Widows update kills DS

rtfmplease

n3wb
Reaction score
DeepStack and Windows 10 updates KB5013887 and KB5004331 (both dotNet related)

With either of these updates DS times out and is nonfunctional. KB5013887 is uninstallable through System settings but then I ended up with KB5004331 and it is not. DISM will not remove it either, though I have not tried DISM at boot.

Has anyone else encountered DS problems with these updates and if so was a solution found?

Thanks!

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I understand DISM simply checks your Windows code against the latest version of the code on the MS's internet and overwrites non compliant areas thus giving you a quick clean installation of Windows by achieving a complete repair. The DISM image is always up-to-date and so will have most of the latest patches installed (usually most).

The only way around patches that can't be removed is to roll back to an ealier version using system restore (always a bit dodgy in my experience), or install Windows using an earlier unpatched version eg a CD or full downloaded image off MS. that's an earlier iteration.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Dism is just a utility to manage online/offline images isn’t it? It doesn’t crawl to the web as far as I know, you normally have to point it to a source location to apply/install or specify an installed package to remove.

I’ve used dism in the past to patch update a standard windows 10 image and also pre-install languages, the image was then used to deploy as a base image using something like SCCM, MDT or LANDesk.

rtfmplease

n3wb
Reaction score
DISM can be used to uninstall individual packages, this is not my area of expertise, but I followed instructions found @microsoft.com.

Thanks everyone. I believe I will try SenseAI as an indirect solution and if that works out concentrate on blocking updates.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Dism is just a utility to manage online/offline images isn’t it? It doesn’t crawl to the web as far as I know, you normally have to point it to a source location to apply/install or specify an installed package to remove.

I’ve used dism in the past to patch update a standard windows 10 image and also pre-install languages, the image was then used to deploy as a base image using something like SCCM, MDT or LANDesk.
DISM downloads images off Microsoft automatically and installs them. You have no choice of what version or where to download it from. Usually the image is up-to-date whch means no additional patches are needed, but if your object is to avoid a certain patch, you may find that impossible as a result. DISM is ultrafast and usually solves most windows issues. It also doesn't affect the rest of your pc which is a bonues against a regular install.

I'm only aware of 3 DISM commands but there could be more. These are basically check, repair and clean up.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
DISM downloads images off Microsoft automatically and installs them. You have no choice of what version or where to download it from. Usually the image is up-to-date whch means no additional patches are needed, but if your object is to avoid a certain patch, you may find that impossible as a result. DISM is ultrafast and usually solves most windows issues. It also doesn't affect the rest of your pc which is a bonues against a regular install.

I'm only aware of 3 DISM commands but there could be more. These are basically check, repair and clean up.
Are we talking about the same command?

Can you provide examples of dism downloading and installing images?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Are we talking about the same command?

Can you provide examples of dism downloading and installing images?
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Needs to really be used in conjunction with:

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth (this checks your image for errors so use 1st)

and

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup (this removes installation components after using restore health to leave a clean image)

I believe what restore health does is compare your image to the MS one online and replaces any files / entires that differ from the reference image to leave a clean uptodate installation but I stand to be corrected.

I've used restore health a lot as my current pc is on it's last legs and seems to suffer image corruption a lot almost guaranteed after every windows update, and this fixes it everytime even when other utlilities such as image chkdsk don't.

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
The /online switch just means perform the action on the currently booted OS ie the instance of the OS you are currently using and logged into? If source files are required you’d have to include /source in the command line to point it to a file/folder.

When performing an offline command you’d have to previously mount the image and then point it to the mount point.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I may be wrong in how it works, that's always what I believed. Whenever I've run it, it fixes all issues and Windows is always up to date so however it works, it seems to work for me.

Last edited: