepts 720p H.264, but I would also look at 1080p cameras with a view to upgrading the NVR in the future.

Thanks.

PS. I read somewhere here that the wider the FoV, the less chance to identify faces etc... makes sense, but I only have 2 Ethernet cables for the cameras - 1 front, 1 back.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome C C,

Hard to get a more affordable option.

Personally I like the Dahua Starlight series ( the HDW4233C is not really one of those ), they will cost more but can give you great night time images.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

c c

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks mat200 I'll take a look,

I posted a couple of snaps from the HDW4233C in my other thread

Would the Starlights be much better in your opinion?

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks mat200 I'll take a look,

I posted a couple of snaps from the HDW4233C in my other thread

Would the Starlights be much better in your opinion?
fyi - from the notes:

[ updated part follows 4/14/2017 ]
18) DO take a look at thomaswde's comparison of a phone taken from his 16MP cell phone and a 2MP dahua starlight turrent. This is the best visual example of a 2 quality photos - and a good example of MegaPixels being just 1 factor to consider when looking at security cameras.
Great example of Dahua Starlight 2MP Verifocal Performance in low light

c c

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm very close to buying this 4ch Dahua NVR (although 9 euro extra for 8ch, even though I only have 2 cams at the moment and don't think I'll need more) Dahua 4K NVR NVR4104 P 4KS2 4CH with 4 POE NVR4108 P 4KS2 8ch with 4PoE ports replace NVR4104 P NVR4108 P Network Video Recorder-in Surveillance Video Recorder from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

And this 99 degree FOV Varifocal HFW4431R-Z Aliexpress.com : Buy Dahua IPC HFW4431R Z 2.8mm ~12mm varifocal motorized lens network camera 4MP IR 80M ip camera POE cctv camera DH IPC HFW4431R Z from Reliable camera 4mp suppliers on Shop1282343 Store

Looking around to see if I can find cheaper HDDs than what they are offering - 2TB for 70 euro, although in a pinch I should be able to reuse my Kare NVR 1TB hdd, if they're the same sata connection.

Thinking out loud, 2 cameras at 4Mbps, 2TB = 2,000,000MB HDD should be enough for 23 days, or 3 weeks... not bad. If I can record at 8Mbps VBR would be 11 days worst case, probably longer due to VBR.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm very close to buying this 4ch Dahua NVR (although 9 euro extra for 8ch, even though I only have 2 cams at the moment and don't think I'll need more) Dahua 4K NVR NVR4104 P 4KS2 4CH with 4 POE NVR4108 P 4KS2 8ch with 4PoE ports replace NVR4104 P NVR4108 P Network Video Recorder-in Surveillance Video Recorder from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

And this 99 degree FOV Varifocal HFW4431R-Z Aliexpress.com : Buy Dahua IPC HFW4431R Z 2.8mm ~12mm varifocal motorized lens network camera 4MP IR 80M ip camera POE cctv camera DH IPC HFW4431R Z from Reliable camera 4mp suppliers on Shop1282343 Store

Looking around to see if I can find cheaper HDDs than what they are offering - 2TB for 70 euro, although in a pinch I should be able to reuse my Kare NVR 1TB hdd, if they're the same sata connection.

Thinking out loud, 2 cameras at 4Mbps, 2TB = 2,000,000MB HDD should be enough for 23 days, or 3 weeks... not bad. If I can record at 8Mbps VBR would be 11 days worst case, probably longer due to VBR.
Hi C C,

I recommend getting the better NVR for only a little more.

In the USA it is cheaper to buy HDDs online at US stores or in store than purchasing from China, thus I suspect you can find it cheaper in EU online or in store.

Reactions: c c
Reaction score
Definitely get the 8-port NVR rather than the 4-port. For the price difference, it gives you greater capacity. It's surprising how fast you run out of only four ports. Plus, the 8-port will fetch more money if you decide to sell it later.

Reactions: c c

c c

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, any point waiting for Black Friday (or other dates, I keep getting spam about 11.11, is this the Chinese equivalent of Black Friday ? ), are there big reductions on AliExpress normally or nah?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, any point waiting for Black Friday (or other dates, I keep getting spam about 11.11, is this the Chinese equivalent of Black Friday ? ), are there big reductions on AliExpress normally or nah?
Hi C C,

I would certainly wait and see what 11.11 brings, and buy that day if there is a discount.

Black Friday - doubt there will be many sales on individual NVRs in the USA, maybe for some kits.